Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/10/2002 4:47:39 AM EDT
Guys:

I'm curious. Have you noticed there is new competition coverage and new stories turning up in the American Shooter line up?  

Last night and this morning -- The Steel Challenge. (11/9-10)

Or have you given up looking for new stuff among the OLN American Shooter re-runs?

Jim Scoutten

Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:00:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi Jim. Love the show(even the re-runs)! New stuff is good though.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:09:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hi Jim. Love the show(even the re-runs)! New stuff is good though.

M4Real:

Sounds like I'm getting your attention either way.  But can you tell there is new stuff?

Jim
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:16:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Jim, when it comes to firearms related shows, re-runs aren't necessarily a bad thing.

Really enjoyed the "training" series with Rob Leatham.  The economy of motion he employs while shooting is truly amazing.

I'll be on the look-out for the new stuff.

Great show - - Keep up the good work
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Jim, when it comes to firearms related shows, re-runs aren't necessarily a bad thing.

Really enjoyed the "training" series with Rob Leatham.  The economy of motion he employs while shooting is truly amazing.

Rabbit9:

I've been thinking that a series on AR shooting skills would be good, from Mike Voigt who is not only USPSA President, but is also a multi-time three gun national champ.

You think?

Jim
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#5]
It's an excellent show, but I haven't been able to find it since I got "Dish" TV. The best part of the show was that my wife would sit through an entire show whereas she would start B####ing after ten minutes at a Hogh Power match.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:09:35 AM EDT
[#6]
A show on AR shooting skills would be great.  I tend to think that anything that promotes firearms training is a good thing.  It highlights the responsible gun owners out there and helps the cause so to speak.  Keep the shows coming, the only show I really look forward to...  
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:12:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rabbit9:

I've been thinking that a series on AR shooting skills would be good, from Mike Voigt who is not only USPSA President, but is also a multi-time three gun national champ.

You think?

Jim

Jim, speaking as someone who shoots every tactical rifle match he can, I think it would be a great series.  Mike's reputation precedes him. Any information that he could provide on high speed guns/gear and the application thereof would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#8]
No, I can't tell there are new stuff as you put it. I thought it was all re-runs at this point. Your shows are not timed well for west coast viewing but this is typical as cable networks are very east coast centric.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 6:45:11 AM EDT
[#9]
jim,

I keep missing it. Oln seems to run it at the times when i can't get to the tv. On the bright side i got Neilsen picked this week. I looked up the airtimes and WILL list it in the diary.

mike
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
jim,

I keep missing it. Oln seems to run it at the times when i can't get to the tv. On the bright side i got Neilsen picked this week. I looked up the airtimes and WILL list it in the diary.

mike

Mike and Stator:

I don't mind if you want to cheat a bit in our favor... you do have that "Pissing off the Whole Planet" logo to live up to.

But I'd rather you were seeing what I'm still doing for you.

California does get some help in the OLN prime time schedule when they play AS on Fridays first at 5:30PM your time, and then re-run that same show at 8:30PM your time.  That's why they repeat their prime time... to give you a decent shot as seeing it.

Otherwise, yeah, 6:00AM Saturday morning is a little early for you guys out there.

Jim
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 7:18:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I wish my cable carried it.
TNN WHAT DID YOU DO??

GLOCK23
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I watched it last night here in AZ. I watch it regardless of the subject matter, but it's even more interesting when it's covering a topic I like. The Steel Challenge show was cool, like you said on the show it was kind of a Rob Leatham special. It would've been nice to mention what language his partner spoke, and it would be nice if you guys would give some more details on the actual hardware the shooters are using as well as maybe get some training tips from them. I'd bet a lot of people are interested in sports like the Steel Challenge, but don't know where to start.

I'm not really nit-picking, I really like the show and I appreciate that you ask our opinion on it. I watch it whenever I can, I sometimes schedule my day around it if I know your show is going to be on.

Treetop:

Several Answers:

With a name like Sakai... that would be Japanese, that is his native language.

