Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2002 5:14:55 PM EDT
And suprisingly it's not a cheap knock off.

I went into a local shop today to fondle as many handguns (9mm and .45) as possible before making up my mind. Glocks, Sigs, HK's, Rugers, Kimbers, etc.

The one that impressed me the most though was a Springfield High Capacity 1911. Wow. Unlike many of the other HiCap 1911's, it has a forged frame instead of a polymer frame. The grips are a bit wider than regular 1911's, but didn't seem too big by any means. A hell of a nice gun. And man, 14 rounds of .45? Sweet! Came with two tens and two fourteen rounders.

Pretty sure I'm going to get it. But before I dropped the cash, figured it wouldn't hurt to ask around.

Any experience with these? I hear they actually have a reputation for being  even more reliable than other 1911's.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Be sure and put mag price and availability into the equation.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You sound PUMPED about it!
Do it.

Cool.

(...still has 10 rounds; feels good; 2 14-rd. mags with it; what's not to like? )
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya, I'm pretty stoked about it. It seems like a hell of a gun. But again, figured it couldn't hurt to ask around first.

As far as mags go, I get four right off the bat. And from what I understand there are plenty of para-ordinance 14 round mags out there.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Shamus:

I've heard that double stack .45's have earned a reputation for being difficult to keep running.  IIRC the HRT double stack of a few years back had teething problems and they needed to mess with the mags to get it going.  The most recent posts from smiths and users strongly suggest that a fighting 1911 should be single stack.  As I understand it, the problem is more of a magazine issue.

I'll try to dig up some threads for you.

Ah, here's one:

64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum56/HTML/000080.html

Larry Vickers
Member   posted 03-05-2002 07:04                
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
None of the double stack 1911's are combat worthy
Everything has been tested - adopted and used are a different matter

This will not change until a major player gets into the hunt - not likely to happen with the 10 rd magazine ban

All the guns come from a competition lineage - therein lies the problem

All successful combat handguns were designed for serious use first, THEN any competition application - not the other way around

Hope this helps

Larry Vickers
Member   posted 03-06-2002 20:01                
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The HK USP .45 is the most reliable of all the double stacks by far - If you must have a double stack .45, that is the one
Good service pistol - the ergonomics hamper it - it is a big, clunky gun

Accurate and reliable though and well made for what it is

I don't pretend to be an expert here.  In fact, other than the HK USP, I've never fired a .45 double stack.  Just trying to pass on some information.

Good luck.  Let us know what you decide.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#5]
14 rounds -

Single stacker here. Wouldn't change a thing.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:02:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know how stoked you would remain if you saw the photos that ran on this site a couple weeks ago of a brand new Springfield with the first inch of its slide blown off.  I have been trying to find it but don't know my way around this site well enough.  The owner did nothing wrong, the gun just blew.  I'll stick to my Kimbers and practice practice practice so I don't need those extra few rounds.  Eight is enough for me, which I can follow up with a super fast reload.  After seeing those Springfield photos I'll never trust a Springfield again.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Get it. You'll like it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#8]
foofytr:  Scary photos I agree, but those guns were stainless, this one isn't.  Also, it is understood that a bad batch of slides made it to the market before the error was caught, a few years ago.  I also was scared by the pics but Springfield apparently dealt with the issue quickly and professionally.  

Bad things happen to every company.  The difference is how those companies react when bad things happen to them.

Shamus, check your voice mail brother.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 11:47:30 AM EDT
[#9]
For that money I'd get a Kimber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top