Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2002 7:18:18 AM EDT
Just got a new SIG P239 for my CCW and its hard as hell to pull the slide back when there is a round in the chamber. Is it supposed to be this way? The manual says it is a mechanically locked action, is that why it is like that?
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 7:45:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Wait until you've run about 1K rounds through it and then ask the question. SiGs are very, very tight when new and it will take that long from them to get fully broken in.

I know you don't want to do it, but you're just gonna have to go shooting more often. Sorry, but that's the price you have to pay.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 11:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just got a new SIG P239 for my CCW and its hard as hell to pull the slide back when there is a round in the chamber.

Should be very very little difference in feel between a loaded racking & an empty one, IMO.

Not trying to be a smartass, but when you say "hard as hell", compared to what? A NIB 1911? A Sig P-220? Beretta 92FS? What?

Make sure you have proper lube on the slide rails also.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#3]
My benchmark for "hard as hell" slide racking would have to be a NIB Browning HiPower.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 12:59:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Just shoot it. I never carry a pistol until I've ran around 500 rnds through it. 200 of those will be whatever HP load I plan to carry in it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... Should be very very little difference in feel between a loaded racking & an empty one, IMO. ...

Agree with Bob.  If it cycles easily when empty but with great difficulty when loaded, something is probably wrong.  I’ve fired quite a few P239’s and have never seen this happen.

Make sure that the magazine has nothing to do with your problem.  Suggest you chamber a round, drop the mag, and then see if you still have problems retracting the slide.  Keep in mind that pressure against the slide from the top round in the magazine makes the slide a little harder to cycle - this is normal.  

An overloaded magazine will cause the exact problem you are describing.

I’d look at the ammo next.  Maybe try a different brand.  An oversize round can get stuck in the chamber and cause cycling problems.  Hopefully you’re not trying reloads (anything is possible with them).

Take a careful look at an ejected, unfired round for any really scarred, mashed or otherwise damaged areas.  This may give you some clues to what’s going on.

I’m assuming the chamber is clean – I once saw a P228 get locked up from a round getting stuck in an incredibly dirty chamber.  I doubt this is your problem, though.

If you think it might be a round getting stuck in the chamber, try taking the barrel totally out of the gun and seeing if a live round will easily drop into and out of a clean chamber.  It should.  

Also, the base of the round should line up with or go just a little past the rear edge of the barrel hood (the squarish projection at the top, rear of the barrel).  If it doesn’t go into the chamber far enough to line up with the hood, you’ve either got a headspace problem or an overly long round.

Be careful doing this since even in an unassembled gun, a live round in the barrel can be potentially dangerous.  Keep both ends of the barrel pointed in a safe direction and don’t drop it!  Also, don’t get a round stuck in the barrel!

While unlikely, an out of spec extractor might also cause this.  If this is a possibility, strip the slide and see if an empty case will slide up and down the breechface without getting hung up on the extractor.

Let us know what you find out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Racking the slide with a full magazine does require slightly more effort, expecially in a new handgun.  Although,  it should not feel "hard as hell".

When you received your P239, prior to firing it the first time, did you field strip your P239, clean thoroughly the rails of slide&frame, barrel lockup lug and wipe down the breech block face?

If not, do so......then liberally apply some TW25B onto the forementioned surfaces.  Liberal application of the lubricant means that upon visual inspection it should be easily noticed that these surfaces aren't shiny smooth anymore. Re-assemble and rack w/o and then with a loaded magazine(in a safe manner of course).  

Everyone who's said the SIG has a "break-in" period couldn't be more correct.  This period varies, depending on how you prep the firearm and ammunition used.  Some take 100 rnds. and some take 500 rnds.  

For an interesting read on SIG's break-in period, check this out:www.galleryofguns.com/shootingtimes/Articles/DisplayArticles.asp?ID=1230
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
url]www.galleryofguns.com/shootingtimes/Articles/DisplayArticles.asp?ID=1230

That would be alot of fun.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My benchmark for "hard as hell" slide racking would have to be a NIB Browning HiPower.

You should have tried to rack the slide on the new Les Baer we just got in.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top