Caliber for the Steel Challenge must be 9mm or larger, however there is no "power factor" so the loads are quite light to help the shooter hear whether he has a "clang" meaning a hit.  And the light loads mean the full "race guns" are lightened... usually drilled full of holes to lose weight in the slide... trying to get the fastest possible lock time.

Now, if you want to know what show is on and what time... you can't use the American Shooter website, which is not well maintained these days.

Instead, I'll nominate my site:  www.JimScoutten.com  then click "guns" then "TV schedule" and there you'll find some notes on which shows have new content before hitting the link into the OLN website that lists all the American Shooter show listings.... and this stuff is quite accurate in content and times.  Just remember all times posted are Eastern... so count off by up to three time zones going West to get the time in your area.

Jim

Link Posted: 11/10/2002 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Jim, have you given any thought to doing a show focusing on our youth shooters?
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
www.JimScoutten.com

Hey!  RBAD... I fixed it!

JS
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 8:56:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Jim, have you given any thought to doing a show focusing on our youth shooters?

Just had one on the air... National Scholastic Trap Shooting Final Competition from this year at the Grand.

That ran on Friday night and yesterday morning, but it will run again.

Jim
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I guess I've been pretty lucky. Sometimes OLN will have one show listed, but another show would be on.  A couple weeks ago, American Shooter was on almost every weeknight at 10pm.  OLN appears to be giving the show more time slots.

As for showing various shooting sports, keep up the good work showing what is out there.  I had never heard of the North/ South Skirmishers Association, and felt they deserve as much attention as the more mainstream organizations like IDPA, IPSC, and SASS receive.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#22]
goddammit!!  verizon in VT doesnt carry OLN !!!
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#23]
... Yes, Jim-Scoutten. Saw Robbie on your new episode last night.
He is a friend of the family and I believe he's a positive image for your already great show.
He's shooting Desert Classic at Rio Salado this weekend. Not sure how he's doing
Keep up the good work!

Oh, and yeah, I have to ask:

Would you consider running for office in the NRA?

... You would have a HUGE base of support if so.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't get OLN either [>(]

Fortunately I have a buddy who does, he Tapes them and I see them eventually.

Link Posted: 11/10/2002 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Great to see you back Jim. Has OLN USA had any luck convincing OLN Canada to pick up American Shooter. I e-mailed OLN Canada around the time you did the switch from TNN and didn't even get a auto-respond e-mail!

Striker:

Nothing new on Canada that I know of.

No good luck North of the border.

Jim
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
... Yes, Jim-Scoutten. Saw Robbie on your new episode last night.
He is a friend of the family and I believe he's a positive image for your already great show.
He's shooting Desert Classic at Rio Salado this weekend. Not sure how he's doing
Keep up the good work!

Oh, and yeah, I have to ask:

Would you consider running for office in the NRA?

... You would have a HUGE base of support if so.

Winston:

It's hard to imagine Rob not winning anything he enters this year, for the guy who I asked 9 years ago:  "Are you too old to still win championships?"  He's had an amazing year... culminating in the World Title in South Africa!

NRA???   I already show up as the speaker around these parts for several Friends of the NRA dinners each year...

But you mean like on the board?  

How do you do that?

Jim
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I must be some sort of American Shooter junkie; I caught the trap shooting show and the Steel Challenge show, thrice each! I watch all the reruns too. I always catch stuff that I missed before or forgot. Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I must be some sort of American Shooter junkie; I caught the trap shooting show and the Steel Challenge show, thrice each! I watch all the reruns too. I always catch stuff that I missed before or forgot. Keep up the good work!

Jetlag:

It's the jetlag thing... get's me the same way... I can't remember a thing the day after.

Link Posted: 11/10/2002 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Jim- Love the show. Noticed you haven't had any shooting of arrows with Byron's wife throwing targets lately. Thanks for removing that cringe factor for me.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Jim- Love the show. Noticed you haven't had any shooting of arrows with Byron's wife throwing targets lately. Thanks for removing that cringe factor for me.

KKyle:

You missed Friday night and Saturday morning:  Byron shooting aspirin tablets tossed up by wife, Wanda.

Sorry about that, but no change in position -- that they are professionals who are believed to know what they are doing.

