Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2002 2:48:52 PM EDT
How do you fellas who have one like it and how is the trigger? Is the trigger like most Rugers, needing some attention?

Lee
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]

I've changed my stock trigger with some Volquartsen custom parts and I'm much happier. The stock one wasn't that bad.

(edited - wrong Ruger!)
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry no 411 on the Ruger 10/22T factory .920 gun... But as far as tricking out factory 10/22 sporters: The trigger is the only part that needs to be changed. My factory barreled 10/22 with a Volq trigger can shoot with "tricked out" models all day. Ruger sets their triggers to insane pulls for liability reasons.

Most of the crap "changed" on a 10/22 is voo-doo. Once the trigger is set to a decent pull, the gun will shoot bugholes.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#3]
My plainjane 10/22 trigger sucks and the comb is to low on the stock for good scope shooting.
When I consider how much I will have to spend to upgrade my 10/22 with trigger,stock and barrel,it makes sense to me to just go buy factory target model and be done with it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The hot trigger tip according to the guys at rimfirecentral.com is to replace the stock hammer with a Volquartsen hammer. You don't really need the Vol. trigger/hammer kit, just the hammer, about $35 (or is it $25?).

But I had already installed a Clark hammer/trigger kit years before I discovered rimfirecentral.

But those guys have many, many other tips on suping up a 10/22. And many ideas are real cheap. Like a blob of J.B. Weld to take care of trigger creep.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Jonnie, now I have new site to be obsessed with. Cool place, I can see its going to help me make an informed decision the way this site helped when I got down to buying my AR.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had better, MUCH better results having things remachined rather than buying a bunch of doodad, gee whiz, go faster parts of dubious quality. Check out CPC. He's a frequent contributor to Rimfire Central and knows his stuff. Randy can take a factory 10/22, rework the trigger group, barrel, and bolt at nominal cost and make it shoot as good or better than any duded up 10/22. Helluva lot less cash involved than buying all the gear.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#7]
The 10/22 target has a slightly better trigger pull than the stock version. Last time I weighed one it was about 4-5 lbs. Stock is 7-9+. I re work all the existing parts, add a over travel stop screw. And they go out of the shop at 2-2.5 lbs or higher depending on customer request. I personally have 2 here that break at 1.5 lbs. The 10/22 target has a damn nice barrel on it. All it need is a good bed job, a free float to the barrel and a cleaned up trigger.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually, fine tuning a Ruger 10/22 is my current project that I'm really getting into (read: probably going over board).

I switched to a Houge over molded rubber stock, a Green Mountain bull barrel and a Volquartsen  trigger group. It's still a work in progress but by far the trigger set-up will make or break the project.

Another parts switch worth the money is installing an extended mag release. Why Ruger hasn't copied or bought out any rights to it is beyond me.

If the bolt release bugs you as much as it does
me and practically every other 10/22 owner, you can save yourself a few bucks by simply filing out the little hook where the ejector retaining pin passes through.

My next step is to bed it properly, scope it and find out what ammo it like best.

I know your question was originally about triggers, but you hit on something I could babble on about.

Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Nailbender
  My target model in SS shoots pretty descent and the trigger is acceptable. Don't know what Ruger does different on the target than their standard 10/22 but the target has a much better trigger as far as weight and a little smoother. Winchester powerpoints shoot pretty darn good in mine and also my brothers blued target and his AMT Challenger. My brother fire lapped his blued model and it outshot a friend's Clark built which was twice the money. I think for the money the ss target is a pretty good investment. Probably not a competition gun but accurate enough for fun. Ya just need to drive up to Lemmon and shoot mine, ok. I have a 4x16 Weaver on it and it is a blast.Never had a 22 that was this much fun.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#10]
The whole diffrence on the trigger that I found between the two, is the target has the sear polished and the standard dosn't its just dropped in.
Link Posted: 11/28/2002 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a K10/22T last Saturday, the trigger seems to be nice on it. Not heavy at all, very smooth, hardly noticable creep before a crisp break, and only a little takeup.

I think I will leave it where it is, as opposed to making it so light I just think about it to fire...
Jonathan
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 4:43:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I love my 10/22T! It's not intended to be a competition gun, just a nice upgrade from a standard 10/22 at a very affordable price.

I get dime sized groups at 50 yards on a calm day. That's good enough for my casual plinking usage.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#13]
http://www.ct-precision.com/

Try this link, I sent my Ruger 10/22T to him and I'm really pleased. The trigger pull is about 1.5-2 pounds and it's a tack driver. The price was reasonable for the services provided.

steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top