Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2002 2:57:49 PM EDT
Can anyone point me to a source where I might find a military surplus M1 Carbine folder? I can't seem to find find one anywhere. Like the one below.

Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I came across one at the gunshow last weekend. They're not too uncommon, however not very cheap.  If you're looking for an authentic one, I understand that the true ones were only made by a single manufacturer, I can't remember which one though.  apparently there's a lot of fake ones out there.

Someone else here probably knows a lot more about them than me.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a new in the box reproduction folding stock for the M1 carbine. Looks just like the one in the picture and is made of walnut.
It is for sale or trade.
email if interested.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Inland was the only company to make the paratrooper stock for the M-1 carbine. I think the number produced during WWII was in the 35,000 range. They go for about $500 if you want a real one. I have seen very good coppies for around $150 if you just want the 'look'.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. I'm going to hit the show thiss weekend and see what I can find. Cumberland, if there is no joy this weekend I'll probably look you up.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 4:47:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Bunghole,

I ended up getting a Plainfield repro M1 that was in a standard style stock, but I think it was birch.  Someone on here sold me a repro folding stock that was all walnut.  Fits and functions GREAT!

Makes that little gun even more compact, and it doesn't really weigh any more.  It's a good way to make the carbine a little more fun.  :)

Link Posted: 12/11/2002 5:11:22 AM EDT
[#6]
My carbine is one of only 2 prebans that I own. I figured I might as well put as many evil featureson as I can. Actually, the carbine is a C&R.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#7]
The good news… Navy Arms has the reproductions for $100. I have seen original M1 Paratrooper Stocks in good shape go for in excess of $750.

www.navyarmsmsd.com/html/accessories.html

The bad news... your carbines are not pre-ban if they do not alredy have a folding stock, if you put the stock on an M1 carbine that did not have one before the "94 ban" you will be creating an “assault weapon” by adding a folding stock and pistol grip to the carbine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#8]
So are you saying that I cannot put a folder on my carbine? It's an IBM with a 1945 date stamp.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes the M1 carbine with standard stock does not meet the definition of an “assault weapon” until you put a folding pistol grip stock on it.

If it the rifle was not configured as an “assault weapon” before the “94 ban” you therefore would be manufacturing an “assault weapon” if you put the folding stock on the rifle.

Same thing applies to a 10/22, Mini-14, or an AR that was not in a pre-ban configuration before the “94 ban” (basically any rifle with a detachable magazine).

If you purchased those rifles before 1994 it might be hard for the ATF to prove you broke the law.  If you purchased those rifles after 1994 it would be relative easy for them to prove you broke the law.  Either way it would be a violation.

Stupid, ain’t it!
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have an Inland M1 Carbine, by the above definitions, you could be in luck...

...because they might have been issued with the folding stock to begin with, and then had it taken off at a later date.

Would that loophole work? :)

(Only Inlands were issues with folding stocks; the rest were all fixed stocks)

And Max_Mike, all AR-15's pre-ban (except the neutered colts) were in assault-rifle configuration when the ban happened...they already had five of the evil features. (Pistol grip, detachable magazine, threaded barrel, flash hider, bayonet lug) Even the neutered colts were...pistol grip, threaded barrel, flash hider, detachable magazine.

Unless that some how does not make a rifle into assault-rifle configuration ;)

Ed
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Ummm, my folder stock for my made in 1945 M1 Carbine broke, so I am replacing it.
Look at this very nice made in 1945 wood stock that goes with it.
Oh this M1? I bought it from a private party/gun show back in the late 70's.

Link Posted: 12/11/2002 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#12]
All AR-15s before the ban did not have a 5 evil features. I saw several AR-15s without bayo-lugs, flash hiders/threaded muzzles before the ban (usually varmint rifles) and if they had not been configured as an “assault rifle” before the ban it would be a violation to modify the to a “assault rifle” configuration now.

Only Inlands were issues with folding stocks but other manufactures M1 carbines were retrofitted with folding stock during rebuilds. The problem is proving your carbine had one.

I don’t think the ATF will go after this stuff now but I am sure at some point in the future they will then you could have trouble.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Sportsmans guide has repro folders, I think the were running about 125.00
Good luck "replacing" your old rifles damaged stock. ;)
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#14]
On the issue M1A1 stocks, the rivets the attach the leather cheekpiece to the metal plate are steel. In the repro stocks they are brass.  That's the only obvious difference between them. Also all the repro stocks I've seen are M2 configured.  That is, they have the pot bellied front end, the cut for the selector switch and the inner clearance for the connector lever.

While there were apparently some GI M2 cut folders, made at the end of the war, the vast majority were M1 flat forend types.

If I recall, the repros are or were made in Italy. Advantages: Pretty obvious in ease of carry, and storage.  Hell, I carried one as a car gun for awhile a long time ago.

Disadvantages:  Well, the inner lugs on the folding butt plate will ding up the side of the stock every time you carry it folded.  The inner lugs on the hinge wear out really fast, leaving you with a lot of wobble.

My understanding from my old top kicker, who jumped w/the 101st on D Day, was that they weren't meant to be carried folded any time except while jumping. When you hit the ground, you were supposed to extend the stock and leave it open from then on; which is probably why they didn't bother hardening those lugs.  Don't know if the repros changed to harder steel or not, but be aware of this "feature" if you go for a GI unit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 1:36:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Bunghole,

If you don't find one, let me know and we can talk about mine.  I am looking to sell it.  It is an original stock, but the barrel group is not the original one.  It is not perfect, and I am not looking for collector prices here, but it is unique.  I just have not priced it yet.

I have great GI mags, 4 or 5 each of the 30 and 15 round variety.  Flash Hider.  Tons of stripper clips and a couple of bandoliers.  Old manual, all packed in a bag that was used to carry an extra M60 barrel (so I was told, cool bag for it).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top