Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2002 3:47:47 PM EDT
I picked up a Kimber Eclipse Custom II yesterday and was wondering if I can use +P ammo in it.  The owners manual says nothing about +P, so I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
the short answer is yes with a new more powerfull spring.  the long answer can be found at real guns.
realguns part1
realguns part2
realguns part3
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input gentlemen.  I don't plan on using +P in this gun.  I was just curious since the manual had no mention of it.  That was some very interesting reading 308wood.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Very interesting reading, 308. Do you have any personal 45 Super experience? The round seems like a neat idea for certain applications.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#5]
i converted my kimber to shoot 45 super.
it is a neat round.

i have shot a grand total of 4 white tailed deer two with 230g hydashocks and two with speer 200g "flying ashtrays"  loaded in .45 super.  i can't say one was anymore effective than the other.  all the deer were shot in the chest and went down hard.  they struggled for a moment but had no hope of finding their feet.  it's kind of like the 40sw vs the 10mm.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:54:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i converted my kimber to shoot 45 super.
it is a neat round.

i have shot a grand total of 4 white tailed deer two with 230g hydashocks and two with speer 200g "flying ashtrays"  loaded in .45 super.  i can't say one was anymore effective than the other.  all the deer were shot in the chest and went down hard.  they struggled for a moment but had no hope of finding their feet.  it's kind of like the 40sw vs the 10mm.

Thanks for the reply. Deer hunting was one of the uses I had in mind for the 45 Super. I've got a 5" Series 1 that would be perfect for the task. How many rounds of Super have you fired? Any detrimental effect on your Kimber? I can recall stories of Delta Elite 10mm Colts being reduced to slag. I doubt I would fire enough 45 Super to hurt the gun though, it would be carried in deer/hog country more than anything.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#8]
i forgot to mention the range was about 10-20 yds.  we do a lot of tower stand hunting in Texas and it's no trick to shoot a doe out of a tower.  that's why i use a pistol.  they are shot for heard management and food.

i have fired about 100 rounds with no ill effects.  a buddy turned me on to the S&W 629 revolvers so now that's what i "pop" doe with.  for hunting and the money i don't think you can beat a .44 plus cal wheel gun.  you can ofcource shoot magnums or specials and the specials have no more kick than you .45ACP.  you can find them at gun shows for $300-400 but that's much more than an $8.00 spring.    

if i remember the Colt Deltas  were torn up by being subjected to the "old" 10mm loading which was much hotter than the current stuff.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:47:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
for hunting and the money i don't think you can beat a .44 plus cal wheel gun.  you can ofcource shoot magnums or specials and the specials have no more kick than you .45ACP.  you can find them at gun shows for $300-400 but that's much more than an $8.00 spring.    

Yeah, I've got a 4" M629, good point. I do love the 1911 though! Thanks for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top