Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2002 11:02:21 AM EDT

I want to buy a lower receiver this weekend at a gun show..  I cant buy the complete rifle due to simply not having enough cash laying around..
So I figured.. I might want to  try building one from scratch since it will be a while till I get an upper anyway.. and the cost of a striped lower + parts + stock isn’t that must different from a complete lower.. and I do something I haven’t done  before in the process..

So how hard really is to start from scratch.. I’ve heard all the stories on losing the small springs as they decide they don’t wanna stay where you want them to stay….  What special tools if any will I need?   Can some things be installed so incorrectly that it would be a danger..?

Would passing the Function Checks be all that I would need to do before I attempt to fire for the first time.

At this time the only thing I have to go on as far as instruction go come from .. old.ar15.com/docs/assembly and old.ar15.com/docs/functionCheck/ .
Can field strip an assemble with both eyes closed and Both hands tied behind my back… but that’s as far as I’ve ever even tried..  

To those that have built their own ARs.. was it pretty straight forward ? Are there any tricks I should know?

Thanks.

Cluster

Link Posted: 11/15/2002 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#1]
take your time.  No special tools.  becarful with some of the springs.  hardest area is putting the spring and detent in for the front pin.  the rest is easy.  should take about an hour.

later
lojack
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Only critical function test is the 'trigger fall test' (OK, I made that up).

Seriously, after assembly, pull trigger, cock hammer, place thumb of left hand to keep hammer from hitting receiver when released, and sloooowly release the trigger.  If it falls you need to either swap your disconnector or modify it.

Assembly should take about an hour.  Brass punches don't mar finishes as easily as steel ones.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Cluster
I just built my first last week. I used the docs you mentioned & basic tools. The parts were Oly lower & Oly PCR4 kit. Everything went together easily in under an hour. This included a thorough cleaning lube before assembly, along with stripping, cleaning & lube of the upper. Its shoots great.
If you have any questions ar15.com is the place for answers.

Good luck and good shooting.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 1:44:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I built my first ar a couple days back ... never took one apart never seen the innards ... just a bag of parts on the table ...

the only hard part i saw was that front take down pin detent spring ... but that wasnt all that hard once i figured out how to do it easy
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey,

I JUST built my first 2 days ago. It was SIMPLE. J&T Kit with a RRA lower. Took me an hour and all I had was the old.ar15.com instructions, a plastic/rubber hammer, punches, and a screwdriver. Very easy. Someone told me if you played with Legos as a kid, you can do this. He was right. Good luck.

Navy ROTC Guy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top