Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2002 4:26:16 AM EDT
It seems you guys down there are wallowing in the ridiculous laws as we are up here.  I recently got into the AR-15 scene after being graced by shooting an oly ultramatch based one at the range.  I went looking into buying one to find out that they are restricted up here.

for a bit of review for you guys down there here's essentially how it works up here

long guns that don't shoot full auto and have less than 5 centerfire (or unlimited rimfire) and fire a projectile less than 20mm across and is greater than 26" long is non restricted (basic fire arms license)

long guns that look scary (AR-15 types) are restricted (next license up ... an extra days class hehe) with any pistol with a barrel longer than 4 1/2" long

any gun that doesn't fit the above two is prohibited

So finding out that they are restricted was a pain ... and remember these are supposed to be the more dangerous weapons on the planet ... So I called up wolverine supply in Manitoba and ordered my Armalite lower over the phone.  Without ever meeting the guy, showing my photo ID (our licenses have pics on them).  Within a week it was at the house.

Now ... because its restricted ... there are annoying rules to deal with (after all it is a dangerous piece of metal ... ) it has to be locked up in a safe in unfireable condition (as much as a stripped lower can be).  If I want to take my stripped lower to a friends place to work on it ... I need a transport permit to move my stripped lower ...

So figure this out ... when its built (and I plan on putting it into m4 config) I'm looking what ... 2-300 yards range ?  Now why is that more dangerous than my Winchester mod 70 classic stainless in 300 win mag which I regularly shoot out to 900m ?

Silly laws I tell ya ...

I been getting bits and pieces of the pre-ban -> post ban stuff down there with pistol grips and folding stocks and the like.  We don't have those issues up here ... my mini-14 (good plinker but not much else) has a folding stock flash suppressor and pistol grips

Anyways ... my lil rant is over =)
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 6:18:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, that's the trade off for living in the land of the mapel leaf, you guys can get more fun stuff then us....20mm anti-tank rifles, AR-15s with all the evil features, you guys could legal even get S/A only G-36s and FN-2000 if you could find someone to sell them to you, but the paper work is a bitch.

Here I can walk into a Kame's Sporting goods (insert prefered store here) and walk out with a post ban AR-15, or any other post ban 'evil' rifle.

As far as full capacity mags go up there, must be nice to be able to get .22lr drums but 5 rounds for center fire, sheesh.

I used to live in Kingston, Ontario where are you from?
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 7:04:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually a couple hrs from k-town ... Ottawa =) the liberal capital of northern kanuckistan

And as far as the mags are concerned ... just because they are prohibited doesn't mean you can't get them easily.  Not to mention changing out mags in a mini-14 or ar-15 is easy enough ... so 5 rounders dont hurt too bad

as far as the drum mags for the 10-22 is concerned ... they are pretty crappy ... dont feed right especially in extreme weather ... the rubber belt is really finicky about the cold ...

now if I could get my hands on a beta c mag that would be pretty sweet ... I could "modify" it to only allow 5 rounds same as I did with the 40's by cutting a hockey stick (yes I use duct tape and hockey sticks for everything) to stop the follower from moving lower ...
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Now are you trying to tell me that Canada has laws concerning Firearms?

I never heard nothing aboot it.

No ATF, No FBI, No Justice Department, A nice man on a horse with a big hat and a shit eating grin on his face = Happy Shootin!
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#4]
naah Canada's laws don't concern firearms ... they concern firearms owners ... in that they are messed up ...

Whats funny is I work for an armoured car company ... so I carry my medieval s&w mod 10.  The carry permit says I can only carry while ACTIVELY ENGAGED in protection of self or others.  So when I go into timmies and sit down with the local boys to have my coffee I am in violation of that permit, yet they say nothing ...

and oh ya ... did I mention it took me 3 weeks to get the carry permit so I can carry a loaded gun around ... and 3 months to get a transport permit to carry a box with an unloaded and locked gun to the range and back (I need a different permit if I go elsewhere)
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#5]
The one advantage we Canadians have is an ignorant uninformed bureaucracy running the gun control system. We ban firearms on how they look and what kind of bad PR a firearm gets.

ie. the SIG 500's are not even restricted, but a semi-auto AK is prohibited in the same class as a F/A firearm, so go figure. And the Mag thing is a joke, pinned to 5rds at the range but 30rds everywhere else and we do not care when the Mag was manufactured.

Hey fzxdude, when are you guy's going to get real handguns to protect all my money. lol!

Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:34:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Gentlemen...

you think the Canadians and the we(Americans) have it bad..

Last week we went to Mexico thru Laredo, Tx.
got lucky enough to get picked for the "Random checks" upon entering Mexico..

The driver had 4 rounds of .45 underneath the seat.. it took 4 days and $4500 in bribes for him to "get out" of jail.

If you dont know any connected people down there you are phucked when it comes to firearm onwership.

Link Posted: 11/15/2002 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Well they been talking sig 220's and glock 22's for as long as I worked there ... I carry my cz-75 bsa (40 cal) in my vest ... but who's counting eh ?

And as far as the mag is concerned ya have it backwards ... 5 rounds off the range and more when noones looking hehe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top