Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2003 5:55:42 AM EDT
So what's the difference between say a 55 grain and a 64 grain on a "target"? Is one preferred over another for different situations? I've been using Federal 55 grain for target shooting and looking to purchase another batch. Should I be stocking the heavier grain rounds or is the 55 grain o.k. for general usage to include WTSHTF?

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:10:17 AM EDT
[#1]
www.ammo-oracle.com/

Should answer about all your questions. Great info.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Suggest the answer to this question lies in reading the "Ammo Faq" tacked to the top of the Ammunition Forum.

And your own personal preference.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#3]
A heavier bullet will drop faster (more) at a given range, and will not be as affected by wind.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#5]
BeeKeep,

I was going on the generality that a heavier bullet, in the same cartridge, will travel slower, thus not cover as much distance for the amount of drop that a lighter, faster bullet would.

The heavier bullet won't slow down as fast as a lighter bullet would, tho, and thus it will retain energy at longer ranges better.  

well, that's all just my somewhat educate SWAG.  :)
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Lighter bullets with lower ballistic coeffecient(They don't fly as well) tend to use up most of their energy to cut the air and run out of gas sooner than heavier bullets. Heavier bullets due to their shape and typical slenderness will tend to cut the air better and fly farther before they lose their energy.

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info. The Ammo FAQ does explain things well.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#9]
BK, physics and gravity gentlemen.  Both bullets "fall" at the same rate.  The bullet that maintains higher velocity longer travels further for each drop in elevation.  If fired using the same ballistic parameters they will both "hit the surface" at the same time but the bullet that maintains greater velocity longer will have travelled a greater distance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top