Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2002 6:13:07 PM EDT
The guy from the local gun shop called today and told me that he remembered that I was interested in getting a Garand.  It seems that a customer needed money due to a personal situation and left one on consignment.

It's mine now.

Frankly, I don't know much about Garands yet, so if any of you guys know anything, please share.

Overall, it looks to be in fine shape.  The rifling lands are a little worn, but there's no rust or pitting in the bore.  The metal and wood also look very nice.  The whole gun could be mostly original.

By the serial number, it appears to be made sometime after WW2.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The serial # has been tampered with in those numbers you would have a very expensve weapon.I was at a web sight escapes me for now but you put in the number and it tells you when it was made.Overall it looks very clean shoot it and tell us how it does.Also I had bought one with low numbers but the weapon was overhauled for $600 shoots moa at 600.Semper FI
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice stock.  Parkerizing looks good.  Do not put commercial (hunting) 30.06 through it because the pressure spike is all wrong.  Do you handload?  If you don't, get ready to buy some surplus ammo.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The serial # has been tampered with in those numbers you would have a very expensve weapon.I was at a web sight escapes me for now but you put in the number and it tells you when it was made.Overall it looks very clean shoot it and tell us how it does.Also I had bought one with low numbers but the weapon was overhauled for $600 shoots moa at 600.Semper FI

I think he intentionally smudged the last half of the serial#.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Beautiful weapon!!  Here is the site where you can date your US military rifles. www.oldguns.net/   Just scroll down the left frame and you will find it.  Share the information when you get it!! Congrats, they are wonderful weapons.

Mark
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The serial # has been tampered with in those numbers you would have a very expensve weapon.

What did he use? A dremel tool or something? Maybe just a file. Won't that take off value? Having half of the serial number filed off. Golly. Why would someone do that to a fine piece of American history?
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The serial # has been tampered with in those numbers you would have a very expensve weapon.

What did he use? A dremel tool or something? Maybe just a file. Won't that take off value? Having half of the serial number filed off. Golly. Why would someone do that to a fine piece of American history?

No dremel, just photoshop or ms paint.  The smudging is just on the picture.  Wouldn't want photographic evidence opf firearms you own with serial numbers attached now a days.

Keving67
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#7]
No worries on the serial number, gents.  It's just Photoshop's "smudge tool".
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Uh oh.  It looks like you've got a green cast to the parkerizing.  That could be very bad.  
Better sell me the rifle before you have a problem with it.  I'll give you $50.

Nice looking Garand, SWS.  I'd be surprised if everything is original though.  That's pretty rare anymore.  Pull back the op rod until the bolt locks back and you should be able to read the barrel info through the slot in the handguard/stock.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Uh oh.  It looks like you've got a green cast to the parkerizing.  That could be very bad.  

Yeah, what's up with the green parkerizing?  Is that the way it's supposed to be?

Pull back the op rod until the bolt locks back and you should be able to read the barrel info through the slot in the handguard/stock

On the barrel it looks like:
SA-F6585448   54 A210A
and then some inspector's marks stamped all around the area.  Anybody know what this means?
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Most Garands have a greenish hue to them.  Some folks on the jouster board say it's due to the cosmoline they're stored in.  I don't really know what causes it, but I think it looks kinda cool.  Mine has the same look.

The info on your barrel says (I think) that it's a Springfield barrel made in 1954.  I could be WAY off base, though.  One of the real experts will be along to tell me I'm wrong soon enough.

Are there any cartouches left on the stock?  From the pictures, it looks like it has been refinished.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I know exactly nothing about Garands, but you have a fine looking weapon there. Let us know how it shoots. I've been tossing the idea around about getting a Garand, but something always catches my eye before I get to the Garands.

Jamie
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 3:37:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
No worries on the serial number, gents.  It's just Photoshop's "smudge tool".

That's what I meant. guess I should have been a little clearer.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 4:40:25 AM EDT
[#13]
SWS,  I think you probably scored a nice one!

By the serial number, it's a post WWII rifle.  Check out w3.one.net/~melchar/30-06/surp1.html for LOTS of information, and illustrated field and detail stripping.

From there, you might be able to check the stampings on your various parts.  The trigger assembly and it's parts, the bolt, the operating rod, rear sights, gas cylinder, front sight, stock and buttplate could be a serious mix of parts, as almost all M1s were rebuilt at one point or another.  

The date on the barrel is correct, 1954.  Given the stampings on all the other parts, with the correct resources (I think one of Scott Duff's books has a ton of information about dates of manufacture), you could tell what, if any, parts are 'correct'.  (Garand collectors use this term, as in the part is 'correct' for a rifle with that s/n. )

AMMO:  Like it was mentioned, DO NOT SHOOT COMMERCIAL AMMO, unless it is specifically designated as an M2 substitute!  If you handload, stick around 150gr pills, with 168gr being the heaviest you'd go.  IMR4895 is the equivalent of the powder used in the original M2 Ball ammo, with IMR4064 as a close match, also.  Stick with those.  Starting loads should be around 44-45 grains, not to exceed 49, but work up slowly if you do.  One of my rifles loves a 155gr HPBT over 45.0gr of 4895.

I think you'll enjoy it.  The M1 is a peice of history, even if it's a post WWII rifle.  It's what a semi auto rifle was meant to be!  
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Are there any cartouches left on the stock?  

There's a "P" inside of a square prominently stamped on the underside of the pistol grip.  That's the only thing I see.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:59:49 AM EDT
[#15]
That "P" means "Passed".  Put there when it was factory refinished.
A very nice piece.  Congrats.

Link Posted: 12/27/2002 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Good lookng M1. Watch out for your thumb - you'll only have to learn about this the hard way once.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Beautiful!
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Good lookng M1. Watch out for your thumb - you'll only have to learn about this the hard way once.

Hehe...
Hurts, doesn't it?  
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Parkerizing turns green after years of being soaked in oil - I don't think it matters if it is Cosmoline.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:49:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Go over to www.jouster.com, it's THE site for Grarand info...judging by 5-mil serial # your bbl could very well be orginial to the receiver, the jouster site has some links for checking mfg's serial # to date of mfg,Parkerizing seems to come in a few colors,Grey, Black, green, charcoalgrey, If, on the bbl there is a "P" with a punch mark on it or close to it,(should be close to the drawing number you found on the bbl) that's a good indcation your bbl is orginial, as they did'nt punch replacement bbls Go to the jouster site and ask around they'll be more than happy to help you out with any questions you have,They've also got a few M-1 'smiths who hang out over there should you have a problem,Once you start shooting it you'll love it! as additcing as AR's
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#21]
OK, tell us about the thumb?
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice Garand. I have an all original with a 5,9xx,xxx serial no. with a bbl.date of Feb. 56 the last year of garand  production. The green parkerizing is normal but looks awfully good to be almost fifty years old. It may have been arsenal refinished but the if barrel date and rec. serial number match, that is most important. I gave $600 for mine three years ago and have been offered $1000 for it several times by people who should know what it's worth. I love to shoot it. It is a real shooter! Check otu your date of man. at www.scottduff.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top