Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2003 2:02:16 PM EDT
OK.  I am wanting to build my own rifle in .308, and am wanting to use a Remington 700 action/receiver as the basis.  My plan is to buy an older used rifle that I can scrap the stock and barrel from.

Therefore, what calibers can I buy to use for making a .308 where I won't have to do much or any work to the bolt face?

Am I correct in stating that the .243 and 7mm will work for .308?  If I remember, the .30-06, .270, and .300WSM are larger than the .308 bolt face.

Also, can I buy an ADL action and convert it to a hinged floorplate like the BDL with the right stock?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#1]
An ADL can be converted, if you want to put up with the trouble.  Short action calibers are .223, .222, .22-250, 6MM Rem, .243 WIN, 7MM-08, .308 and some others.  The bolt face CAN be opened up, so that shouldn't scare you away.  What you need to remember is a 2.8 inch mazimum on cartridge length. Bolt face isn't that important.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#2]
30/06 and .270 are the bolt face diameter (.472")you are looking for.

What you want is a Remington 700 "short action " with a 30/06 bolt face. There are too many of those out there to fool around with opening up a small (222,223,etc.) bolt face. Forget about the magnum bolt face actions also.

Anything in .243 Winchester, .260 Remington, 7mm-08, and .308 (of course)will do.

No problem with a BDL floorplate. All you need is the stock for it and the floorplate.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
30/06 and .270 are the bolt face diameter (.472")you are looking for.

What you want is a Remington 700 "short action " with a 30/06 bolt face. There are too many of those out there to fool around with opening up a small (222,223,etc.) bolt face. Forget about the magnum bolt face actions also.

Anything in .243 Winchester, .260 Remington, 7mm-08, and .308 (of course)will do.

No problem with a BDL floorplate. All you need is the stock for it and the floorplate.

First of all to BF and HV, thanks for your input.

So .30-06 and .270 WILL work?  Although I guess they would be long actions, and I want a short action.  It's amazing to me how very few .308's are actually made and sold compared to .30-06 and .270.  I figured I could find one of those two calibers cheaply...but maybe I should look for a .243 for the short action.

As far as the ADL to BDL conversion, I am still a bit confused...BR and HV seem to have differing opinions on the ease of conversion.

Please, anyone, feel free to expound on both of these topics.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#4]
You need to find a rifle with 0.473 inch bolt face - get a reloading manual to get an idea about which cartridges to look for.

As far as 7mm's go,
-The 7mm Remington Magnum uses a 0.532 bolt face.
-the 7mm Mauser is 0.473
-7-08 is 0.473, no suprise there.

Other cartridges with 0.473 bolt faces -
- 280 Remington (long action),
- 284 Winchester,
- 270 Winchester (long action),
- 225 Winchester,
- 22-250 Remington,
- 243 Winchester,
- 6mm Remington (long action?),
- 250 Savage,
- 300 Savage,
and others.

Some gunsmiths open .223 Remington class (0.378) bolt faces to 0.473, and my guess is that just as many, or more, won't do it and recommend against the practice.

The ring in a ring design of the Model 700 action is a really good feature for protecting the shooter against cartridge head separation or other case failures.  Don't monkey with the integrity of the design, use the right bolt dace to start.  Clapped out Model 700's are available (but hard to find around here because the target shooters buy them up as soon as they hit the market) for about $250 to $300.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So .30-06 and .270 WILL work?  Although I guess they would be long actions, and I want a short action.  It's amazing to me how very few .308's are actually made and sold compared to .30-06 and .270.  I figured I could find one of those two calibers cheaply...but maybe I should look for a .243 for the short action.

Yes, they will work, but I would stick with a short action anyway.

As far as the ADL to BDL conversion, I am still a bit confused...BR and HV seem to have differing opinions on the ease of conversion.
You would need a new stock (preferably synthetic - i.e. McMillan) and you need a new mag box plus the BDL floorplate. There is really no conversion to it; all you do is remove the ADL magbox (it's screwed onto the action) replace it with the BDL magbox (which is wedged into place) and put it all in the new stock. Then you just screw it all together. Tadaa!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:24:33 AM EDT
[#6]
GREAT!  I think all of my questions have been answered.  Unless anyone has further pertinent information on this topic, I think I have everything I need.

Thanks guys for your fast, detailed, and helpful responses.  This is a BIG reason I love this web site!!!

Keep 'em hot!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
GREAT!  I think all of my questions have been answered.  Unless anyone has further pertinent information on this topic, I think I have everything I need.

thought I'd give you some quick advise on related things:

* When you get a stock I would strongly suggest that you get a McMillan stock. I currently own two of their stock (too few by far) - an A4 and a HTG (also known as the M40A1 stock or the General Purpose stock.) The A4 is heavy but great for bipod shooting, the HTG is better for offhand shooting or hunting.

* Whatever stock you get, make sure the barrel is free floated and that the action is bedded to the stock (pillar bedded if you chose a wood stock or a cheap synthetic stock.)
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Skullworks:

HA...actually, that is precisely my plan.  I plan on getting a McMillan HTG stock in one of the camo patterns (probably desert as I think it looks nicer than the woodland camo) and probably a Shilen, Douglas, or Blackstar barrel that has been chambered, crowned, and turned to 22 inches long (.308).

It looks like I may not be able to do this as cheaply as I originally thought...as a used Remington 700 action may be a bit higher to come by than my original thoughts.  However, I am going to keep my eyes out regardless.  If I don't find a beater rifle for cheap (say, $200-225) then I will probably break down and get either the 700 PSS or the 700 LTR for the short-term, and then turn this project into a long-term plan.

Funny thing is, the main reason I want to build my own is that I'd prefer the McMillan stock over the HS Precision that comes on the PSS.  That is almost my sole motivator, although I must say I would prefer a 24" or 22" barrel (the LTR is 20" but I think that's almost too short for my taste).

Thanks for your assistance!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Skullworks:

HA...actually, that is precisely my plan.  I plan on getting a McMillan HTG stock in one of the camo patterns (probably desert as I think it looks nicer than the woodland camo) and probably a Shilen, Douglas, or Blackstar barrel that has been chambered, crowned, and turned to 22 inches long (.308).

It looks like I may not be able to do this as cheaply as I originally thought...as a used Remington 700 action may be a bit higher to come by than my original thoughts.  However, I am going to keep my eyes out regardless.  If I don't find a beater rifle for cheap (say, $200-225) then I will probably break down and get either the 700 PSS or the 700 LTR for the short-term, and then turn this project into a long-term plan.

Funny thing is, the main reason I want to build my own is that I'd prefer the McMillan stock over the HS Precision that comes on the PSS.  That is almost my sole motivator, although I must say I would prefer a 24" or 22" barrel (the LTR is 20" but I think that's almost too short for my taste).

Thanks for your assistance!

What can I say - great minds think alike. I have a heavy 22" barrel on my 700. The next 308 I build will have a shorter barrel with a thinner contour (maybe fluting too). Give me a holler if you need any help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top