Do they even exist?
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Sacrilege!
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The "chings" of a thousand Garand clips will haunt you until the day you die if you put that Garand in a synthetic stock!!!

ColtShorty©

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."

Link Posted: 11/30/2002 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Relax, I want one for my Century Garand.  I wouldn't think of using synthetic on a GI specimen.

Figured synthetic would hold paint better.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#5]
...you might get by with one of the laminated stocks out there...but the first time you took a black M1 to the range, the linch mob would run you off...
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Read the topic of how idiots fuck up guns.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
...you might get by with one of the laminated stocks out there...but the first time you took a black M1 to the range, the linch mob would run you off...

I got some nice new rope.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I seem to have touched a nerve.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 5:36:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Takes what 5 minutes to swap them.  

Save undo wear and tear and that  original WWII cartouched stock (if this was the situation, but it's not).  

It's a Century recieved edition anyways.    

OSA
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#10]
OOOHHH Thats just wrong!

Might as well put a wood stock on a AR. [>(]

Link Posted: 12/1/2002 6:48:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I know a sherrif's Deputy that got a plastic stock from Brownells. He kept that CMP Garand in the trunk of his squad car.
Saved his walnut from getting banged up.
To Him, it was a tool, not a wall hanger or collectors item.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 6:52:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 7:19:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sacrilege!

I second that, "Garands belong in WOOD"
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You do mean a synthetic stock for an M14/M1A right? Not a M1 Garand...that would be bad!

No, I meant what I said, He carried a CMP Garand with a plastic stock in the truck of his squadcar. This is a rual county, open country. It looked kinda funny, but it worked well.

Later he replaced the M1 Garand with a Dept. Issue Full Auto M14.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Put it in plastic, keep the wood at home to keep it safe. First time you accidently bang up a pristine collectible stock you will see what I mean. You can always put the original back on when you want to show it off.
BTW, I just ordered a plastic stock for my inland M1 carbine. I want to save the original WWII wood as it is now.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Go to Freds fredsm14stocks.com.  You can beater but seviceable wood for $15.00.  Includes metal.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Well I guess this is my post to piss people off. I'm gonna put a synthetic on my Springfield garand. It's a tool guys go out and use them. Wood is for "purty" guns.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Well I guess this is my post to piss people off. I'm gonna put a synthetic on my Springfield garand. It's a tool guys go out and use them. Wood is for "purty" guns.

SorryOciffer

Wood is for "purty" guns??

Guess lots of the main battle rifles are just "purty".

Make sure you get on of those multicolor bright looking ones. They look real cute on the M1!
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the DPMS stock set. It looks close to G.I. contours. It's just what I'm looking for to put on my 7.62mm NATO "Tanker Scout" project.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#21]
G-I contours.......dude must be gay........
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#22]
From an accuracy standpoint, the synthetic is not affected by temp or humidity changes, and the rifle retains the poa/poi relationship.  Of course, I am able to get a better "grip" on a wood stock than a syn.

I look at my firearms as tools and treat them as such.  While I don't have a syn stock on my M1, I don't see the problem with it.  In fact, after I get my CMP SA M1 back from Fulton Armory (having it reparkerized) I MIGHT just put a syn stock on it!

Libertas an Mortis!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have a Ram-Line synthetic stock on my 7.62 Nato Garand.  Matches well with the Vortex flash suppressor and the M5A1 bayonet grips.
Since I bedded the action into the stock, shoots about 1MOA, too.  Even in the rain.

If anybody should give me any static, I simply ask if they own an M1D.

Another sacrilige, a Garand in .308!!!

I do have an M1D on the way.  Should have it in about a week.  No scope, however.  Anyone know where I can get an original scope?
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I do have an M1D on the way.  Should have it in about a week.  No scope, however.  Anyone know where I can get an original scope?

Try here; www.whatacountry.com. They advertise M-84 scopes and mounts.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Dude, you're going to hell!
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SorryOciffer

Wood is for "purty" guns??

Guess lots of the main battle rifles are just "purty".

Make sure you get on of those multicolor bright looking ones. They look real cute on the M1!

Or maybe lots of the main battle rifles have wooden stocks because wood is the easiest material to work with...
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Y'all feel the same way about 1903s and A3s?  The stock on my 03A3 is pristine.... I love to shoot it, but I don't wanna screw up the stock.  I'm ordering an old CMP drill 03A3 with a synthetic stock, and going to put it on my functioning one.  I don't think it's that big of a deal.  You swap them out in a couple of minutes.  I'm all for keeping the USGI stuff on the rifles.  I just don't like the idea of beating up the wood.

