Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2002 1:49:28 PM EDT
I'm looking for a large cal. sub-compact carry gun. I'm looking at both the Sig p-239 in .357 and the mini glock in .357 as well. I know there is a little price difference but I'm looking for recomendations for both or possibly any others. Also what does it seem the going price is on these? Thanks for responding.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally prefer the Glock.  What I would suggest is you find a range where they have both and shoot them.  Sig Sauer and Glock make fine weapons.  Choose the one that best fits you.

Glocks came be had for as little as 460 new.

Sigs command a higher retail price so between 500-600 but you have to shop around.

I hope this helps.

Max
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Shoot both if you can , I like SIGS, nothing against Glocks,  Sigs just fit me better. Both are reliable and acurate, Sigs are thought to be more acurate. Glocks are cheaper and have quite a bit more aftermarket stuff for them. Like I said shoot both and buy what you like best.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
The little Glocks are really tough on you in 357 SIG or 40 S&W !

The Sig P-239 will shoot circles around a Glock in the small handguns.

Link Posted: 11/12/2002 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#4]
What sniper1az said.  Beware the sharp recoil of a glock in .40 or .357sig.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#5]
If you can afford the Sig, go with it vs. the "Grock" (Chinese way for 'Glock').

The difference of price between the two is really negligible.

Sig fit, function and performance is generally NEVER in question, as opposed to Glock.

I own both brands and love them both.  But my life if I could only choose one, would go to the Sig.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#6]
It's more of user preference. Sig has a decocking lever (extra step) while Glock is more of finger in the trigger=bang.
Guess if you are one of those people that needs a security blanket, go for the Sig.
Have the 22 & 27, no problem with recoil.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#7]
They do pack a punch in 40 and 357 but I would take it over a sig. Check out the Springfield XD40....I just posted about the gun in another thread
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Hummmm...

All depends on the primary need...

For concealed carry a G27 I just got a Glock Plug which pops out from behind the trigger.

Another NEAT safety feature...

Oh, I own a 220 too, guess which I carry.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I like my Glock 33

I like the .357 Sig round

I carry it every day at work

What more could I say.....
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#10]
A Glock may not have a decocker and just goes bang every time you pull the trigger, but that trigger is horribly squishy/springy.  For comfort and quality go with a sig.  Only drawback of sigs is the finish wears off fast.  A p229 in .357sig is the percect ccw gun.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 10:51:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Love my Sig's - But if I ever found a deal on a Glock 20 handgrenade I'd have to buy it... Because trying to find a P220 in 10mm is harder than finding a virgin in times sqr.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 5:43:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Go for a G30 or G36 in .45 cal.  Very compact, easily concealable.  If you have big hands, you'll need to add the grip extenders onto the mags.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 7:20:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not sure I'd consider the .357 Sig to be a "large" caliber, but it is a good one. I like my G31 fine, but have never fired the G33. For me, the "baby" Glocks have never felt right unless I add an extension on the grip. This, of course, negates much of their advantage for CCW. I might as well use the G32. I really like my Kahr P40 a lot and prefer it to my Colt LW Officers and/or my other autos for CCW on the person. .40 ammo is much easier to find and less expensive for practice, too.

Actually, the pistol I always, always, always have with me is my S&W 340PD in .357mag., but that's another story.

Link Posted: 11/14/2002 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Get a Glock, you won't be disappointed
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally posted by Glock31- "Get yourself a Glock, lose that nickle-plated sissy pistol"- Tommy Lee Jones-U.S. Marshals

Don't be proud quoting an anti-gunning hypocrite Hollywood left winger like him.  After all, he was room mates with Al Gore in college and campaigned for that looser!  Nothing to be proud of and/or giving him a 2 second "spot light" in this forum.

Link Posted: 11/14/2002 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I know it wasn't one of your choices but have you checked out the HK USP Compact in .40?  It's worth a good, long look.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Sig = Overly complicated gun.

I've watched people fumble with the hammer release thingy in Handgun classes trying to get the mag to drop.

Like they say...  manual dexterity goes out the window in high stress situations.  A glock is a little more idiot proof!
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Originally posted by Glock31- "Get yourself a Glock, lose that nickle-plated sissy pistol"- Tommy Lee Jones-U.S. Marshals

Don't be proud quoting an anti-gunning hypocrite Hollywood left winger like him.  After all, he was room mates with Al Gore in college and campaigned for that looser!  Nothing to be proud of and/or giving him a 2 second "spot light" in this forum.

Awwwww, I'm sorry I offended you HK45.  It'll be okay.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I must admit upfront that I am fairly new to this arena but here is my two cents worth:

Both the Sig and Glock family make great guns! I own four Sigs (P230,232,245,2340) and three Glocks, (G19,29 and 32CC) along w/ an H&K USP Compact, etc. With some of these guns, I have multiple caliber barrels.

I personally prefer the Glock subs/compacts for ease of use and feel! They are dependable, easy to use and  maintain, etc. If you want a small gun, in large caliber, try the Glock subcompact family. The Glock 29 (10mm) is small and powerful! For a nightstand gun, I use the Glock 19 or 32CC w/ an M6 illuminator/laser attached to the rails. I don't know if any of the Glock subs have the rails...

I would also recommend the Sig P232(.380) as a CCW gun. Its SMALL size lends itself well to CCW use and it can be effective w/ a HydraShok type round. The Sig 239 looks like a good choice-I haven't fired/handled one.

I own Glocks and Sigs in the following calibers: 7.65 Browning,.380 ,.357 Sig,.40S&W,9mm,10mm,.45, etc.If you get into the odd calibers (.357 Sig, 10MM) these guns can get  EXPENSIVE to shoot due to ammo cost AND depending upon where you live, you may not find the ammo readily available. If you stay w/ the .380,.40,9mm,and .45 caliber versions, you can operate them more cost effectively for little trade-off in ballistic performance. Help me out here you guys w/technical, ballistic info...

You can't go wrong with either family but the Glocks are a little less expensive to buy and have more after-market parts available for them.

Good luck in your search! You can't make a mistake either way!
Arm the airline pilots! Don't let the F-16 drivers be the only armed pilots in America...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top