Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2002 5:04:50 AM EDT
OK, I play computer games :) . I am currently on a forumn for the new game "Raven Shield" Third in a series of games based upon Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6 novel, but anyways I am in a discussion with someone who claims that "bullets rise when they leave the barrel" and ".30-30 bullets reach peak velocity at 20 yards downrange"

View his latest drivel here : forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view.asp?name=rb3rvsdemo&id=zzqyl

and any assistance you can give in giving this kid a clue would be apreciated.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 5:16:45 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
that "bullets rise when they leave the barrel" and ".30-30 bullets reach peak velocity at 20 yards downrange"

Gravity acts on a bullet flight path the moment it leaves the barrel. If the barrel was aimed perfectly level you could not hit your point of aim because the bullet would start dropping as soon as it left the barrel. Ever thrown a baseball or football? You throw it UP slightly so it flys in an arc, first rising then finally falling until it lands where you were aiming.

Same thing with bullets only the arc is much less because their flight time is less. If your scope is aimed level then the barrel is actually aiming slightly up. So yes, the bullet initially flies up, peaks out, then starts dropping, until it drops  back to your aim point at, say 100 yards.

So maybe the 30-30 bullets do peak out around 20-30 yards. The peak would be for its trajectory, though.  Velocity ALWAYS decreases once the bullet leaves the barrel.

Link Posted: 11/23/2002 5:25:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like this is also one of those people who think that if you lock up the brakes on a slick road, the car will accelerate while skidding.......
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#3]
A friend of mine used to say;

"Don't try to teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and irritates the pig."

So, know when to throw in the towel.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I invited the individual to post his theories here, where there are alot more gun knowlegable people. We shall see if he takes me up on it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#5]
A bullets maximum velocity is RIGHT out of the barrel, but most will chorongraph the speed of bullets 5-15 feet after the barrel.

Like ECS said, bullets just don't travel flat.

Gravity still plays a part, it just doesn't have as long to play that part.

Also, why the hell are you guys talking about the 30-30 round? Does this game actually have a firearm that shoots 30-30?

Cool, all the modern weapons, but they just had to mix in a lever action 30-30, sweet!

I'll be perfectly honest, my win94 30-30 wouldn't actually be that bad of a CQB rifle, IMO the cowboys had it good if they had a lever action 30-30 with them back in the day.

Edited to say: after bullet leaves barrel, it no longer has any compression for powder to burn against, so there's no way it can GAIN speed after leaving muzzle.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a good one for you guys. Buddy of mine actually had a SSG and SFC here at work try to tell him that the reason 7.62 rounds out of a M-60 and 240  penetrate deeper into sandbags at 200 meters than shorter range was because the rounds were accelerating as they went downrange. That was also what the tracer element of the round did according to these geniuses. Geeezzzzz.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Uh Angst, bullets fly up at first because barrels are elevated relative to the horizon.

themao

Got ice picks?
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Uh Angst, bullets fly up at first because barrels are elevated relative to the horizon.

themao

Got ice picks?

Yup, that's what I was going to say.  Some ballistic tables show the bullet path based on a 100 yd zero, giving the impression that the bullet travels up and then along an arc.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top