Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2002 1:56:28 PM EDT
O.K., I've heard of people using AR-15 variants for hunting varmints but today I was taking a closer look at the box that my new 7.62 X 39 VEPR (AK-47) came in and noticed that on one side there is some Russian writing and on the other side in big bold English letters it reads "Semi Auto Hunting Rifle".  Now maybe it's just me but up here in Washington State I haven't seen too many hunters carrying these guns around in the woods looking for deer.  Can anyone tell me if you or if you know of anyone that uses an AK-47 for hunting?  Is it legal with a reduced capacity magazine?  What type of game would you consider taking with this caliber?  
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#1]
A friend from church uses his Mak-90. But here in Texas there's no limit on magazine capacity. You just can't use a fully automatic or a sound suppressor, without specail permits or permission.

You can take anything up to whitetail. Bigger than that, hope your a good shot.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I took an 8 point Michigan White Tail with my AR10 a couple years ago.  used a 10 round mag with a chunk of wood in the bottom to limit it to five rounds.  

1 shot just below the throat patch at about 35 yards when it facing staight towards me.  It spun around and took off on a 50 yard death run.

Bullet had traveled the full length of the boiler room and exited just right of the bung hole looking up his ass.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I used my SKS successfully last year. Heavier softpoints seemed to do the trick. 'Course, I was usually pretty close...
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#5]
People in Washington State must be Tom Foley communists. Anyway, the AK 7.62x39 round is a great deer round 150 yards in. It's a nice load overall, similar in ballistics to a .30-30. I guess most don't use an AK because there are more powerful rounds out there, like .308.

The AR-15 is the ultimate varmit "pimper" though. One of my college buddies from Kansas used a Les Baer Super Varmit to great effect on his grandpa's ranch. Prarie dogs and Hornady V-Maxs tend to "go together" quite well

themao

Got ice picks?
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#6]
With the right bullets and charge, the 7.62 has about the same ballistics as the 30-30.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#7]
My TROMIX .458 SOCOM upper is very nice to hunt with. 16" with 7 in a 20 roung mag makes an awesome "bush" gun.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top