Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2002 9:19:52 AM EDT
I purchased some ammo some time ago mfg in W. Germany.  I took it to the range and the guy had a magnet and said I could not use it.  I guess they were steel.  If I buy Port. Battlepacks, are these going to pass mustard?  Before investing in some I would like to know I can use it at the range.  Thanks.  Ralph
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#1]
What are you going to use it in? I am using portugese in my SAR8, (Springfield HK clone...)

LOVES that stuff!!! Tosses the brass 25 yds!!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Portugese surplus is also jacketed with mild steel, then thin copper. No, it won't pass the magnet test either. SA will pass...guilding metal only (no steel jacket)...as well as being very good ammo. Sells for about the same as Port and also comes in the battle packs. Nothing really wrong with the Port either except it can tear up some berms / backstops.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#3]
where is the best place to purchase .308 SA surplus ammo and how much.  I heard good things about the portugese surplus, but if my range won't let me shoot it, what good is it?  Anyone else have similar issues?
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#4]
i use SA in my sar8 and it shoots fine.  a little dirty, but i clean them anyhow.  does fine. i will try the magnet test also.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Try Dan's Sporting Goods at

www.falparts.com

Great people, great service. Sometimes takes him a day or two to read his email, though, so you might prefer to call. He is having a special on the SA for FalFiles members. I may even get some more soon...running a little low myself.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#6]
port will definately fail the mag test as it is steel jacketed, too bad, it's good stuff.
i've got about 2000 rds from the 70s i'm burning up right now, and its awesome ammo.

try looking it up on www.falfiles.com

good info there.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the S.A. and Port. 7.62mm NATO or are they .308 Win.?
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I have Portuguese .308 and it fails the magnet test.  Are you in the Bay Area?  USI won't let me shoot it so I don't go there anymore.  They say it has started fires before, which I believe, but they would hassle me on it right after a rain. I'll make the drive to Chabot, much nicer range anyhow.  Not sure where to get cheap .308 that wont fail the magnet test.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top