Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2002 5:36:47 AM EDT
Hi Folks,

1.  What type of mount do you use to mount a glass sight on an M1A?

2.  What is this 1000.00 set of coupons that Springfield advertises w/new purchases?

Thanks,

WW
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:43:51 AM EDT
[#1]
3RD GEN SPRINGFIELD MOUNT,$1000 IS THE DISCOUNT OFF RETAIL PRICED ACC.MOUNTS,MAGS,SCOPES
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:50:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the Brookfield Scope Mount.  It is rock solid and is in use by the US Military.

Get a McMillian Stock too.  It will assist you in the stock weild.

Yes this will cost money but I have tried the cheap route before.

Max
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:52:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks...

I don't know much about their sights.   I just ordered an IOR Valdada 10x for my AR10.  Guess I'll need to do some research.

Regards,
ww
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Good place to start your research is www.battlerifles.com.   I've also just got my first M1A and have been looking into the same issue.  Seems most folks prefer the ARMS #18 for a mount - is much less obtrusive and sits much lower than the GI Brookfield or Smith's copy of it.  Only downside is that you can't use the irons with the scope attached with the ARMS as you can with the Brookfield design.  A real Brookfield will also set you back a bit more, although the Smith is only slighly more expensive than the ARMS.   Most think the Springfield mount is a POS, although I did order the "Scope it Out" promo package.  I'll probably keep the scope and sell the mount.  The purchase deadline for that offer was Oct 31, though.   The other coupons are mostly worthless.   The "$1000" of savings is off of retail price - and of course no one pays retail in the real world.  The prices with the coupons really aren't much better than can be found elsewhere.

Rocko
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 6:35:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Good place to start your research is www.battlerifles.com.   I've also just got my first M1A and have been looking into the same issue.  Seems most folks prefer the ARMS #18 for a mount - is much less obtrusive and sits much lower than the GI Brookfield or Smith's copy of it.  Only downside is that you can't use the irons with the scope attached with the ARMS as you can with the Brookfield design.  A real Brookfield will also set you back a bit more, although the Smith is only slighly more expensive than the ARMS.   Most think the Springfield mount is a POS, although I did order the "Scope it Out" promo package.  I'll probably keep the scope and sell the mount.  The purchase deadline for that offer was Oct 31, though.   The other coupons are mostly worthless.   The "$1000" of savings is off of retail price - and of course no one pays retail in the real world.  The prices with the coupons really aren't much better than can be found elsewhere.

Rocko

That's what I thought-mostly Hype-no matter.  My intention was to just shoot w/ the irons on this anyway...the IOR Valdata Tactical 10x goes on my AR10.  

http://www.cactustactical.com/valdada/10x56tact.html#topofpage  

to see my sight.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I would steer well clear of the SA 3rd Gen mount. To mate it to the receiver, in the instructions they tell you to install the mount & tighten the receiver screw as tight as you can, then "hit the mount with a hammer on either side of the screw" to get the rails on the mount to fit themselves to the grooves on the receiver. I don't know about any of you guys, but I just don't like the idea of hitting my $1200-$2500 rifle with a hammer. The ARMS mount is a whole lot better.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Brookfield is the best,good luck finding one.Smith,which I have, is a clone of the Brookfield.Arms makes a fine mount.I think the Smith and ARMS are equal,only difference being you can use iron sights with the Smith.Go to the Armory forums and this ? was answered recently under M1A already.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top