Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2002 5:42:29 PM EDT
just how good are the tasco ss scopes?, i am trying to decide which scope to get, i was also looking at the springfield unit for a 223 rifle, i was hoping to find a 16 power ss scope
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
In my honest opinion the Tasco SS series scopes are some of the best you can get for the money.  I have had no problems with mine and I'm sort of rough on scopes.

Check with SWFA.  www.swfa.com/riflescopes/tasco/index.html

Last I heard about Tasco is that they were being bought out.  Not sure what happens now if you do have a problem.  Something to look into.  Maybe in the optics section.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#2]
i have been suckered into a lot of cheapo scopes, and i just want some testimonials before i buy the ss, i may get the 20 power, i never shoot any shorter than the 200 yard mark, but i do go about 3-500 rounds of 308 a month, i just want something that will hold up, anyone got a 20 power they like?
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's my 411.

I just sold my 10x42 SS (here actually).

I'm trading up to a Nightforce NXS.

I really liked the SS.  Clear Glass, mil-dot was true to specs, repeated back to zero when adjusting for elevation, and it seemed rugged though I can't say I ever beat on it, and it was fairly inexpensive.

Having said that, I wanted a high-end scope with more magnification.  Something that I absolutely can be confident in.  I always had a little bit of doubt about the SS's internal ruggedness--no real evidece of that, but it was just my gut feeling maybe due to the low price point it sells at.

So, after playing with a NF NXS, I decided to go with the true high end.  NF just has some more features that I realized I would prefer (e.g. finer markings on the turrets for recording zero, higher magnification, turrets that feel like there are fluid damped yet are precise to no end, ultra-clear glass to aid my corrected eyes, and tank-like ruggedness).  

I think a fair comparison is that the Tasco is like a Honda, no frills, light, gets good mileage and will run forever; and the NF (or S&B etc.) is like a Mercedes, heavy, vault-like, powerful, and Teutonically precise.  

Maybe Jim_Dandy was right and I am a closet optics snob!
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think a fair comparison is that the Tasco is like a Honda, no frills, light, gets good mileage and will run forever; and the NF (or S&B etc.) is like a Mercedes, heavy, vault-like, powerful, and Teutonically precise.  

I think magnum hit it square....Tasco SS is like a Honda Civic.  Gets the job done it's designed to do, but it's not a Ferrari or a Bentley.

Ed

Link Posted: 11/13/2002 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#6]
i own two AR15's and one M1A.  If I was to invest in one scope how do I determine which one to obtain.  I would expect to shoot no further than 300 yards.  Can I use the same scope on the .223 and the .308.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#7]
i have a 20 power on the way from swfa, i hope it works good, i wanna put it on top of a 24 inch varmint rig ar
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Here's my 411.

I just sold my 10x42 SS (here actually).

I'm trading up to a Nightforce NXS.

I really liked the SS.  Clear Glass, mil-dot was true to specs, repeated back to zero when adjusting for elevation, and it seemed rugged though I can't say I ever beat on it, and it was fairly inexpensive.

Having said that, I wanted a high-end scope with more magnification.  Something that I absolutely can be confident in.  I always had a little bit of doubt about the SS's internal ruggedness--no real evidece of that, but it was just my gut feeling maybe due to the low price point it sells at.

So, after playing with a NF NXS, I decided to go with the true high end.  NF just has some more features that I realized I would prefer (e.g. finer markings on the turrets for recording zero, higher magnification, turrets that feel like there are fluid damped yet are precise to no end, ultra-clear glass to aid my corrected eyes, and tank-like ruggedness).  

What does the Nightforce NXS cost?
Who sells them online?
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#9]
My NF NXS is coming from Bearbasin.com

$1124.00 for the 3.5-15 50mm mil-dot reticle model.

3 day Shipping is free and handling is like $5.00.  You also get a free Leupold bore sighter to boot.  

They are (so far) real decent to deal with.  

I'll post a report once I get it up and running.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep...the Tasco is like a Honda and the NF NXS is a Rolls, and they are priced that way too.  LOL  I have had a SS 10x for a couple years now on my M1A and a 16x on my Rem 700.  I've got about 30,000 rounds on them together and neither of them have ever gliched even once.  In fact, I just took my 16x out this last weekend and walked 5 shot groups around the target in a square pattern and it returned exactly back to zero.
 Yeah....you may compare it to a Honda, but my Honda Accord has 280,000 miles on it and it still runs perfectly  :-)    So do My SS scopes :-)

Just my 2 cents worth  :-)
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I just bought a Tasco 6x24x42 Tactical/Varment scope with mildot.

Does anybody know how well this modle works.
I have always had Tasco.  After looking at everything else I buy Tasco.
I have always like the price and looks.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Of course I was right.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Of course I was right.

Well, at least that's the only thing I have to "come out" about!  LOL!

And my 95 Honda Civic has 158,000 miles on it and it still runs like it did the day it was new.  It's only needed 2 water pumps and timing belts (normal), CV joint replacements (also normal), brakes, tires, and struts.  

Still gets 35 mpg and uses about a quart of oil between changes.  Can't complain there at all.  

Let's hope the NF IS NOT like a Rolls and is more like a Mercedes.  Rolls is luxurious and all but British manufacturing sure leaves something to be desired (ever see a Jag or Triumph that didn't have electrical gremlins?)  
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Well, at least that's the only thing I have to "come out" about! LOL!

I won't ask if you won't tell.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 2:49:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I've had a 20x SS on my AR50 for two years now with no trouble. A friend had a 10x on his Serbu and replaced it with a 16x SS. Both of these are 50BMG rifles by the way. At the GSFS over half of the 50's were topped with Tasco Super Snipers. I think it will do just fine on a mouse gun.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 2:53:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Spend a little extra and get a Leupold VX-II Tactical.  I think swfa has them for around $350.  You'll be much happier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top