Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2002 8:34:17 PM EDT
Awhile back I remember reading a thread about how TROY prefers to keep his setups basically stock (i.e. no KAC RIS/RAS rail systems, PRI tubes, etc) because adding a bunch of stuff tends to complicate things.  This is the reason I guess he has also opted to stay with the A2-type upper receivers instead of the flat tops (but he recently stated that he was thinking of getting a flat top, though).

At any rate, I too started to think about what I wanted in a defensive (is combat too much to use? lol) AR.  I had recently installed a PRI GEN II tube on my Dissy upper, but then began to think, "Damn, now I need a match barrel, a super duper scope, a trigger job..." The list was extensive. So, I began to ask myself, "What the heck do I really want this rifle to do?"  Do I want an SPR clone?  Sure it would be cool to have but do I need such a specialized upper?  I really thought about it and came to the decision that I didn't.  So, I found a buyer for my GEN II tube and with that money I'm going to put together a a flat top upper with a 20" goverenment profile barrel and one of Kurt's tac brakes.  And when I save up some more dinero, I'm going to rebarrel my Dissipator to match that upper.

If I want a precision type rifle (dare I say sniper rifle?), I think I'd rather go with an m1a or a bolt action in .308.  

So, I think my two lowers are better off equipped with two 20" uppers (as described above) in order to extract the most performance out of the venerable m193 round and to keep the setup simple.

I think Troy stated once that one needs to decide what role he/she wants their rifle to fulfill and to tailor it accordingly.  I guess I finally did.

SIDE NOTE:  I'm all for keeping things simple, but I do think a rifle would benefit from having a SURE FIRE light attached, but what would be a good way to attach one to a stock AR without a rail system on it?

Link Posted: 11/14/2002 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 12:54:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Still lots of good info where the old AR15-L went to at the Yahoo Groups AR15-l group:
groups.yahoo.com/group/AR15-L/

Quoted:
Half of what I know about ARs comes from the folks at this site (and formerly the AR15-L mailing list).-Troy

Link Posted: 11/15/2002 2:16:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 3:33:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
SIDE NOTE:  I'm all for keeping things simple, but I do think a rifle would benefit from having a SURE FIRE light attached, but what would be a good way to attach one to a stock AR without a rail system on it?

You have several options here.

1) Get a small length of Rail that attaches to the handguard (GG&G makes such a kit) and attach the light to the rail.

2) Follow the directions on MD-AR15.com and you can either build a mount for you handguard or for your sight tower.

3) Buy the Surefire Sight Tower mount

4) Bushmaster sells a 'clip on' rail mount that snaps onto your handguards (into the vent holes top & bottom) for a short section of rail to mount a light (fairly easy on/off).

5) Buy a TAC IIIM light - it has a clip on mount that attaches to the handguard similar to the Bushmaster mount.

BTW My M4 uses a single Fobus rail handguard on the bottom - it provides the rail to mount my light.  My M16A2 will soon be sporting the GG&G kit on the bottom handguard near the front for the same reason.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Theres nothing like the feeling of going to the range or some sort of competition, watching the guy with the cool new ACOG/Holosite/Aimpoint shoot the course, and then spanking his ass with iron sights.  Its even better when your rifle hasn't been sighted in and you have to use "Kentucky Windage".

I find that sighting gadgetry seems to be most people's attempt at one of two things:
1) Making up for lack of skill.  It seems that lots of people expect to slap a scope on a rifle and be able to instantly shoot 10x better.  I learned this the hard way myself when I took my PSS and my cool new Leupold Tactical out to the range and tried to hit things at 200 yards.
2) The "I gotta have the next cool thing" factor.  I think this happens even more than #1, but with the same results; C.H.S.

Scopes are like digital cameras, new technology does not mean that you're going to magically develop skills that you never had before.  A digital camera does not an artist make, and a scope does not a sniper make.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the ideas on how to attach a light.  I think i'm gonna go with the light on the handguard, as I have a PRI sight that was on the old set up that I still wanna use.
Thanks, fellas!
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have several options here.

1) Get a small length of Rail that attaches to the handguard (GG&G makes such a kit) and attach the light to the rail.

2) Follow the directions on MD-AR15.com and you can either build a mount for you handguard or for your sight tower.

3) Buy the Surefire Sight Tower mount

4) Bushmaster sells a 'clip on' rail mount that snaps onto your handguards (into the vent holes top & bottom) for a short section of rail to mount a light (fairly easy on/off).

5) Buy a TAC IIIM light - it has a clip on mount that attaches to the handguard similar to the Bushmaster mount.

BTW My M4 uses a single Fobus rail handguard on the bottom - it provides the rail to mount my light.  My M16A2 will soon be sporting the GG&G kit on the bottom handguard near the front for the same reason.

I checked out the GGG site.  Seems like the UFIR is the way to go for my 20" upper, cuz there's enough space on the handguard to permit me grabbing the handguard without grabbing a handful of rail.  How would this work on an M4 with its shorter HG's?

I liked the GGG's Down and Dirty attachment but it only seems to accomodate the 6p light.

Thanks, Forest.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#9]
As far as attaching a flashlight, I have a surefire attached to my M4gery via a mount that attatches to my front sight post. I of course activate it via a pressure switch. Works great.

Not sure who made it, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find the mounts and light to set it up. Probably at least $100 less than setting it up with integral handguards and such. I've probably got $200 in mine.

You may want to check out CMMG and see what they have.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top