Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2002 1:55:27 AM EDT
A buddy of mine has what looks to be an unfired M1 carbine, made by Universal Firearms corp.  SN 1109xx.  He's thinking about getting rid of it for something more modern. AR, perhaps?

How old is it?  What's it worth?

I know somebody here can shed some light on this for us.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 2:51:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure the age but the value would be less than that of a GI M1 carbine. Also, from what I hear, Universal carbines are pretty hit and miss. If you are interested in getting one for yourself, I would suggest that you try to locate a GI carbine. If you are just trying to help him price it, perhaps someone else can offer the current value. I have a Blue Book here, but it is a few years old and may no longer be accurate.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not looking to beat him up,I'm not really interested in the rifle.  Just trying to find some info for a friend.....

He is lurking on this thread...  I've sent him the URL.

Thanks,
Tim

p S..

I'll have him sign up here .

be nice to the newbie...........  David is a good guy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#3]
A Universal in very good to excellent condition should bring about $350.00. It's worth considerably less than a G.I. carbine. It has no collector value so the value would be based on the fact that it is a good (not great) quality pistol caliber semi auto carbine. I am a fan of the .30 carbine. The round is under rated and to call it a "pistol caliber" is under estimating it but most people consider it a pistol caliber. If you want an M-1 Carbine copy then the Universal should do you just fine. There are better and there are worse.

edited to say;
If I wanted a semi auto carbine and was on a budget, for that price range the SAR-1/2 AK clones can't be beat.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#4]
So how much does he want for it?
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 12:37:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So how much does he want for it?

Not trying to be a smartass (it just comes naturally) but that is exactly the intention of this post.  Trying to find a fair market value, so everyone gets a fair deal.

Sukebe, thank you for the info.  

Anyone else with comments?

Thanks,
Tim
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 4:17:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Even good looking Universals only bring $200-$275 around here.  They are definately hit-or-miss like the previous poster stated.

Balming
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#7]
anyone else have bits of wisdom on this discussion?  Thanks to all that have contributed so far...
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 12:54:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Parts do not interchange with GI,thus not as popular and price reflects this. $250.$300 if you really want it bad and like your friend a lot. Good shooters but no collector value.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 5:04:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm the guy that owns the Universal M1. Thanks for all of your comments. I think I will hang on to it and go just go fire the thing. Tim, let me know when you want to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top