Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2002 10:24:17 AM EDT
I cant find a PSS so I was wondering if I can build something similar from remingtons other offerings like the bdl vss and so on.I really want to take on this project, just knowing I have something custom and different from the rest.
My question is what kind of project am I looking at barrel change, stock etc. Whats the amount I'm looking at and have you done something similar and pictures will help thanks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I would start off with a VS and upgrade.  Either that or look for a Winchester Model 70 Stealth.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#2]
First, start with a Nesika Bay action ($1100).  Then order a Hart, Shilen, or Lilja barrel (say $450 after machine work is done).  Find a stock; HS Precision is okay, but not necessarily the last word ($600?).  Jewell trigger (~$100).  NightForce scope ($1100).  MSP or Badger rings ($190).  Assembly ($500). $3500 - that sounds about right for a precision rifle.

If you don't have a lathe, set aside $15000 (maybe more, maybe less) for one with enough stiffness and precision.

I'm trying to rain on your parade, but rack grade Winchesters, Remingtons, and Savages are not precision rifles.  Some of them will be sub moa, most won't.  The only way to make them precision is to dump a bunch of money in them, including part of the items (custom barrel, trigger, machine work, and qualified assembly) from the list above.

On the other hand, you can spend $500 or so for tools and rebuild rifles by buying prethreaded and chambered barrels, upgrading triggers, and swapping the stocks, and they will be pretty good rifles.  But they will never equal a truly custom precision rifle with a truly great barrel, chamber, and crown.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Try Accuracy International, Iron Brigade Armory, Tac-Ord, Inc, HS Precision, etc.

Go to sniperworld and check the gun links on the left for some guys doing precision rifle construction.

I think you can get a basic Chandler Rifle built up for about $5400.

Tac-Ord will do one up for your rifle plus $1600 or so.  Looking at $700 for the rifle and $1600 for the work, with no optics.  Figure $900 for a used Leupold Mk4.

Ed
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
First, start with a Nesika Bay action ($1100).  Then order a Hart, Shilen, or Lilja barrel (say $450 after machine work is done).  Find a stock; HS Precision is okay, but not necessarily the last word ($600?).  Jewell trigger (~$100).  NightForce scope ($1100).  MSP or Badger rings ($190).  Assembly ($500). $3500 - that sounds about right for a precision rifle.

If you don't have a lathe, set aside $15000 (maybe more, maybe less) for one with enough stiffness and precision.

I'm trying to rain on your parade, but rack grade Winchesters, Remingtons, and Savages are not precision rifles.  Some of them will be sub moa, most won't.  The only way to make them precision is to dump a bunch of money in them, including part of the items (custom barrel, trigger, machine work, and qualified assembly) from the list above.

On the other hand, you can spend $500 or so for tools and rebuild rifles by buying prethreaded and chambered barrels, upgrading triggers, and swapping the stocks, and they will be pretty good rifles.  But they will never equal a truly custom precision rifle with a truly great barrel, chamber, and crown.

I've fired many off the rack Varmint guns that all shoot sub moa.  In fact I've had 4 of them that all shot sub moa.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can bear the thought of owning a Savage Fred Moreo of Sharp Shooter Supply can build you a custom rifle on a Savage action with a Douglas barrel with the twist of your choice, in one of his stocks, in the caliber of your choice, wildcats included, for somewhere in the neighborhood of <$1200 unless his prices have gone up significantly. This is without optics of course. I don't know if he offers an accuracy guaruntee but with the work he has done for me I haven't needed any guaruntee.

He built my .22BR and tuned my .223 and I am very pleased with the results.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Contact George Gardner at www.gaprecision.net

He build a great precision rifle at reasonable prices.

http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=bsouth401&album_id=110303&image_id=2&courtesy=1

http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=bsouth401&album_id=110303&image_id=5&courtesy=1

http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=bsouth401&album_id=110303&image_id=11&courtesy=1
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#7]
If I recall, PSS is no different from their Varmint Synthetic model.  Only difference
is the tactical stock on the PSS.  So the barrel, action, and trigger are no different
from the one on VS.  You save whole lotta $ by buying the VS over PSS.  You can always add tactical stock later.  If you want bargain sniper rifle, look for VS or you can look for used FN Special Police rifle.  They used to sell for 800 or 900 dollars.  Supposedly damn accurate too.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#8]
The VS is a beautiful rifle.  The one that I owned was extremely accurate.

Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#9]
FYI-I own Rem700PDM (Police Detachable Mag).
Sweet gun indeed!
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I cant find a PSS ... <snip>

Here's a place that has loads of them.. I just ordered a LTR in 223 from them..

www.snipercountry.com/forsale/Display_Message.asp?Message=0000004837.txt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top