BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2002 10:28:08 PM EDT
Im wanting to know what battle rifle in the world is:

1. most easily available

2. easiest to mass produce on a grand scale

3. cheapest to mass produce on a grand scale

and 4. easiest to find parts for.

Id find this knowledge helpful for if the Sh*t ever really hit the fan really bad and I had to arm a lot of people with new weapons.

thanx.

and no im not paranoid.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The SKS has got to be pretty easy to mass-produce.  Nothing about is is very complicated IMO.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#2]
AK? sense it was the most mass produced rifle
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Since you're referring to "battle rifles" I'm going to say a the G3. It's a stamped receiver in 7.62mm NATO. Very easy to produce.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#4]
There is some great info on that at World Guns
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:24:23 AM EDT
[#5]
IMO AK's are. Most of the countries where they are made, labor is almost free.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not quite sure I understand your question - at all.

Are you asking what would be a good rifle to buy a large quantity of as preparation for SHTF scenarios?

I'd say an AK clone (like the SAR) would be good in that they're cheap, super-reliable and ammo is cheap and available now.

Are you asking which rifle would be easiest to get ammo and spare parts for?

I'd say the AR system, since the government has MILLIONS of them and there are so many domestic manufacturer of rifles and parts.

Are you asking a historical question about which rifle has been easiest and cheapest to manufacture - from a factory/process/raw material perspective?

I'd agree with Sukebe - a rifle using stamped parts is much easier to mass-produce.  The germans really took advantage of this during WW2 and the G-3 is a direct descendant of that process.

Are you distinguishing between battle rifle and assault rifle, and civilian versions?

Are you sure you're talking about battle rifles?  Those would be FAL, M-14 and G-3, using the powerful 7.62x51mm cartridge.  Assault rifles (or the civilian clones of them) like the AK's and AR's are a different type of rifle, and not "battle rifles" per se.

As you can se, the answers are very different depending on what your question actually is.  Help us out here.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#7]
The easiest form scratch would be AKs,they don't need quality materials and probably would work as well if you did use them and diin't have that AK sloppy fit we all know and love.

The easiest to wip up right now would be AR-15/M-16A2s cuz there are soooooooooooooo many parts out there,on guy could probably have 1,000
ready to go in a week useing only parts from the net.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I read recently, with no proof but memory, that there have been approximately 80 million AK-47s made.  Kind of answers the question.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top