Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2002 4:51:01 PM EDT
The thread about Para handguns made me get mine out to clean etc.  This thing has a one piece guide rod and I have tried every way I can think of to re-assemble this thing.  My Kimber has a small hole to stick a paper clip or something into while putting back together however, this Para does not.  I am pulling my hair out.  Help please!
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#1]
After much swearing, pulling of hair, threatening to throw the sum-bitch in the bay and many strange looks from my wife I finally got the frame and slide including the guide rod put back together. (oh yeah, I also broke all of my fingernails)  Don't ask me how I got it back together because I tried every way imaginable.  1911's are great guns but there's something to be said about a European style handgun where the entire slide assembly including spring and guide rod where applicable all fit back together in one neat package.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Harrts one-piece guide rod in my 1911. What I do is assemble the slide **before** I put it on the frame. Rod, spring, bushing, the whole slide is ready to go before it slides on the frame.

It makes it easier for me, your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 5:39:32 AM EDT
[#3]
1 pice rods with twist bushing barrels should be against the law. I only use the 2 piece Wilson on my 5", and the race gun w/ reverse plug has a 1 piece w/ drilled hole to capture the spring/plug assembly....this is a "cone" barrel.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if this pistol came with this from the factory?  Will a regular 1911 spring fit and function in a Para or should I take a look at a 2 piece as SBR_711 mentioned?
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Its like getting thrown from a horse,you need to do it again till you get it right!     It will be much easier next time,and so on till you get where you can do it quit easy and fast!

You gotta be smarter than the gun!

Bob
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I also have a Para P14-45 and the guide rod is a b###h to replace.  I have used a two piece guide rod before and will replace this one also.  It sure makes it a lot easier.  Ed Brown, Wilson and there are others that I cannot think of at the moment that make these.  If you have drill press then you could drill a small hole in the guide rod and use a bent paper clip to hold the spring in the compressed position.  Hope this helps you.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never had this problem with my para P13-45
I too put stuff back together before fitting the
slide back on the frame. Are you reassembling in the same manner as this guy's page ?
http://www.attrition.org/technical/firearms/45reassemble/index.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top