Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2002 8:17:52 AM EDT
OK a couple of questions.  
this has been discussed before, but i don't have a search button and the website i used to visit on M14, M1, British Enfields and such shut down several months ago.(what was the name of that website and did the owner ever set it up for archives?)

1) where is it you send the Norinco receiver to have it heat treated (Fulton Armory?) and what is the charge (400?)

2) i have heard some guys say they are OK and some say the receiver needs to be sent off and re-heat treated to be safe.   which is it?

3) don't most norincos have USGI parts?   so would it be worth buying to acquire the parts?

4) what is the most $$$ to pay for the Norinco. guy is asking $800, but i told him he was dreaming and he wants me to make him an offer.

5)What is the name of the Co. that built M14s several years ago and went out of business because their receivers were no good. (not MKS and not ARMSCORP but the other guy)  wasn't it Federal Ordinance?

6) seems like i read the USGI mags will not fit the Norinco only the Chinese mags?

any other general info/opinions on the Norinco will be good too

thanks
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

1) where is it you send the Norinco receiver to have it heat treated (Fulton Armory?) and what is the charge (400?)

I (THINK) it is Enterprise.Cost ??

2) i have heard some guys say they are OK and some say the receiver needs to be sent off and re-heat treated to be safe.   which is it?

There have been some recievers (said) to not be properly treated.I was told the (Enterprise) will test its hardness and if its good will only charge you a test fee.I don't know that to be fact but read it hear on the net for ehats thats worth.

3) don't most norincos have USGI parts?   so would it be worth buying to acquire the parts?

No .Norincos are chinese made. The threads are metric .There are no USGI parts on them.The bolts are considered to be suspect on hardness also.Some people find they lose there headspace in as little as 1000 rnds.While others have fine shooting rifles.I think its a hit and miss.I would really like to hjave a reciever though.

4) what is the most $$$ to pay for the Norinco. guy is asking $800, but i told him he was dreaming and he wants me to make him an offer.

Yes if its a standard Norinco that HASN"T had the USGI converstion thats way to much unless the accesories make up for the cost difference.Ive seen people post that they paid $500-$650 NIB for them .Thats been in the last few months. But if it has had the USGI conversion(and its been done correctly, not a Bubba job) thats a fair price and praboly pretty good.The biggest in my opinion is the USGI bolt being fitted correctly with the recievers lugs.No job for the rookie.Needs to be done correctly.If he says its USGI parts,hope your experianced anough to know what to look for.

5)What is the name of the Co. that built M14s several years ago and went out of business because their receivers were no good. (not MKS and not ARMSCORP but the other guy)  wasn't it Federal Ordinance?

Yes

6) seems like i read the USGI mags will not fit the Norinco only the Chinese mags?

Ive not heard that.I know Chinese will fit American made M14's.I see know reason that the opposite wouldn't work.

any other general info/opinions on the Norinco will be good too

Like I said people have bought them and they shoot fine and keep on going.There have been cases where the reciever and Bolt have been found to be out of spec on the hardness.That alone I would have it checked out.But the reciever is Forged and that alone makes it desirabled .Best of luck to ya War Dawg
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#2]
www.smithenterprise.com Check out the M-14 information on the tactical sight.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I miss the Gun & Knife website too, the formatting was wired but it was a great place to get information.

I have a Norinco M1A Sporter I use for Elk huntng and plinking with a Generation 3 scope mount. Mine is awesome, I bought it over 10 years ago for $395, and I have never had a problem with headspacing, and I fire at least 500 rounds through it a year.

In fact just last week, I took an Elk down at 400 yards with it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to www.battlerifles.com.  They DO have a search button, and the Chinese M14 gets a lot of discussion over there.  I think both Smith and Fulton sites also discuss the Chinese receivers in detail.
Link Posted: 11/17/2002 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a Fed Ord before the age of easy available information on the internet.  Never had any trouble with it, but guess I was lucky.  

The Chicom versions of the M14 in my area are running on average $400 (have seen some for $700).  

My own personal opinion is to spring for the repro Springfield Armory now and don't need top worry or upgrade it later.  

OSA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top