Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2002 6:41:54 PM EDT
Need some info on what to look for and fair prices for one?
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Basically there are 2 types of GEW 98's floating around, Crappy ones brought in from Turkey that are well worn and mismatched #'s that are worth about $ 100 and vet bring backs or imported rifles in VG -Exc condition.
 A really good GEW 98 with matching #'s and original finish $ 300 and up.
 Things to look for are matching #'s on recvr, barrel, bolt, stock and small parts " with last 2 digits " , Receiver and bolt should be in the white ( bare metal), barrel's are blued and the bands are usually browned, Stock should have Insp stamps next to stock disc.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#3]
First off, you've got to be more specific- a straight "In the trenches" 98 with the rollercoaster rear sight? Or just a 98 model Long Rifle?

Got a 98/22 made by BRNO in Czechoslovakia for Turkey that was never sent  (trust me, Turk service rifles are very easy to pick out, like Mexican or Colombian, never shot, wear only on the butt and rusted all over...) from Big-5 for $100. With the crappy $5/70 of Turk surplus (1935 headstamp) the rifle will chew the bull and 9 ring out of a target at 100 all day long, with handloads I'll put good money on her grabbing nothing but black each with each shot off the rest. Got an old Weaver K4 I'm going to mount "old school style" (rings directly to the action) along with a bent bolt body to mimic a Gew98 Sniper. All in all, the rifle wont cost me more than $150 and its probably the best overall gun money I've ever spent....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top