Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2002 7:48:00 PM EDT
The time has come to step up from the square deal. Where is the cheapest place to get a Dillon 650?
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes, you can get a decent price break on one on ebay.  There was a guy offering one on ebay recently for 900 bucks...but that was with TEN complete caliber conversion kits, with dies, and in ten of the most popular calibers, no less!    The dies and conversion kits alone were worth a thousand bucks!

Nobody bid on it.  It may be up there again.

Search for "dillon" only in the sporting goods section, and you won't get anything but Dillon presses and reloading equipment.

Used 650's often go for near retail. But with their no BS lifetime warranty,  there isn't any reason NOT to buy a used one.  If it's worn slap out, just send it to Dillon and they'll give it what it needs and send it back.

I've got a 650 and it's fantastic.

Get the optional casefeeder.  The machine is too fast NOT to use it.  It's worth every penny.

Also, spring for the roller handle.  It saves a lot of wear and tear on your hand.

There isn't an option available for the 650 that I wouldn't buy, come to think of it.  Deck that sucker out, all the way!

CJ

Link Posted: 12/7/2002 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I hear you on the "no fear of a used a used Dillon" I have a Square Deal back at Dillon now that I bought used - they are refurbing it for free now.

When I gets back I will most likely sell it with 9, 40, & 45 dies.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 12:55:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't have any experience with this guy but the prices seem reasonable enough..

www.eguns.com/Dillon_Precision/XL650/xl650.html

He has a 650 new for 406. plus Shipping and Handling..

If you order through him drop me a line and let me know how things go..
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 1:24:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've got a 650 and it's fantastic.

Get the optional casefeeder.  The machine is too fast NOT to use it.  It's worth every penny.

Also, spring for the roller handle.  It saves a lot of wear and tear on your hand.

There isn't an option available for the 650 that I wouldn't buy, come to think of it.  Deck that sucker out, all the way!

CJ

I also love mine. Have toolheads setup with a Universal De-capper die and Rapid trim in both 223 and 308.

I bitched to Dillon for several years to start selling a roller handle, and when they did I was one of the first to buy one. (BTW I ordered the RT in 223 2 years before they started selling them...)

Still waiting for the best add on... I want a bullet feeder and M.A. Systems collator so all I have to do is pull my roller handle.

I Admit - I'm the lazy loader.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Bullet feeder and collator?

Tell me more!

Where can I get them?

My only real complaint about the 650 is that it does take a couple of minutes to switch primer sizes.

I've thought about picking up a second, pre-adjusted primer system just to make that changeover a fast one.

I'd also like some convenience features added, like a primer system cutout lever that allows you to flick a lever and be able to cycle the press without dispensing primers.

A conveniently located lever for manually indexing the primer system would be nice, too.
And the little tray that catches unused primers is much too small.  Primers often fall off it.

I'm seriously tempted to have some custom tool heads made for me, CNC machined out of billet aluminum or maybe even brass or steel.  
Maybe I'll take another semester of the local college's machine tools program for just such a project...and while I'm at it, I suppose I could make brass replacements of every plastic part on the whole press, and lap the components for silky smooth operation!

CJ

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top