Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2002 1:24:44 PM EDT

One of the things I was thinking of getting into was hand loading and reloading ammunition for my rifles, and later when NY deems it ok to grant me a permit, handguns.

Right now, they're pretty limited at 5.56 NATO and 7.62 NATO (the 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 toys live just fine on russian surplus :) )...

Largly, to give me another hobby, something that dosen't involve spending vast amounts of money for crap I don't need. (Hey, at least the stuff I reload, I can shoot..)

My question is, what do I need to get into this? What equipment and manuals? What the heck's a "die"? (I know, I sound really stupid, but...hey, gotta find out from somewhere. I'm largly a computer geek, not a journeyman.)

Is it worth it to reload ammunition? I know that you can get some truly amazing and accurate handloads, where it'd make sense to do so...but would it make sense to do so for just blasting/plinking ammo?

Just basically looking for more information on the subject..

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't get the same joy reloading for autoloaders which tend to hurl the sometimes expensive brass into tommorrow.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

One of the things I was thinking of getting into was hand loading and reloading ammunition for my rifles, and later when NY deems it ok to grant me a permit, handguns.

Right now, they're pretty limited at 5.56 NATO and 7.62 NATO (the 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 toys live just fine on russian surplus :) )...

Largly, to give me another hobby, something that dosen't involve spending vast amounts of money for crap I don't need. (Hey, at least the stuff I reload, I can shoot..)

My question is, what do I need to get into this? What equipment and manuals? What the heck's a "die"? (I know, I sound really stupid, but...hey, gotta find out from somewhere. I'm largly a computer geek, not a journeyman.)

Is it worth it to reload ammunition? I know that you can get some truly amazing and accurate handloads, where it'd make sense to do so...but would it make sense to do so for just blasting/plinking ammo?

Just basically looking for more information on the subject..

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Hm, good point...

All the rifles (so far) that I'd be reloading for would be autoloaders. Specifically, my M1A, my AR's (of course)...couple other things, but all autoloaders.

Eventually in the future, when I can justify it, I'l probably wind up buying a bolt .30-06 or .308 for target and possibly hunting use. Those would also be recieving the handloads, once I get confidence in the rifles and ammunition...
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#3]
If all you are shooting right now is 5.56 and 7.62x39 then do not bother. You possibly can load slightly cheaper 5.56 but no way can you even come close to loading 7.62x39 for the prices it sells for. I shoot a lot of pistol and reload using lead bullets, for about a third the cost of factory ammo but there are many expendtures before you will ever see the savings. Many reloaders will tell you that there is not all that much is savings because you will shoot all the more (which is good).

Go to the reloading forum and you will get much good advise and may even start another which reloader is best war. My advice to you (and this will be disputed), is to buy good equipment if you intend to get into reloading (another obligitory Lee bashing). Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
My advice is to go on Half.com, to the books section and buy a copy of ABCs of Reloading by Dean A. Grennell.  It is listed for $5.50 used and it will tell you everything you need to know about reloading.  That is what I did 30 years ago before I started.  You sure need to know what you are doing before you let some salesman at a sporting goods store sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need.
It is a great hobby and you will love it.  Good luck.  Let me know if you need any help or advice.

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#5]

I just posted this to the reloading forum (didn't even see it ...)

if the mod wants to nuke the thread, 's cool...thanks for all the help guys!
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Reloading .223 is DEFINITELY worth it, IF you're seriously into VERY accurate shooting.

It is not difficult to load up 1000 rounds of .223 which are capable of half inch five shot groups routinely, for about 200 bucks in parts and materials cost.  This is for ammo that costs a buck a round if you go to buy factory made match grade ammo that's not necessarily any better!

I reload my .223 ammo by the thousand.  You bet, it's worth it.  Match grade ammo for the price of Winchester white box?  You bet!

Your quest for reloading equipment should start and end here:

www.bluepress.com

CJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top