Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2002 7:13:02 PM EDT
Just picked one up in 300 Win Mag.So far I like it alot.Anyone have any comments good or bad on them?Payed 250.00 for it so I didnt get hurt.Later,45B10
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Built on a Mauser action. Should be good for all your life.
Small arms repairman??
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
That receiver is hard as a diamond. I built a .458 Win Mag on that same action, broke 6 bits befor I could drill the floor plate and receiver to put in a screw.

You got a good deal.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#3]
a friend of mine has one in .375 H&H
it's "safari" style with open sight but nice finish & fun to shoot

the action does look very strong

EDITED to add: it's actually a Whitworth but same action I think
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#4]
OldTiger
       Yep small arms repair.Went to AIT @ Aberdeen.Saw some cool stuff there.Wish I would have stayed in the Gaurd because I worked mostly with the M60 and 50cal.My unit trained every other month on Crew Served weapons so of coarse I had to be at the Range every time they shot.Had alot of fun thats for sure.Later,45B10
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#5]
You got it for a very good price. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]
The Mark X is an excellent rifle, in my area a nice 300 Win Mag would run around $350. A few years back I decided to build the perfect sheep rifle I started with a Mark X Receiver and threw a couple of barrels of $ at it, when it was over and the dust had settled I had a 300 Win Mag that shoots under .5 M.O.A hot, cold clean, dirty doesn't matter the consistency is incredible but it had also evolved into a (with scope, Bipod, 26" barrel and fully loaded) 12 LB Behemoth. Hell I can't hardly lift the damn thing.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#7]
The more I shoot this rifle the more I like it.Soon as Deer season is over Im heading to the inside range for a bench session with it.Id like to put it on paper to see how accurate it really is.For a 300 win mag its really comfortable to shoot.I talked to a local smith thats a Mauser Guru and after Deer season ends Im turning it over to him to glass bed the action,barrel is allready free floated,hand cut some checkering and do a high grade blue job on it.Hes also gonna work over the trigger.Might be one I hang on to for my boy later on.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I have three of these rifles that I bought new in the early/mid 80's. Two Whitworths and a Cavalier. The Whitworths were higher priced models that Interarms imported at the time. I think I paid $400/450 for them. The Cavalier cost me about $350. These are classic mauser type rifles. I've been very happy with mine. I've read on here about people complaining about the 'soft' steel used to make these rifles. I've not noticed anything at all with my rifles that would cause me to come to this same opinion. For the money, I think I've done great with them.. :)

By the way.. my caliber list..

243 Winchester
270 Winchester
7mm Mauser
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I was one of the people commenting on the soft steel...Its not the action itself, but, the barrel steel, I have a MarkX in 22-250 bought used, probably made in the 80's, 'Smith that rebarreled my AR commented on the steel used for the barrels, he told me they were softer than barrel steels used here, and they wear more quickly,and has rebarreled alot of them, (bore on mine is very bright and shiney, however, you can barely see any rifling,) rifle shoots 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 groups with any weight bullet at 100 yrds, leads me to beleive he's right,( I figure it should be shooting 3/8-1/2 groups at 100 yds) good side is, these are a easy rebarrel, Hopefully, since they've just started reimporting these again, they've started using a better grade of steel for the barrels,Actions themselves are nothing short of excellent,never heard bad things about them
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#10]
So how do I tell which Mark X I have.My barrel say P Ackley 300 Win Mag or somthing like that.Ill check tommorro to see.Its in the truck and dont feel like running out to check it right now.Guy told me when I bought it that it had a P Ackley barrel on it.Didnt think much about it then but have wondered if its been rebarreled.So what do I need to know to tell the difference in the Mark X.Is there one thats better than the other?I like it so much Id buy another one if it come along.Thanks,45B10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top