Jim

Link Posted: 11/10/2002 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Now that you're back to 8 am EST i find it easier to catch.  But todays (11/10) show seemed to have new steel challenge and trick shooting (awsome 30 yd double shot backwards!) but gun tech seemed to be a repeat.  Are you guys mixing things up?

BTW is this shot at a set, your house or what?  The den and the range setups are in my dreams...hmmm maybe i need new dreams.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Must have missed it, but this morning he was shooting Annie Oakley style. I've seen the aspirin shoot before though. Don't worry, it doesn't bother me enough to miss the show, you're literally the only show in town when it comes to the shooting sports. My duty to watch.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Must have missed it, but this morning he was shooting Annie Oakley style. I've seen the aspirin shoot before though. Don't worry, it doesn't bother me enough to miss the show, you're literally the only show in town when it comes to the shooting sports. My duty to watch.

I appreciate the duty.

This morning was shooting double backwards, right.  The aspirin shot was Friday night and SATURDAY morning.  

Told you, OLN is running lots of shows on the weekends.

Jim
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#35]

You think?

Jim

Jim, I just know a series on AR shoointg skills would be excellent and we all would benefit. I sure did from watching the series with Rob.

Rgds!
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm watching the IRC rerun right now! Good stuff!

Thank God for OLN!
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Old or new I still like the show.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey Jim,

The show is great! Caught it Friday night and Saturday. I even got to see a little of Car and Driver. You've got the life!
Heres to another great season...

Eric
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Jim if you ever need an assistant or someone to fill-in for you, please let me know.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Jim if you ever need an assistant or someone to fill-in for you, please let me know.

Jim:

This could be good!  Your first name is the same so that would work.

All you need to do now is walk around saying: "keep 'em in the ten ring." to everybody you meet this week... and you'll be ready.

Link Posted: 11/10/2002 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Jim...

I'm glad to see you guys got away from the "New TNN". I'd love to see you guy do a show on some of the smaller shooting schools around the country. We have one here in Ohio called TDI (www.tdiohio.com). They offer all of the classes the other guys do, without the exorbitant cost. It would be great to get some of the lesser know guys some airplay. Another that comes to mind is Badlands Tactical Training Center. I was there this past September, and the owner Bobby Whittington has a place second to none. Give it some thought. Keep up the good work. The show just keeps getting better and better.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 11:44:48 PM EDT
[#42]
I have been watching it on a regular basis now that Uncle Sam is done with me.
My wife even called me away from the computer to watch the show tonight.
That backwards mirror arrow shoot was cool.
Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#43]
I usually watch the Friday night show.  This week was the young olympic champion woman.  After seeing that she is an all around shooter and is restoring a Cobra, my wife said, "you want to leave me for her, don't you."

Love the show, best half hour on television.  I have watched the show on and off so many of the old ones are still new to me.  I'll stick around for one I've seen before as well.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

BTW, Car and Driver is my favorite car show as well.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 5:47:43 AM EDT
[#44]
sadly, i havent been able to see the show in some time.
about the only thing i can think of to improve the show would be to make it longer.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#45]
I called cable again for the weekly OLN update and its still a minimum of 8 months before we get it (which probably means they are lying and it will never happen)
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I called cable again for the weekly OLN update and its still a minimum of 8 months before we get it (which probably means they are lying and it will never happen)

Hoplite:

I do appreciate the effort, but you probably are a strong candidate for a mini-dish.  Nothing gets their attention like cancelling their service.

Beyond that... Tonight we're in Dearborn, MI working and a secret video project for Ford.  Biggest opportunity of my car career and you won't see the results until 2004... but remember you heard it was coming here first!

Jim
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Smells like a mustang to me!

Regarding an episode that aired a few weeks ago, I still want one of those real cool bullet stoppers so I can shoot (safely) in my basement.  Who makes them?
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Mustang?  Nope, don't think so.

How about the GT40?  

(Or whatever they're going to call it since Ford doesn't own the "GT40" trademark.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#49]
I believe they're calling it the Ford GT.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 1:34:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Any chance of you selling the shows on DVD or video?  I`d like to see the show, but I don`t think we`ll be getting a dish any time soon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top