Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2002 6:09:27 PM EDT
I was at the gun show in Winston Salem,NC the other weekend and while I was admiring a G36,the "dealer" at that table was saying to someone else that glocks have no safeties...I butted in and advised him different.He said if he were to carry a Glock it would be with no round in the chamber and if he needed it he would rack a round in it...I said that may be to late.He went on to say that more people are "accidentally" shot with a Glock than any other pistol.Stands to reason,the more there are the more there will be.I went on to say if you keep your finger off the trigger there would be no accidents!!
Ignorance is one thing,stupidity is another.
Sorry for the long post just had to get this off my chest.
GLOCK23
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#1]
You should start another post:

"No safeties on a Revolver!"

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is a good discussion of Glock safeties from Glockmeister. Check out the website, he has moving graphics on how Glock safeties work, pretty interesting. "The Glock has no externally located safety devices which need to be activated manually. All of the safety devices function automatically. The devices are sequentially de-activated as the trigger is depressed (as the Glock is fired)."
GLOCK SAFETIES EXPLAINED
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Glocks are one of the safest designed pistols out there and will not fire unless you pull the trigger straight on.  I've tried to slide my finger in the holster (unloaded of course) and things like that to make the Glocks fire, but nothing works unless you pull that center trigger safety pin.  I've even stuck the retention strap in the trigger guard and jammed the pistol into the leather holster and couldn't get it to fire.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate Glock "safeties". The gun only fires if you pull the trigger......and? do you often have other gun fire spontaneously? I like a safety that says this gun will not fire until you take the safety off. More accidents come from people being goofy & accidentally pulling the trigger than by the gun randomly deciding to fire itself. Give me a 1911 any day.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Glocks have four safeties, 3 in the pistol, and the brain of the user. How many more do you need? And I bet that "dealer" talked many more people out of purchasing "his" Glocks too.

Uhh, is this Glocktalk, maybe I am on the wrong site....ROTFL!
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#6]
The best safety is your MIND..and your damm right it might be too late if you have to rack a round. remember when you are attacked it will take time to realize what the threat is and how to respond to it. add in that extra time to rack a round and you might end up taking a dirt nap.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:38:50 PM EDT
[#7]
                                                                                                  Everyone forgets about the two main gun safeties. That every gun has.

#1.  Is the brain of the gun handler.

#2.  Is the fingers of the gun handler.

If #1 & #2 are working correctly. Then it dosen't matter where or how many a gun has on it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#8]
You’re right, of course.

Still, if you stopped at every gun show table where bad advice was being given, you’d never finish the show.

Personally, I just keep on walking!
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#9]
IMO Glock has cleverly redefined the traditional use of the term safety. There is nothing on a Glock that will prevent the pistol from firing if something goes inside the trigger guard (weather by accident or design) pushes the “finger lever safety” and then pushes the trigger.

It really is like a revolver that has no positive safety. But unlike a revolver it has a relative light trigger pull and short trigger travel. The Glock does not have a positive safety does this make it unsafe not necessarily but...

IMO someone unfamiliar with semi-auto pistols/firearms is far more likely to have an accidental discharge with a Glock than with most other pistols. I personally have see more accidental discharges with Glock than other pistol, what that means for sure is anyone’s guess.

Glocks people do not like to here this but Glocks do have a reputation for having more accidental discharges, weather this is because there are just more Glock out there or if this reputation is deserved I do not know. Thought I have never seen it happen Glocks also have a reputation of going off when dropped, if this reputation is deserved I do not know as well.

I got rid of my Glock 17 and 23 because I just do not trust the Glock passive safeties, short trigger travel, and light trigger pull. Maybe I am just incompetent and not a skilled as most Glock users, but I am also not alone in my feelings.

I carried a SIG for years and never worried about putting it in my pocket or re-holstering the pistol. I always was uncomfortable with the Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the fact that there is no false sense of security with a separate safety.  It keeps you on your toes.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:18:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I've owned glocks since 1995, great pistols.

But they don't have a "safety".  I don't plan on letting corporate sales techniques change what I call something.  

My Ruger single-six has a transfer bar, and it does not have a safety either.

I treat glocks like I treat revolvers.  Always ready.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:11:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I dont feel comfortable carrying a Glock as I have shot myself in the hand accidentally before but I do feel comfortable carrying an XD9 with the trigger AND grip safeties.  I actually prefer a DA/SA even more because I tend to be forgetful and dont trust myself with a light pull on the first trigger pull unless I have cocked the hammer manually and am ready to shoot.  Glocks are not for beginers or careless people like me because of that design.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:49:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Beretta's are the coolest. You can make them fire just pulling them out of a tight holster with the safety off. The trigger bar is on the outside of the frame.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#14]

It seems that some of you need to read the gun safety rules.

#1.  Always treat every gun as if it was loaded.

If every gun handler practiced this rule. There wouldn't be any AD's. No matter what type of gun they have.

My Glock has five safeties:

1. My mind.
  2. My fingers.
  3. One external on the trigger.
  4 & 5. Internal gun safeties.

I'm not trying to start anything. Just pointing out. That gun safety starts with a persons mind. Not the gun. It's anti-gunners that blame gun manufactures or gun types. Not the gun handler.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:20:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Glocks are a very good pistol for beginners...and no pistol is good for someone who is "careless".
If you don't want the gun to go off..KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER!
GLOCK23
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:58:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Thought I have never seen it happen Glocks also have a reputation of going off when dropped, if this reputation is deserved I do not know as well.

That's funny, I've never heard of this. In fact, I find it quite amazing that they have this "reputation" since it is virtually impossible for a Glock to fire a round when dropped, due to the gun not being "cocked" until the trigger is pulled. It's probably 1000 times more likely for your AR to fire when chambering a round, with the floating firing pin, than a Glock to fire when dropped.

In fact, Glock has performed tests by going so far as to dropping loaded weapons with a round in the chamber out of helicopters onto concrete parking lots without getting them to fire.

Surely with this "reputation" there must be several stories on the net by people who dropped thier Glocks only to have them fire when they hit the ground. Do you have some links?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:34:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Ya know...maybe I should get ridda my Glocks, too...every now and then I have dreams about the damn things just going off on their own and shootin' up my house while I'm at work!
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:34:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Isn't there an unwritten rule of safety that tells us to never totally rely on a weapon's safety?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Max-Mike
DEVL

You two guys both make a lot of sense to me. Personally, I think Glocks are not for new shooters. They do require proper "headspace and timing." Often, to often, the first two safeties (brain and trigger finger) are disengaged. I highly recommend Glocks to my friends after they have some experience with other autos. The only AD I have ever had was with a 1911, caused by my failure to engage brain before lowering the hammer. You don't get many opportunities to have AD's and not hurt someone. I'd offer to buy anyones Glock, in .40 cal, that wants to sell it, but, except for the G35, the four I own, seem to be enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top