Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2002 2:03:01 PM EDT
I was surfing and came across a ar-15 pistol made by Olyarms. Does anyone have one. It sure looks wild. Thoughts,gripes,comments and praise all welcome..
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks pretty cool but I don't really understand the point of that weapon in .223.  To take full advantage of the .223 round and its long range accuracy, muzzle velocity and trajectory you would not want a barrel much shorter than 14.5" in length.  I think there are alot better calibers out there for pistol weapons but as a conversation piece, I think the Oly Arms pistol does look pretty cool.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 1:12:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I was surfing and came across a ar-15 pistol made by Olyarms. Does anyone have one. It sure looks wild. Thoughts,gripes,comments and praise all welcome..

It works well.  It is based upon the same technology as the OA-93 upper.  You will get 2200+ FPS out of it.

Why have one?  Why do people want full auto with a 7.5" barrel.  Because it's fun to shoot!
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 2:26:55 AM EDT
[#3]
"You will get 2200+ FPS out of it."

Too bad 5.56 needs to be going 2700 FPS to work right!

"Both M193 and M855 bullets do not fragment if they strike at a velocity of less than 2500fps. For a 20" barreled weapon rounds will fragment out to 200m range and for a 16" barreled weapon out to 150m range."

Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:00:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
"You will get 2200+ FPS out of it."

Too bad 5.56 needs to be going 2700 FPS to work right!

"Both M193 and M855 bullets do not fragment if they strike at a velocity of less than 2500fps. For a 20" barreled weapon rounds will fragment out to 200m range and for a 16" barreled weapon out to 150m range."

It's a "novelty", or a very compact inside the house gun. You got shot with a 22 doing 2200+ fps to the head,, threat is over. Your'e in a world of hurt if if frags or not, the pressure cavity on a body shot is going to take things for ride.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Mark, do these pistols come in pistol calibres, like Oly rifles do?
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I do not own one but I have played with them at the gun shows, the metal screen over the top is pretty weak, other that that it is pretty cool. I know I am going to get flamed for this but : I like the PO pistol better, looks better, better balance, the only disadvatage would be the buffer tube.

How fast does a projectile have to be going to defeat light armour? I'm pretty sure that 2200 fps is fast enough to pierce light steel, and out of a handgun that's cool, fragmentation or not.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#7]
what is the barrel twist rate?

maybe it could have *social* uses if it can lob 75 grain bullets.

(or is it too short for a 1/7 twist to "take"? - dunno too much about this.)
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#9]
It would make a kickass 10mm gun!
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#10]
They make this in only 5.56.  The biggest problemis keeping the weight down below 50 ounces.  To make a 10mm would require a bigger barrel, chamber, bolt and he weight is almost assuredly over 50 ounces.

If you use the right ammo, this pistol can do a lot of damage, especially when you can have 30 rounds and reload fast.

It is not perfect for everything, but for many situations, it will work just fine!
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Can they get any of their pistol calibers to work with their bufferless design? As an SBR upper it would make a very very very sweet subgun.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 5:14:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It works well.  It is based upon the same technology as the OA-93 upper.  You will get 2200+ FPS out of it.

Mark,
 The OA-98 with 6.5" barrel has a velo. of 2200fps+, correct?
  Are the OA-98 and OA-93 6.5" or 7.5" barrels?  I thought I'd seen both numbers on your website and wasn't sure..
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#13]
is it the preban or the swisscheese looking postban monstrosity?.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Can they get any of their pistol calibers to work with their bufferless design? As an SBR upper it would make a very very very sweet subgun.

I just shot roughly 100 rounds of .223 through a brand new unused  OA-93 upper with a suppressor attached to it.  Worked flawlessly.  The gas tube was getting a nice red hue to it in the low light.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
 The OA-98 with 6.5" barrel has a velo. of 2200fps+, correct?
  Are the OA-98 and OA-93 6.5" or 7.5" barrels?  I thought I'd seen both numbers on your website and wasn't sure.

The OA-93 upper has a 7.5" barrel length.  I also believe the OA-98 is 7.5", though I do not have any in stock to measure one.

The 6.5" comes from Oly and it is possible that the OA-98 has a 6.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 11:17:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
is it the preban or the swisscheese looking postban monstrosity?.

The OA-93 is a PREBAN looking upper.  The OA-98 is the "Swiss Cheese" thing!
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 11:58:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just shot roughly 100 rounds of .223 through a brand new unused  OA-93 upper with a suppressor attached to it.  Worked flawlessly.  The gas tube was getting a nice red hue to it in the low light.

