Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2002 9:22:13 PM EDT
Hello all!

I was just down at the local Wally World and discovered this youth rifle.  Now I have never purchased a gun from Wally World but it did get me to thinking about a youth gun for my son.  

It appears this "Crickett" is made by Keystone.  I don't know if this gun is a POS or what?  Anyone have experience with this gun?  A lot of plastic, but heck the thing only cost $99.  Bolt action single shot.  11" reach 2.5lb trigger.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The Rogue River Chipmunk is a better rifle, but they are more money, closer to $160 or so for the basic model.

More plastic, more bad, IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I got my kids a cricket for x-mas, son 5 $ daughter 10. I thought it was a good idea because they could shoot CB & shorts with it and the noise would not scare them. We went out and shot it yesterday and they both did fine although the peep sight was hard for them to get used to. Problem was I brought a Bushy preban M4gery to sight in w/a new Leupold M4 CQ/T I got for x-mas and after I got done Zeroing it both kids wanted to shoot it. So I put the hearing protection on them and between the two of them they ended up shooting 40rds from a rested position & grouped very well.Now they don't want to shoot the Cricket any more just my AR's.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]
so maybe your kid really needs a ar converted to .22
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Bought my son (9) a Crickett about 8 months ago. He loves it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
for another fifty dollars,i would go with a henry mini bolt.its made better and it has fiber optic sights that really seem to help kids with sight aquisition. just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
for another fifty dollars,i would go with a henry mini bolt.its made better and it has fiber optic sights that really seem to help kids with sight aquisition. just my 2 cents

We bought my son (6mo) a Henry mini bolt for Christmas.  Its stainless and has the fiber optic sights with fiberglass stock.  Out of all the mini bolt rifles we looked at this one seemed to be the most solid.  I think we paid $160 or something like that.  I think it'll be a good rifle for him.  Hopefully he will be able to pass it on to his son.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#7]
For $100 at Wally World your best bet is a Marlin Model 60...my friend has one and it shoots dimes at fifty yards and has never jammed, other than him putting a round in the tube backwards...But, if you don't want a semi, Marlin 25Ns are very nice, I have one. Good standard iron sights and a nice optics platform.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
For $100 at Wally World your best bet is a Marlin Model 60...my friend has one and it shoots dimes at fifty yards and has never jammed, other than him putting a round in the tube backwards...But, if you don't want a semi, Marlin 25Ns are very nice, I have one. Good standard iron sights and a nice optics platform.

For the age of child that we seem to be discussing here, the Marlin stock is too long.

My 9 year old fits the Crickett just right; it's a tiny bit short for my 11 year old daughter. neither one is big enough to shoot one of my ARs or even a Ruger 10/22 offhand.

they do shoot them from a rest, but that's not the best way to learn how to shoot.

The Walther P22 I got them to share as their first handgun works great in terms of grip size.

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Henry .22 is a nice little .22 rifle, I purchased one for my dad for X-Mas.
It's almost small enough to fit into a pocket, works great for him to take on the 4-wheeler and tractor while working fields.

Good all weather plastic stock w/ SS finish.

....my 2cents...
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Can the Henry be scoped?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought one of my 5 year olds a Cricket - red/white/blue laminate stock - she loves it.  Looks basically the same as a Chipmunk.

Perfect for a under 10 year old child, as it has a short stock, which is perfect for kids.

Either a Cricket or Chpimunk will do you well.  I get the wood stock, just because it will last longer.  Carrying case was another $10 bucks.  Kids love it.  I have to buy 2 more for the other 5 year old boys now!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Bought my kids the Cricket also. Wood stock about 150 bucks. No scope on the Henry. MIKE.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought my son a rickett also.  Black/Grey Laminated with SS barrel.  

Keystone Sporting Arms is about an hour away from here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top