Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2002 12:34:45 PM EDT
I have an old Winchester Model 88 in .308 (it was my Dad's deer rifle)
Its kinda different...it is a "lever action", but its not like the "normal" lever action rifles (its sorta like a "lever actuated, bolt action" for lack of a better term) and it uses a removeable magazine.
Its a great shooter (with a pretty stout recoil though)

I havent seen any other Model 88s (not that I looked particularly hard)
Can anybody give me any history/info/interesting facts about this rifle.
Is it "rare", or have I just not happened to have noticed any other ones.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#1]
THE MODEL 88
This hammerless lever-action rifle was introduced in 1955. In design it represented a radical departure from that of previous Winchester lever action rifles. The more significant changes were its rotating bolt with triple locking lugs, its enclosed receiver, detachable box magazine, one piece stock and side ejection port.

Caliber

.308 Winchester

.243 Winchester

.358 Winchester

.284 Winchester

Although the Model 88 is no longer in production, its manufacture did continue until 1975. Therefore, recognized variations are "pre '64" and "post '64" models with both rifle and carbines in both periods. During the 20 years it was produced, a total of 284,971 guns were made.

Bob
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#2]
This was the same gun my Dad carried while hunting, They are pretty nice guns, His was stolen about six months before he passed away from Cancer. I would like to find the loser who stole it. Anyhow, I will be looking for one someday to add to my colection for nostalgia sake. It shot fairly well and had a 4 or 5 shot clip.

Stace
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one and love it.

BUT...

If you decide to take it apart, get a shop manual for it. It took me a manual and 3 days to get mine back together.

I felt like a freakin' idiot!

Tony
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The Model 88 was one of those firearms that weren’t especially popular when being manufactured, but seem to be gaining a degree of popularity now.  I believe prices are starting to go up for them.

The only complaint I’ve heard about them (other than not looking like a lever action is supposed to!) is that the triggers aren’t too great.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine has a really SWEET trigger. smooth pull with a crisp "break".
Yea, It doesnt look like a lever action at all.
Looks like a bolt gun with a lever on it (and actually... thats what it is)
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a model 100 in .308, the semiauto version of the 88.  It is a great gun, is a good size, and has a detachable magazine.  The magazines are a bit pricey these days though.  Great rifle, enjoy the heck out of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top