Pistol caliber Mark, I didn't ask you to make me jealous of the fun job you must have 'evaluating inventory'.

I'm sure there's someone in Oly's Engineering Geek department who shares my enthusiasm for using the AR platform to build a subgun, and can see how the bufferless design will gain lots of interest. Especially if those working on the AR lower for use with highcap 45ACP mags pull through.

It really looks like Kurt's gonna deliver on the Tommy lower, imagine what sales will be like for Oly Arms .45ACP 7.5" bufferless upper's will be! (with $200 in tax it would still be cheaper than a HK USC!)

Works with us, Oly, work with us!
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 12:17:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It really looks like Kurt's gonna deliver on the Tommy lower, imagine what sales will be like for Oly Arms .45ACP 7.5" bufferless upper's will be! (with $200 in tax it would still be cheaper than a HK USC!)

The OA-93 series is not a bufferless design.  It actually has a buffer tube, but it is parallel to the barrel.

The PCR-9/10/40/45 are blow back designs and also use a buffer.

That said, I am not familiar with what Kurt is designing, but Kurt has a good reputation on making good stuff.  If the order is large enough Oly will work with Kurt.  If I an help, feel free to drop me a line.

Oh yes, on the OA-93 with the suppressor, it has no noticable rise at all.  It really is rock solid.  A nice thin flame shoots out 1-2 feet and is not blinding at all.  Without a suppressor, you see a major ball of fire and a LOT of noise.  The noise is on the edge of needing hearing protection, where a 16" barrel is not that much of a problem and a 20" barrel is very quiet in relation to the 16"/7.5".

Can was a Coastal M-223, 28 ouncer.  Very nice can for the price.

For those who wonder, both the 16" and 7.5" had a FIRSH handguard that did not heat up at all.  Of course, it was lightly sprinkling and cool out!
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 12:52:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I found the manual from an older post of yours that describes the 93 buffer system. Slick. So I guess my only question is whether it will work for blowback.

Would Oly arms make a 93 upper for me in 45ACP? I can't speak for the rest of the firearms community but I WANT IT!

Edited to add: Mark could you take a pic of the OA93 upper with a FIRSH? I can't imagine how you manage to fit it with the gas piston in the way.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 1:06:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I guess my only question is whether it will work for blowback.

It is just a matter of adjusting springs, one would think...  Yet, I have a feeling there is tuning to be dome so it will work.

Would Oly arms make a 93 upper for me in 45ACP? I can't speak for the rest of the firearms community but I WANT IT!

My general feeling is no.  Doing a one off is tough to do and support.  If someone ordered 100 of them, I am sure they would then look into doing it.

Edited to add: Mark could you take a pic of the OA93 upper with a FIRSH? I can't imagine how you manage to fit it with the gas piston in the way.

I am in the process of putting the stubby FIRSH on 20 - OA-93's to be made into AOW's.

The dissassembly process outlined in the OA-93 manual (on www.olyarms.com website under FAQ describes how to take it apart and install it.  The hardest part is getting the pigtail gas tube back on.

I will be getting pictures of it made in the future.  I am working on the laser engraving right now.  Once that is done, they are close to being finished!
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 1:23:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

My general feeling is no.  Doing a one off is tough to do and support.  If someone ordered 100 of them, I am sure they would then look into doing it.

Mark, that's simply heartbreaking, heartbreaking I tell you.

*sigh*

I tell you what. I have so much faith in the interest that will develop for this, I would order 100 uppers for $50k if they're a mixture of 45 and 9mm, and I have 4yrs exclusive sales of OA93/96/98 style pistol caliber upper whether in parts or complete firearm form.

I will be getting pictures of it made in the future.  I am working on the laser engraving right now.  Once that is done, they are close to being finished!

Mark this isn't highschool, don't be such a tease! Post them in whatever state with the firsh for us to see (helps your marketing too dude).

I hope you're using the aluminum Dieter foregrip for your project, if they're gonna be permanently attached they ought to be the best!

Edited to add:

Quoted:
The OA-93 upper has a 7.5" barrel length.  I also believe the OA-98 is 7.5", though I do not have any in stock to measure one.

The 6.5" comes from Oly and it is possible that the OA-98 has a 6.5" barrel.

May I speculate here, the uppers were made with 7.5" barrels with threads and Phantoms attached. For the post-ban versions of guns (the OA pistol is one of them) they chopped off the front of the gun to 6.5".

May I also speculate than Mark doesn't come across 6.5" barreled OA9x's because the lucky bastard never needs any post-ban stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top