Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2002 9:15:29 AM EDT
I am Leaving for Germany with the army next summer. the weapons regulations suck there so I need to store 2-3 lowers. Selling is my last resort.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a company specializing in firearms storage?

I am not wealthy so the cheaper the better, but I want them safe and secure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a safety deposit box at your bank.

I have one that is 3" by 10" by deep. It will hold my M16 lower with collapsible stock, plus my M11/9 receiver, 9mm subgun and .22 RF suppressors, plus still have room for passports, birth certificates and all that legal stuff. Costs me $55 per year.

It's probably obvious, but DO NOT walk into your bank with an assembled gun.

If you take this route, seal each of your lowers in a plastic bag with dessicant. That way, if there's a fire or any other intrusion, everything in your box stays dry. BTW, you wouldn't believe what people store in safety deposit boxes ... and sometimes they do leak. With my luck, all the leaky ones are directly above mine.

HTH.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I assume you don't have a family member who can take care of this for you?

Check with an FFL in your area, they may hold them for you for a small fee.

Send them to me and I'll hold them for you, still have room in my safe, but I'm trying to change that....
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me introduce you to Hiram's firearms storage service... For a small fee, case of ammo per year for each firearm, Hiram stores them, routinely tests them for funstionality and cleans them religiously.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I assume you don't have a family member who can take care of this for you?

Check with an FFL in your area, they may hold them for you for a small fee.

Send them to me and I'll hold them for you, still have room in my safe, but I'm trying to change that....

I dont have any family members to leave the rifles with. I am thinkin a safe deposit box is the answer.

Does anyone know if there are any legal issues here? it seems risky bringing something that is technically considered a firearm into a bank.

I am only going to be there 3 years, so it would definitely give me something to look forward to when i come stateside, and $60 a year is definitely reasonable.

as far as keeping it with one of you guys.... maybe I should throw the wife in the deal, hell take the keys to my car and my kid too.. freakin wise guys :)  

seriously, thanks for the help. I have a few more ideas than I started with.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure about the bank thing... there might be an issue there and that might depend on some state laws as well. Any good FFL should hold them for you, might charge a small fee for it and I think you'd have to fill out a 4473 to get them back... not positive about that, anyone know for sure?
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, now that I think about it, you should be able to store them for free in the arms room of your current unit. They will keep them there until you return and sign them out. Ask your unit's armorer or commander and they should fill you in.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldnt feel right about leaving them in an arms room thousands of miles away.

I have heard stories of ppl swapping parts and all that fun stuff. I want them secure. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm in RI, I'll store'em for you;).

Seriously, contact Jim McCloud at www.gunsnh.com
I'm sure he'll do it for you, he was storing AW's for Kalifornians a while ago. He's a great guy, honest as the day is long. He's about an hour and a half from RI.

Tim
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:41:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you know any LEO's who work in the evidence room????They could store them for you under "safekeeping."......
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been to Germany and don't understand your queasiness about taking them with you. If you're a GI, they can go in the arms room at your new unit, or, in quarters if you are authorized. Only thing is you may have to do ATF paperwork to bring them back. Other than that, you're fine. I brought 13 guns back with me the last I was in Germany. They have some nice guns over there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've been to Germany and don't understand your queasiness about taking them with you. If you're a GI, they can go in the arms room at your new unit, or, in quarters if you are authorized. Only thing is you may have to do ATF paperwork to bring them back. Other than that, you're fine. I brought 13 guns back with me the last I was in Germany. They have some nice guns over there.

it must have been a few years ago, because now they introduced alot of new weapon restrictions regardin POF's

here is my other thread regarding the laws
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=6&t=160960&page=1
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#12]
The best idea I've heard so far is the deposit box. Is it illegal to take a gun into a bank in RI or something?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I am seriously considering the safe deposit box. I will have to look into the legality of it, but its not like i am planning on going in there with the rifle assembled carrying it around like al capone.

I would of course just bring the lower and have it in sealed in a bag with silica gel and also in a small box, therefore eliminating the chance of creating a stir.

I will definitely make sure i am not going to go to prison for storing it there though, because NO rifle in the world is worth that.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#14]
You definitely should check your local laws, through the bank. I would be careful how you phrased your inquiries, though. They should be able to tell you what is NOT allowed by law and/or bank policy in safe deposit boxes, and you can go from there. But if you ask them specificaly about firearms, even just parts, you'll prolly get horrified looks.

I always have my items in a regular briefcase, which I do not open until I'm inside the little private cubicle. (I NEVER have all the pieces of a firearm, just the receivers.) Most banks go out of their way to give their box users privacy.

Using safe deposit boxes to store MGs is very common in the NFA community, because of the high value. I can't speak to RI, but lots of folks in FL use them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#15]

If you need a place, either Jim or myself could help you.

I would suggest a bank is fine.  Make sure you get some new silica jel packets and put in with gun.  Put them in multiple layers of sealed plastic, just in case things get wet for some reason.

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

as far as keeping it with one of you guys.... maybe I should throw the wife in the deal, hell take the keys to my car and my kid too.. freakin wise guys :)  

I don't know....What's you car look like?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top