Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2002 7:42:57 PM EDT
I have 1K to spend on a 1911.  Can't make up my mind.  I have a good trustworthy friend that has an early 60's production Colt Government model that has been worked over pretty good by a custom craftsman.  He bought it new in 1964.  It shoot absolutely great.  Very tight and has a great feel to it.  However, it a little worn after 40 years although it has less than 500 rounds through it.

My other choice is to spend the 1K on a new Kimber or Loaded Springfield Armory.  I like the idea of having a new one but also there is an appeal to having a vintage customized Colt.

Any ideas or advice?
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always liked Colts. But then I own a series 70 Gold cup and a late 60' LW Comander

Colt is making the Series 70 style 1911's again if you'd like your 1911 to say "Colt".

There are currently more manufactures of 1911's than you can shake a stick at.... Check out www.1911forum.com I think you'll find it informative. Good luck in you choice. After all the 1911 is the perfect handgun
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my original "United States Property" USPS issue 1911. I think you would be happy with any high quality reprodution. Im sure you know as well as I do about the endless mods that can be had for the workhorse classic.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#3]
For a thousand dollars I would take a Springfield Armory "TRP" model over buying a standard Kimber and getting it reworked.  Just my opinion, I have heard some really good things about the TRP guns.  Here is the official Springfield web page about them:

http://www.springfieldarmory.com/prod-pstl-1911-trp.shtml

Here is a stainless TRP for $1079 new in box on gunsamerica.com.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976238827.htm

HKocher posted awhile back that he sold his HK USP Tactical .45 to buy a TRP "Operator" model, and told me to do the same as he says the Springfield will easily out-shoot my $900 "big Tac."  I couldn't believe it, he is  a big HK nut just like I am, so to turn his back on his Tactical and tell me that the Springfield kicks its ass really means something.  Just to give you some idea of the reputation these pistols are garnering.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Spending a $1,000 on a Kimber or a Springer is the same as flushing $350.00 down the shitter.

I own two Kimbers so I am not a hater.

Springer / Kimber / Wesson represent GREAT value in their base models. Buy one and then head to the smith for any do dads.

FWIW - you may just want to head to the smith and ask what it would cost to start from scratch on a Caspian frame and slide.

Link Posted: 12/14/2002 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Spending a $1,000 on a Kimber or a Springer is the same as flushing $350.00 down the shitter.

I own two Kimbers so I am not a hater.

Springer / Kimber / Wesson represent GREAT value in their base models. Buy one and then head to the smith for any do dads.

FWIW - you may just want to head to the smith and ask what it would cost to start from scratch on a Caspian frame and slide.

I would like to reinforce what SIX says here.  I have a Kimber custom target that I thought was totally superior to my plain 'ol 70 series Colt.  Then, I upgraded a few parts for about $50 and it performs nearly as well.  My $385 Griffon that I bought purely for its low price and list of "upgraded" features ended up performing every bit as good after a little rework (and about $35 worth of parts).  In sum, just buy a good base model and have it upgraded by a good smith.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Get yourself a Kimber Eclipse II Target and sleep easy from now on!
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd suggest a custom shop Kimber or an STI Trojan. You won't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the Springfields. I have both Springfields and Colts and prefer Springfields.

Recent Colts have slides sharp enough to be used as boxcutters. There is no excuse for not easing the edges on a quality piece.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 1911 UltraCompact, factory melt...OD Teflon by Kurt at KKF.  AJAX Faux Ivory grips.

Under 100 rounds prior to the custom work.  Its yours for 450.00, not to shabby since I spent 600+ and you save 500 for mags and ammo after shipping and insurance.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Being a loyal Kimber owner and true lover of my Kimber. I would have to agree with Six & Headpulper . Buy a lower end model and spend a few dollars at the smith to up grade it with good parts. You'll be happier and with the money saved you can start on a AR project .

HaPpY HoLiDaYs [<|:D>]

Jerry

Link Posted: 12/15/2002 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#11]
check out the sti`s.....or find a good used series 70 colt for about$400-$500.. and have somebody go thru it......the "others" are all good.....but you can overspend......the only other options....mil spec springfield....or a norinco...then build it......colt DOES make the 70 series again....AND a milspec 1911....keep hounding.......stay away from 1991`s
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought one of the first Kimber Compacts and let 6 friends shoot it.  Now 7 of use own more than 8 Kimber variants.  What more can be said?  We've even got our picture on the wall in the Kimber Custom Shop!
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#13]

HKocher posted awhile back that he sold his HK USP Tactical .45 to buy a TRP "Operator" model, and told me to do the same as he says the Springfield will easily out-shoot my $900 "big Tac."  I couldn't believe it, he is  a big HK nut just like I am, so to turn his back on his Tactical and tell me that the Springfield kicks its ass really means something.  Just to give you some idea of the reputation these pistols are garnering.

Actually, I sold my TRP (standard, they didn't have the Operator back then, it was the first year the TRP and FBI/PRO model came out) to buy the USP Tactical and was disappointed with the Tact. versus the TRP, but BATMAN got the rest right.  I did prefer the TRP to the Tact, and could outshoot with the TRP.  Also had less malfunctions with the TRP, which surprised me on both sides.  I figured a USP would be much more reliable out of the box versus a 1911.

Anyway, I'm looking for a new 1911 to fill a void in my life, and I'm seriously considering an STI, but that's a lot of scratch for a handgun...

www.1911forum.com is a great place to go to talk 1911s.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Take a look at the Valtro.  They will run you more then 1,000 but it will be worth every penny.  If I did not have a STI I would buy one.  You can read about them at 1911.com.  The company has a website at www.valtrousa.com/aboutvaltro.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top