Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2002 9:59:55 PM EDT
I've been carrying my P7M8 for the last two years now, and for the last 6 months have been taking a lot of $h!t from my partner about why I'm not carrying a .45   I like the compactness of the P7, plus it is SSSOOOO accurate.  For the same size, but in .45, do you guys think the Sig 245 is a good trade-off?
Please don't suggest other guns because these two are my only options considering what I have to choose considering department choices, budget, and calibre approvals.
Any input would be appreciated...
ptp
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you carry on duty?  The P7 is such a unique design, with a manual of arms very different from any other pistol.  A lot of people think that if you carry a P7, it should be your ONLY carry gun.

As for the choice between the two, the P7M8 and the SIG P245, I'd prefer the HK.  I dont care for guns that leave fingers dangling, and the P245 does with me.  That said, I LOVE my P220.  But if you are used to the P7M8, and like the way it shoots, why switch?  Hits not caliber are what matters.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 10:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]

I love my P7M8. I carry it whenever I am not in uniform. I have plenty of .45's, 40's etc but I always am carrying my P7.

Stay with what you know and are comfortable with. Let your partner sort out his own issues.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Your P7M8 will shoot rings around the Sig P-245. A hit with a 9mm beats a miss by a .45acp any day of the week.

Tell your partner he has size "issues".  >gg<
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:11:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Any other responses out there?  Very curious about opinions from other off-duty or ccw carriers.  P7M8 in 9mm or Sig 245 in .45  No other choices per approval unless I want a 5-shot 2" Smith revolver.....  uh no thank you

ptp
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#5]
If you like the P7 and shoot well with it, the disapproval of your partner is a poor reason to change.  Sounds like your partner is stuck in the mindset that thinks .45 is a death ray and the 9mm is good for nothing but plinking.  Stoke that P7 with Winchester 127-grain +P+ or a 124-grain +P Gold Dot, and it will equal or outperform just about any .45 load out of the 245's short barrel, with less recoil and probably more accuracy.  I've tried just about everything out there for off-duty carry, and what I found works best for me is a Sig P228 with Winchester 127-grain Ranger T ammo.  It's accurate, totally reliable, and very easy to shoot one-handed (think about potential off-duty scenarios, like having to pick up one of your kids while engaging a threat).  Personally I love the P7, and would probably buy one if the manual of arms wasn't so different from everything else I use.  Nice and flat, reliable and accurate as heck.  I'd stick with it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#6]
i have small hands, and the p245 really accomodates it.

in fact, its the most accurate handgun ive shot (but i havent shot THAT many so i cant say much)
that said, yes it does leave a finger dangling. I believe the p7 is more slim, and hell as others said, if u can pound rounds into a target with it, then dont change. Stick with whats comfortable.
Bullets a bullet
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Your P7M8 will shoot rings around the Sig P-245.

I think that I'd have to see that to believe it.

I prefer a .45acp myself, however I'm not you. Carry what you are comfortable with. And PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I think that I'd have to see that to believe it

I owned a a Sig P-220 & shot several hundred rds out of it before I sold it. I still have my P7M8 & will never sell it because it's so accurate.

I'm not saying the P7M8 is a better carry piece than the Sig P-245 but it's a damn sight more accurate.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:08:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Both are great guns. I am more of a .45 person myself, but if you like and are comfortable with the HK, then I see no reason to switch. Its a great gun and as long as it hits where and when you want it, nothing else matters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top