Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2002 6:37:30 PM EDT
I am looking to display some rifles on the wall and would like to do so horizontally. This would require two brackets. The first would be by the stock/trigger. The second would be on the front part of the stock instead of the barrel as I figured it would not be good for the weight of the rifle to be held by the barrel.

The question of the day is if you have a 26 inch heavy barrel (even with the stock supporting the weight) would the barrel not bend to some degree after a few years? What about a rifle that was hanging this way for 20 years. Would the barrel bend (due to gravity and its weight) at least a little?

Although it would not look as good, I may have the rifles on the wall vertically to minimize the tension placed on the barrel.

Should I post this question on some science related board???????????

Thanks for any feedback.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that you are underestimating the strength of your barrel. your barrel is a tube of high tensile steel which can withstand many thousands of occurances of 50,000 psi not to mention the associated "barrel whip" incurred by the same pressures. The weight will have absolutely zero affect on your barrel especially since you said that it was an heavy barrel=  extra thick(and strong). Barrels can be bent but not by it hanging on the wall from their own weight.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#2]
gotta echo that one.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#3]
You could always put a bracket right above the stock near the butt, then put another bracket down by the trigger area. That would keep it up and you wouldn't have to worry about the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I once read that all auto manufactures store engine crankshafts vertically because they will warp if laid down horizontally. A crankshaft is kinda an odd shape, but i would have never thought about this. I honestly forget the reasoning behind doing this, but i found it interesting.

As far as a rifle goes, I wouldn't worry about it. I store some my guns muzzle down so oil doesn't run into the stock and ruin the wood. A little TLC, some shooting and inspection and you'll be fine.

-Luther
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top