Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2003 4:04:09 AM EDT
I am considering a new rifle for the new year.  I have AR's, HK's, and mini-14.  I want to purchase another rifle in either .308 or .223.  Is there anyone with experience on one or both of the above rifles (VEPR in .223/.308 or Robinson Arms M96 Recon)?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 4:27:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Since the VEPR comes from Robinson, what's the other rifle you are considering?

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:13:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I would guess, the M96.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:29:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I have both a VEPR II in 7.62x39 and an M96 (with all three setups; rifle, recon carbine, top feed).

VEPR II

I have a number of other AKs but the VEPR II is the most solid feeling of them all. Personally I like the weird furniture, and I definitely like the fact that it works for someone who is larger than the average 5'6" soldier that the AK ergonomics were design for.

It has traditional AK reliability in a somewhat different package.

M96

A very neat toy. I say toy, because although it is a very accurate, reliable, and interesting design, the cost is very high and unless you can afford it as a "gadget" it's a stretch.  I really like mine, the recon carbine is a handy, if somewhat heavy package, the top feed is very cool and gets you all the 'gee whiz' looks at the range, plus is capabale of accurate, rapid fire (and entire 30 round magazine in under 5 seconds into a 10" group at 100 yards). The rilfe is useful as well, though all of the configurations are very accurate.

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:49:12 AM EDT
[#4]
DavidC...you are my hero
Do you have any information regarding VEPR K (.223) v. VEPR K (.308)?  Majority of the rifles I own are .223.  I know the VEPR K uses modified AK74 mags.  I also have heard all about .223 v. .308 ballistics.  E-mail me if yo want
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
DavidC...you are my hero
Do you have any information regarding VEPR K (.223) v. VEPR K (.308)?  Majority of the rifles I own are .223.  I know the VEPR K uses modified AK74 mags.  I also have heard all about .223 v. .308 ballistics.  E-mail me if yo want

The only difference between a VEPR II and a VEPR K is the length of the barrel (20" vs 16"). As far as I know there is no VEPR K in .308.

If I was looking for a 308 MBR, I would just buy an FAL (in fact, I have. Numerous times ). With the FAL you at least get 20 round magazines for $5. You can get a VEPR 308 converted to accept M14 mags, but its a costly process, especially if you factor in the cost of the M14 magazines.

The VEPR in 223 does use 5.45x39 magazines with the RobArm follower. Personally I would just get a VEPR K in 5.45 x 39 (and in fact, I plan to, as soon as my dealer can come up with one). For 5.56x45 I have the ARs and the M96. If I was sticking to 223 and only one rifle (between these) I would go with the M96; of course, it's almost 3X the cost of the VEPR K.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I did some accuracy test using a VEPR II in 223.  The result of that study is available here:

http://www.redstararms.com/uploads/BRC/vepreport.pdf

You may find it useful.
oz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top