Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2002 8:27:38 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy an easy to use and handle shotgun for the wife. I was looking for a 20 gauge, semi-auto with an 18" barrel. I'm also looking for the shotgun to come without a stock but with the pistol grip configuration. If anyone know of any shotguns that fit this description then please respond.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 12:06:02 AM EDT
[#2]
What you need to do is go to Wal-Mart and buy a Remington 870 Express pump in 20 gauge. I think they come with an 18.5" barrel with bead sights and 20" barrel with rifled sights. You can probably get this gun for no more than $250 and generally they are great shotguns. Locate her some #3 buckshot and she should have the home defense set-up she needs.

And forget taking off the buttstock. A shotgun with only a pistol grip is about as close to worthless as you can get. They look cool but you lose the ability to aim the thing. Even at home defense distances, a shotgun still needs to be aimed to be effective.

The autoloader in the set-up you want is probably gonna be hard to locate. You might get lucky and find a nice 1100 Remington or an 1187. But finding one with the shorter barrel will be a real chore. I would still suggest the 870 because of this. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 3:52:36 AM EDT
[#3]
1100 20 deer...synthetic....has 20" rifled rifle sighted bbl......mossy USED to make the 500 in 20 in exactly the configuration you`re looking for......but i believe it is only in 12 now......cruiser....but this is easy to make........MY suggestion.....get a 1100 20 lt or synthetic and buy a deer bbbl for it....smoothbore.......next best is what charge hdl said...or the mossy 500.....parts are easy to find and replace......P-S...if it is srtictly for h-d....no hunting....you can always chop the vent rib bbl.....just be aware of legality....dpms used to sell a mag extension in 20....but i don`t see one anywhere now
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I went through this a couple months ago and ended up with a used Remington 1100 LT.  It will only take the 2 3/4" shells but that's fine for our uses.  I think I gave $240 for it.  There are plenty of accessories for them, they've been around a long time.  It came with a very long barrel but I picked up a ribbed 22" barrel for $50 at a gun show.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys for the responses. After I posted this I realized that the stockless shotgun was more for me to brag to my friends on what I was going to give to my wife. I definitely think I shotgun with a stock is the only option for her. But I was thinking a semi-auto would be a better choice for a woman or man because she could just aim and keep pulling the trigger.

Aimless, why do you think a 20 gauge is a bad option? I welcome your comments I just heard that they were around 40-50 less recoil than a 12 gauge. Having shot both the 20 gauge almost feels like a toy compared to a 12. Also a 20 should be more than enough with 00 shot as the round.

I had a Winchester 1300 defender 20 gauge a couple of years back (7 years ago) and I love that little gun. I just wish I could get the same configuration in a semi-auto.

BlackandGreen I'm going to talk to my local gun dealer about that setup.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Shooting standard ammo out of mine, I would compare the recoil to that of an SKS, maybe a little bit more.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey leadfoot......a few years back.....I tried to figure out what would be a real good all around shotgun that would fit just what you`re trying to do.....i thought the 20 gge autowas it.....i did use a 20 for deer hunting for a couple years.....with very good results.....but that`s really a different subject....i relly thought that if you wanted a defensive type shotgun.....that could also be a hunting gun ....the 1100 could be configured to that end......shop all of the out lets you can think of......that 20 is a very viable means to anything you need it to do.....short of getting bigfoot.........take care......B&G
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top