Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2002 9:08:35 AM EDT
Buying a new barrell for my carbine, and I'm stuck on the selection. I know I want to lighten the front end of my carbine and I've narrowed it down to these two barrels. I know they'll do the job nicely, Just cant make up my mind. This is a range use/shtf carbine. Which one should I choose? RRA M4, or super lightweight from Bushy? Also, my last barrell had a AK brake on it. Very effective, but I want to lose the blastwave as well. What other brake, Or FS(perm attached of course) would you guys reccommend?
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I have and have had both set ups. What I mean is this, I had a Colt 16 inch light weight 1/7 on one of my carbines and still have my other carbine set up with a Colt M4 upper. The Colt 16 inch upper did not match my PWA lower in color and the Colt upper was a large hole so I decided to get rid of it and sold it to a buddy of mine. I shopped around and found a 14.5 inch 1/7 original Colt CAR-15 barrel and put it on a Bushmaster A1 upper.

So I ended up with both a 14.5 inch M4 and a 14.5 inch light weight rifle. I put Vortex flash hiders on both and had them pinned in place. When you put the two side by side and run a few drills with them you discover just how light the light weight is. Every one of my shooting buddies love that rifle over my M4. It can't be more than 6 lbs, maybe less. It balances better and with the overall length of the barrel/flash hider right at 16 inches you can move through cramped quarters easier. My buddy who bought my 16 inch upper is the one who noticed the difference the most. Maybe it is in his head but I don't think so.

If I was to change anything about about how I set these rifles up it would be the flash hider. I did not like the old style Phantom but I do like the new style and would have put that one on my rifles over the Vortex. Or I would put on the BiLock from Gemtech so I could easily attach a suppressor. Both, if permanently attached will give you 16 inches overall.

I personally do not like the look of the 16 inch light weight or the 16 inch M4. They just do not look clean or natural to me. I have not noticed any difference in the accuracy of the 14.5 inch vs. the 16 barreled rifles when being shot side by side.

As far as a post ban set up I would go with anything by KKF www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/29585.htm. His stuff is sweet. And if you have a 14.5 inch barrel he makes flash hiders and muzzle brakes that will give you the appropriate overall length. My buddy who bought my 16 inch barrel ended up putting a Wilson MB on it and it looks nice and works just fine. I like the AK brake on the M4 barrel but not over what KKF has to offer.

If I were in your shoes I would go with the light weight barrel. I would send it to KKF and have him cut it to 14.5 and then install what ever FH/MB you want. You will not be sorry.

Just remember what they say about opinions and ass holes.

Here are some pics of my rifles for you to see what I am talking about.
community.webshots.com/photo/29311300/41323564lqkoTi
community.webshots.com/photo/29311300/41323505zviuKT
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you have a post ban so you cant have a flash hider.  Id get the superlight and have Kurt cut it to 15" and add the A2 tac brake to make it 16" so you get more performance than the previously mentioned 14.5" barrels.  You wont have much blast either.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#3]
NO IT MUST BE 14.5 INCHES!! YOU ARE NOT LISTENING TO ME. IT MUST BE 14.5 INCHES THIS IS THE WAY.

Just kidding. Devl makes a good point. 15 inch with the A2 tac brake would work and look very good. I doubt that 1/2 of an inch of barrel on a rifle is going to make much of a difference in performance.

It will look something like this. Note - this is a 14.5 inch barrel.

Or how about a flat top?
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#4]
First, thanks for the pics guys. It really helps me get a better idea of what direction I'm gonna go.

I'll be purchasing a Bushy super lightweight barrell from Gunsmoke(post ban configured)to attach to my flattop upper. As far as brakes go, I'd love one of Kurts A series brakes. I'll have to look into his turnaround time and price. Gunsmoke has one that I may try out tho. Again, thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I personally do not like the look of the 16 inch light weight or the 16 inch M4. They just do not look clean or natural to me.

Link Posted: 12/16/2002 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#6]
What?
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with Luckystiff.  When I was a child and knew nothing of guns besides what looked cool I thought the 16" barrels with flash hiders looked to long and disproportionate.  I loved the 14.5" barrels.  I also thought the M4 contour looked stupid.  Of course now I know the error of my was and own a 1/7 twist 14.5" Bushmaster M4 barrel.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's a couple of mine that meet your requirements:

Lightweight Carbine (16.1" barrel length with Wilson Brake)

Bushmaster M4A3 (17" barrel length with Mini-Y)

Need to take a new pic of the M4A3; I swapped the DPMS BUIS for and ARMS #40.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top