Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2002 8:57:44 AM EDT
just wondering.  This January finds me in the city so i won't but when i am in the country i fire a few rounds into the side of the hill.  i have never just launch them straight up.

I am sure the red necks and Mexicans in my neighborhood will drag out their (illegal) full auto's and rip off a few mags.  it's kind of cool when the dump a mag of tracers.    
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am sure the red necks and Mexicans in my neighborhood will drag out their (illegal) full auto's and rip off a few mags.  it's kind of cool when the dump a mag of tracers.    

It's especially cool when all those projectiles come back down.  

And to answer your question, hell no.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I hope no one is hiking or camping that night that failed to report in to you.
I never understood the need to make loud noises to proclaim the New Year.  One may as well howl at the moon, or at least the TV if its too cold out.
Last NYE in a suburb of NYC, someone did just that...fire a round to celebrate. Unfortunately, it came down onto a little girl's head several blocks away.  There are no more NYE's for her.
There are safer ways to make noise.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I hope no one is hiking or camping that night that failed to report in to you.

we call that trespassing on "POSTED" land.

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#4]
In that case, you need night-vision.  No sense wasting good ammo.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#5]
How about with a .50BMG? Tracer?

Too heavy to hold up in air.

MM419

Just joking. It's not a good idea to shoot like that. What goes up, must come down.

Somewhere...>
            >
             >

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Maybe you should tell us where you are, so we can stay AWAY from your neighborhood

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How about with a .50BMG? Tracer?

Too heavy to hold up in air.

MM419

a Ferret 50 is on the wish list!
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I was planning on going to the local ghetto here, and participating in a driveby. but I heard that the Democraps canceled the gangster exchange program has been canceled do to the large number of criminals being killed for no reason.

Happy NEW YEAR
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#9]
NO
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#10]
NO.

The repercussions that come with such a negligible act are FAR TOO serious for
just wanting to peel off a few stray rounds.

Unfortunately wise thinking is not going to
prevent the actions of others irresponsibly
discharging firearms in the immediate vicinity.

STAY SAFE. WEAR YOUR K-POT.
Or if you're like me, pull on the KEVLAR BALACLAVA at 12.

Watch your six..er, watch your 12...at uhm,12.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I would love to. Unfortunately, I'm stationed in the People's Republic of Illannoyed.

OF course...as the saying goes...."It's only illegal if you get caught..."

I doubt anyone would say anything about a few "celebration" 37mm rounds shot into the sky.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#12]
In the little town of Cherryville NC, every year they have a group of prople go out and start firing their muskets at midnight. It's pretty cool to watch.

There's always some old hillbilly-looking folk running around downtown blasting their muskets filling the streets with black smoke.

I don't know how to hotlink.
http://www.cherryville.com/history/shooters/
edited for wrong link

Chris

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I would hope that we as a group wouldn't perform an act such as firing rounds into the air.

It is unsafe and just plain foolish to fire a weapon without knowing where the rounds will impact.

BTW, 308wood said this:

i fire a few rounds into the side of the hill. i have never just launch them straight up.

He didn't say he was going to launch rounds into the air. I would hope no one here would.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I'll probably just do a BETA dump or something.

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Why don't you guys just get some of those "bird bombs" or whatever they are called.  Shoots from a 12ga and detonates at about 150 feet or so.  I used them last 4th of July and they seemed pretty harmless.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Why don't you guys just get some of those "bird bombs" or whatever they are called.  Shoots from a 12ga and detonates at about 150 feet or so.  I used them last 4th of July and they seemed pretty harmless.

Pretty disappointing too....

