Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2002 5:53:48 PM EDT
Quick question:
Is it legal to sell a handgun to someone who resides out of state if the transfer is done in my state?  I live in Oklahoma and a guy from Texas wants to do a face to face trade.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope. Federal law prohibits handgun sales between a state resident & a non-resident. A FFL must be involved in the non-residents home state in order for him/her to buy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#2]
So it must be shipped to an FFL. Or if the guy brings a copy of his dealer's FFL (not the guy buying) would this be legal?
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So it must be shipped to an FFL. Or if the guy brings a copy of his dealer's FFL (not the guy buying) would this be legal?

Nope. The only exception that I know of is if it's a C&R firearm and he brings an original copy of his license. Just not worth the risks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#4]
In order for the transaction to be legal, it must be received FIRST by an FFL holder in the buyer's home state. There's no way around that.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top