Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2002 8:15:00 PM EDT
Some of you may know Scott who has done gunshows for DPMS in Colorado and surrounding areas. He was recently chosen as the designated victim by the local CBS affiliate which did an undercover investigation on the ease and availability of converting an AR to Full Auto. This bogus report was then broadcast nation wide.

In there investigation when the facts didn't meet there expectations they employed creative editing. They packaged there fantasy and broadcast it as fact.

The backlash from this resulted in the decision to severely cut back on DPMS presence at gunshows and to only do some very select shows.

I am sorry that they made this decision, but fully agree that it may be necessary.

Scott is Good People, his absence will diminish Colorado Gun Shows. He and DPMS will be missed.

I made it a point to stock up on all the goodies... I know I can still count on Todd, but FAXing an order just isn't as fun.

DPMS will be at the Tanner show, but as far as I know, that is the end of the road.

You know if CBS had done a story about how brake fluid enhances the flavor of turkey somebody would make a fuss. Truth isn't always irrelevant.

I wish someone would sue there (CBS) ass into the next decade and beyond.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Did our local CBS affiliate do this or was it a national thing?
- Be kind of fun to start a spam campaign (boycot) on the local advertisers
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#2]
It was the Denver CBS station IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#3]
No offense, but that sounds like someone caving-in to media bullshit.

Shit, get out there and do TWICE as many shows.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Can Steve or whoever get us a list of advertisers and contacts?
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I think this thread has more info - I missed it, but heard a bunch of feedback.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=153973&w=searchPop

Also BTW - The Denver Post and Rocky Mountain news will no longer accept firearms classified from private citizens, and dealers are not allowed to list any Assault weapons. Effective Dec. 1st.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw him at the thanksgiving show, first time I didn't see the select fire parts on the table. He sounded none to pleased when talking about it but he was taking it like a man.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 5:34:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw that same clip on the news.  I remember him saying though that it was illegal to convert an AR to fully automatic.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Man oh man, I am really starting to hate denver and the surrounding area.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#9]
The story is still up.

If you watch the video there's a quick camera shot of someone handleing M-16 conversion parts packaged by DPMS.

When I first saw that I knew it wasn't going to be good.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Forgive me for saying this, but, if I were a vendor or if I ran a gun show, I would allow NO full-auto parts or parts set to be sold.  I have seen too many people who had 0% understanding of the law or who were fully intent on violating law buying these things.  Sorry, but DPMS was asking for trouble.

Link Posted: 12/3/2002 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Forgive me for saying this, but, if I were a vendor or if I ran a gun show, I would allow NO full-auto parts or parts set to be sold.  I have seen too many people who had 0% understanding of the law or who were fully intent on violating law buying these things.  Sorry, but DPMS was asking for trouble.

[>/:]

So I assume you would be against the selling of flash hiders and collapsing stocks at gun shows then?
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#12]
There is a LOOPHOLE that allows CBS to spread its own twisted propaganda... The first amendment protects freedom of the the press but that in now way should protect broadcast media...

As for Full Auto parts... They don't all "Drop In". Also there are many actual machineguns for sale at the Colorado Gun shows. Owners of these do need a source for parts from time to time.

Just because I have a few empty bottles in the trash, a gas can for the mower, and shop rags on the shelf does not mean I am conspiring to assemble Molotov cocktails.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#13]

DPMS will be at the Tanner show, but as far as I know, that is the end of the road.

Are they going to be at the Show this weekend? I am going to that show, If so I will stop buy and support him a bit.

KC
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Too many liberal Californians moving to Colorado and infesting the place. In particularily, the cities where the likes of Sun and Hewlett-Packard are feeding.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Flaming crock of shit

Witness the Californication of Colorado.  These bastards wonder why we get more and more militant.  Blatant f%cking lies.....

Link Posted: 12/6/2002 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No offense, but that sounds like someone caving-in to media bullshit.

Shit, get out there and do TWICE as many shows.

AMEN to that.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Worked with a guy twenty years ago who was from Colorado. He said that among the people he knew, John Denver was a hated figure because
they blamed him for raising the profile of Colorado,and causing the influx of California
liberal types, ruining the politics and raising the taxes and cost of living for the
common folk. Anybody know if that view was common there back then? (or now, for that matter)
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 1:06:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Boy am I glad I didnt buy that DPMS reciever. If they're gonna lay down and lick their balls over something like this, they wont get any of my cash. Getting a little tired of gun manufacturers being wussies. Make a stand for Christs sake! Believe in what you do! Or dont do it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:22:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Boy am I glad I didnt buy that DPMS reciever. If they're gonna lay down and lick their balls over something like this, they wont get any of my cash. Getting a little tired of gun manufacturers being wussies. Make a stand for Christs sake! Believe in what you do! Or dont do it.

DPMS is top shelf and Good People. I think the media blitz may have caught them off guard. I also think they may be following the 3 R's.

Retreat
Regroup
Reattack!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top