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:16:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I never want to own an M1 without a worn metal finish and dings in the stock.  The history speaks to me

Just something about holding a gun that could have been at Iwo Jima, Normandy or Bastogne...
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:29:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Would was used because it was plentiful, easy to turn out, and cheap, not for it's durability. My wife accidentally knocked over my M1 after I loveingly refinished the original stock, keeping all the markings and marred up all the upper handguards and took a chip out of one of them, the lower only got one dimple.

Accident or not, the only thing that kept me from going old testiment on her was the fact that she was my wife. Accidents happen but that was almost to much to bare. If it had sythetic I would not have cared near as much as it would be a piece of plastic.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Would was used because it was plentiful, easy to turn out, and cheap, not for it's durability. My wife accidentally knocked over my M1 after I loveingly refinished the original stock, keeping all the markings and marred up all the upper handguards and took a chip out of one of them, the lower only got one dimple.

Accident or not, the only thing that kept me from going old testiment on her was the fact that she was my wife. Accidents happen but that was almost to much to bare. If it had sythetic I would not have cared near as much as it would be a piece of plastic.

SorryOciffer

"That had to hurt"
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 6:22:05 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I never want to own an M1 without a worn metal finish and dings in the stock.  The history speaks to me

Just something about holding a gun that could have been at Iwo Jima, Normandy or Bastogne...

I bought a Blue Sky import Garand (I was told they came from China or Korea) in the 1980s that had a completely shot out barrel (Looked like a smooth bore with lots of pitting) & Had pieces of Hair & Skin stuck where the buttplate & stock meet. I often wondered how that happened!
Maybe some marines last ditch before being overrun by the Red Chinese in Korea! I hope he made it out OK.

PS: I had Tony Pucci @ Orion7 convert it into a .308 Tanker, It shoots great!
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I hope you find what you need to complete your M1D, LarryG.

raf, my dealer has it in Atlanta and I will be picking it up on my next trip up there.  I asked him about the mount that came on it, whether it was a Weaver type rail.  He said it was not and described it, but didn't make sense.  What does the scope mount rail look like on the M1D mount?
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope you find what you need to complete your M1D, LarryG.

raf, my dealer has it in Atlanta and I will be picking it up on my next trip up there.  I asked him about the mount that came on it, whether it was a Weaver type rail.  He said it was not and described it, but didn't make sense.  What does the scope mount rail look like on the M1D mount?

The mount is not a rail, it's more of a clamp with a screw that fastens to the mount on the barrel. The clamp goes around the M-84 scope. The link I gave you earlier doesn't have a photo. Try a search under M1D.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#35]
My Garand:
1942 SA Receiver
1950 SA barrel
All other parts fall in the range of 1942-1945 USGI components.
Also, it's not a CMP Garand.

Original walnut stock was slightly loose fitting and had been to hell and back showing dings scratches and outrageous dents of which all I love and will do whatever it takes to preserve these historical blemishes.  Groups with original walnut stock were 4" at +50 yards.  Anyone that understands the mechanics of a Garand knows that a tighter fitting stock means better accuracy.
http:// " border=0>

Synthetic stock fit was tight, and accuracy went to 2" @ +75 yds.
http:// " border=0>
 Very happy with my $68 Ram-Line Synthetic Stock!
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Pic posts,  I forget which way to post them.  i'll try again:
Original:
http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/1124356.jpg
Synthetic:
http://
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  hetichttp://
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 5:24:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Werew,

wow.... I must admit... it does look quite nice in synthetic stocks!  I never thought I'd hear myself say that!!  Now, I would like it much better without the checkering.

hmmm... the gears grind in my head... I could build a 'beater' on a rack grade, and slap it in a synth stock, to be used for hunting or blasting.......

Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:15:38 AM EDT
[#40]
I can't believe I am saying this, but I may have to put the M1D that I am getting into a synthetic since it will be a shooter.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#41]
raf - post pics of the flash hider. I been thinking about getting a CMP receiver, barrelling in 308 and sticking a flash hider on it too.

Wouldn't do it to my Springfield - even though it could probably use a new barrel.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the comments on my Synth. stocked Garand.  As far as the checkering goes, I must admit it is the ONLY thing that I don't like about the Synth. Stock.  Bell & Carlson sell a synth stock for the Garand also and it also sports the checkering.  It sells for $200.

I have a solution for the checkering,  i'm shaving the checkering off flat and putting a textured grip surface similar to McMillan's, a wavy black texture.

Going from the loose to a tight fit stock was like acquiring a new rifle altogether.  I've only begun to get acquainted with my "new" Garand.  

When not shooting my Garand for long periods of time(3-4 months),  it's old stock is installed and then its stored in a shadow box mounted on a wall above my desk.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top