I had some for the 12 ga. I guess they weren't that bad. But the 37mm bird bombs......now there's some fun!
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#17]
no need to shoot guns here on new year's.  your gun would never be heard.  fireworks are much more popular on NYE than July 4 here.  strings of 5000, and 10000 firecrackers are sold in GROCERY STORES in hawaii during the week before NYE.  between 11pm and 1am all that can be heard is millions of small explosions.  ammunition is MUCH more expensive than fireworks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm in the city so no gun shots for me.
Liquor shots instead.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes...BUT I AM USING BLANKS instead of live rounds. They should still make some noise. But, they won't propel chunks of lead into the air to fall on someone else.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#20]
he
When I lived in the country I used to shoot live rounds when I was ignorant but then I discovered blanks which are just as loud - I used to load up a manual .308 & rip those off into the air - think my neighbors still used live rounds.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Put bottle rockets on the top of the barrel and launch them or tape firecrackers and light 'em off one at a time. By the way, is the term for shooting in the air called "Clapping"?
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty disappointing too....

I had some for the 12 ga. I guess they weren't that bad. But the 37mm bird bombs......now there's some fun!

Depends which bird bombs you get.  the S&B bombs are pathetic but the yellow ones are fun!  Plenty enough to get you in trouble in the city!

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Hell No!
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Are you nuts?
Hell NO !!
It's a FELONY in Arizona to do so.
In Glendale where I live ,the City has installed listing devices that measure direction & db readings. They can pinpoint the random gunfire down to the square meter ! They have caught over 300 gang bangers in the not so nice parts of town with this system. And it all happens in less than 5 seconds from gunshot to patrolman dispatch.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#25]
"Glendale Is Latest City to Use Technology to Pinpoint Random Gunfire Location"
Associated Press (07/01/02)

Glendale, Ariz., joining Los Angeles and Redwood City, Calif., has become the third city in the nation to use the Shot Spotter system to immediately pinpoint the location of gunshots. The technology, which costs about $500,000 per unit, works via a collection of acoustic sensors placed throughout a city. These sensors use telephone lines to pick up gunshot sounds within 25 to 40 feet, registering a telephone number and address on a police monitor. Glendale was chosen because of its high rate of reported gunfire; last year, local police responded to 1,740 gunshot-related calls.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Why its it people in inner cities like the shoot in the air. Why not just shoot into the ground. Wouldnt that be safer.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Couple years back there was a story on the news about a family that had a couple rounds come into their house. Yes it was inner city, yes the family was quite excited to be on the news, and no I don't believe it had anything to do with NYE, regardless of what the reporter said.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I shot a Mossberg 12 gauge 15 times
Into the side of a hill.

-DEERSNIPER
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#29]
2 BLANKS right after midnight...
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:16:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Deersniper is onto something folks. They have these things called shotguns. Millions of them are in private hands, and well, they're basically designed to shoot into the air. #9 shot is pretty harmless when it falls past 100-200 yards.

Be it also known, that discharging firearms into media other than air is extremely hazardous, being functionally equivalent to a bore obstruction.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Shotguns with birdshot aren't bad.

Since July 4th is so dry here always, New Years Eve is my fireworks night. I shot off some real nice artillery last night.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#33]
shot off some fireworks and potatoes
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#34]
I was at work at midnight and we had window open in our lounge, I work in a inner city hospital and sure enough I heard somebody bump firing an AK. It had the distictive chatter.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Yeah son!!!

When I be chill'n wit my homes on the new year tip, ah-ight, I will blast my gat yo, let them fuckahs know I reprezent!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#36]
I used to live in Chicago, not too far from the "projects".  I had a friend that lived in a high rise apartment less than 1/2 a mile from the worst of this area (Cabrini-Green).  When the ball dropped, the projects would open up with what must have been hundreds of rounds fired from roofs, open windows, etc.  It sounded like the rattle battle at camp perry.

This fine tradition was not limited to slum dwellers.  The apartment I lived in was on the 10th or 11th floor of a mid-rise building overlooking a row of three story "brownstone" houses.  These places probally fectched at least $3 mil. each.  During one of the Bull's victory riots, someone appeared on the roof of the brownstone directly below us and unloaded the clip of his handgun in the air as I looked on about 75 feet above him.  Nice.

Of course, handguns are virtually prohibited in Chicago.  Yea, right!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top