Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2002 5:38:06 PM EDT
A friend of mine's Glock's firing pin doesn't protrude out when you pull the trigger..we realized it was because it had gotten really "gumbed up" in their!

My question is has anyone else experienced this and whats the best way to clean it?

I was thinking of just spraying Break free gun cleaner in the little hole thats on the bottom of the slide would this be ok to spray liquid in there??
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#1]
He needs to completely disassemble the slide and clean it out with Gunscrubber or automotive Brake Cleaner.  It's not hard to disassemble it and you can find instructions on how to do this on www.glockmeister.com

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
He needs to completely disassemble the slide and clean it out with Gunscrubber or automotive Brake Cleaner.  It's not hard to disassemble it and you can find instructions on how to do this on www.glockmeister.com

hr

Ok cool thanks for the info! do you mean though just disassemble it like you normally would when cleaning or disassemble it into all the little pieces??
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
More Glock failures.
Like listing to Grandpa's hemroid stories.
When will you guys get it ?
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Darkstar,

Your buddy should really read the directions when he buys something he obviously has no idea how to care for.  The Glock are supposed to be cleaned with the breech face point down to avoid the firing channel from gumming up.   An easy fix and one that should not be necessary, its a shame so many people can't follow simple directions. Further disassembly is required to clean this out then a simple field strip.

www.rifleshooter.com
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ok cool thanks for the info! do you mean though just disassemble it like you normally would when cleaning or disassemble it into all the little pieces??

Fieldstrip it and then completely strip the slide into all its pieces:  the stiker assy, slide, slide cover, extractor etc.  This pistol doesn't need much oil to run.  Only a few drops, more than that and it will 'clog' up quite a bit.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
More Glock failures.
Like listing to Grandpa's hemroid stories.
When will you guys get it ?

It is spelled 'Listening'  and  'Hemorrhoid'

Failures?  I've owned three Glocks.  My first one was a used smooth (non-checkered) grip Glock 17.  I fired over 30,000 rounds through mostly M882 Ball.  Sold it in 1990 because I needed the money.  
Only failure I ever had was broken plastic rear sight well past 20,000 rounds (fixed free by a local police armorer that I know), 2nd was a Glock 26 fired over 5,000 rounds through it.  Traded it for 2nd generation 19 because the 19 fits my hand better.  No failures.  I shot over 8,000 rounds through the 19.  No failures.  Sold it to buy my Beretta, nothing wrong with the Glock 19 I just wanted something different to shoot and carry.

I now shoot a Beretta 92G Elite, (my wifes)Glock 26 and a Kahr MK9 none of which has ever had a failure.  What is it that I should 'get'?

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#7]
DVDTracker has an excellent video on completely stripping a Glock.  Pictures and stuff are great, but if you IM him he can give you a link to the video he made, or maybe somebody else has it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#8]
After he cleans it, tell him not to use so much lube
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#9]
We just sprayed some break free through the little hole and firing pin area and now its even worse...you can't see all the "gumbed up crud" but the firing pin is rough when you try to slide it back and forth! AUGH THIS SUCKS!
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#10]

There are only three spots to lube a Glock.

1. Only two drops of lube on each slide rail.

2. Lightly patch lube outside of barrel where it rubs.

3. And a few drops where the back of the trigger bar meets the connector.

That's it.

Also Don't use cleaning solvents on slide.  Dry rag, dry patches, and dry q-tips are all that are needed to clean the entire gun.

And learn how to break the Glock completely down.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
We just sprayed some break free through the little hole and firing pin area and now its even worse...you can't see all the "gumbed up crud" but the firing pin is rough when you try to slide it back and forth! AUGH THIS SUCKS!

This is called a 'garbage hole' by Glock. It is for the crud that may end up in the DRY firing pin channel to fall out.  By spray more liquid in there you are complicating matters.

All of the information on this thread can be found in the owners manual that came with the gun.

This is why you should know what you are doing before you complain about things working out.

If my dog died becuase I didn'd feed it, I would not blame the dog.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:48:17 AM EDT
[#12]
It's supposed to be completely dry in there.  Take a punch and press below the base of the striker.  Slide off the cover that covers the back of the slide.  Pull out everything and completely clean everything with brake cleaner.  Insert it DRY into the DRY inside of the slide.  Reinstall the cover and you're done.  NEVER oil the firing pin channel!
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 3:01:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It's supposed to be completely dry in there.  Take a punch and press below the base of the striker.  Slide off the cover that covers the back of the slide.  Pull out everything and completely clean everything with brake cleaner.  Insert it DRY into the DRY inside of the slide.  Reinstall the cover and you're done.  NEVER oil the firing pin channel!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER OIL THE STRIKER!

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:07:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Darkstar: if all you've done is blast it with CLP, then it seems you are afraid to take it apart.

Do not be afraid. Go to glockmeister.com/slidedis.shtml. Follow the directions there for complete slide disassembly. It's pathetically simple. Use a small screwdriver instead of the disassembly tool. Don't let the springs go flying when you remove the cover.

Clean everything out real good. Blast the slide, all passages and parts with any good DEGREASER (I like plain trichlorethylene based brake cleaner, but if you have a religious aversion to that, MPRO-7 works damn good, too). Use lot's of Q-tips. Make sure it is all clean and dry. Compressed air helps as well, if you have it. Put it all back together DRY. If your degreaser has left a chalky finish on the surface of the slide, you can wipe it VERY LIGHTLY with your favorite lube to restore it to a more aesthetically pleasing shade.

You've got to love Glocks. They are pathetically simple to gunsmith, as long as you aren't messing with mod's.

Darkstar, everything else you need to know about maintaining Glocks is located at glockmeister.com/glockinf.shtml.

Socomcen: the usual Glock testimonial, but any weapon you are going to stake your life on ought to be detail stripped, detail cleaned and fully inspected once a year. This goes for carry weapons even if they aren't shot very much. The most amazing lint balls and other dirt come out of carry weapons. It's even more important if you are training with it as much as you should.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:21:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Socomcen: the usual Glock testimonial, but any weapon you are going to stake your life on ought to be detail stripped, detail cleaned and fully inspected once a year. This goes for carry weapons even if they aren't shot very much. The most amazing lint balls and other dirt come out of carry weapons. It's even more important if you are training with it as much as you should.

Totally agree, I detail stripped my Glocks about every three months (I'm anal that way).  And do my Beretta about twice a year (the G model slide is a little tricky, a FS is way easier).  I use BreakFree CLP to clean when not detail stripping it, wipe it really dry and lube with Militec-1.  When detail stripping it I use automotive Brake Cleaner to clean.  That armorer I know taught me a long time ago how to take a Glock all the way down.  I replace all the springs in my pistols every 5,000 rounds too and have replaced my wifes G-26 trigger/trigger bar with one from a G-17 (no ridges on the face of the trigger).  I've been carrying for 10 years, my carry weapons get cleaned once a month or after every firing.   Usually I fire them more than that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top