Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2002 8:58:55 PM EDT
I picked up a VZ24 BRNO Mauser on gunbroker today and am looking for some ideas.  I would like to keep the action, bolt, and trigger assembly and build a rifle.  I'm not a big fan of 8mm so I am looking for other ideas.  Any caliber suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Just have MilTech restore that bad boy. They can change it to a 7mm or 6.5mm or 7.5mm Swiss if you like I am sure. They re-did a Garand for me as a gift to my Dad and now he won't fire the thing. They do beautiful work.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 4:21:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is what I charge, to give you an idea:

Rebarrel and cut chamber $85+ barrel cost

drill/tap 4 holes for weaver bases $35

forge/polish bolt handle for scope clearence $35

You picked one of the best actions to start from.  The VZ-24 is a good quality strong action.  I have built up rifles dozens of times on these actions.

I believe my next project will be a 22-250 Mauser, something to smoke coyotes.

Balming
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:38:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a VZ-24 action that I had a .280 remington built on. I used a Bell & Carlson stock, Midway A&B barrel, and Timney trigger.
I also had a winchester style safety installed.
When I sighted it in I did not measure the groups but I am sure that they were  sub MOA. My current project is a VZ 24 actioned 220 swift using a 28 inch McGowen barrel in
a Midway laminated Varminter stock. The barrel on this gun is 1.2 inches in diameter from chamber to muzzle. If you get it done right
you will be pleased with the results. I wouldn't expect to save any money over a facory gun though. Good luck it's a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I like and have several Mauser based rifles and I can assure you before you get done some awful nice factory rifles will look like a real bargain.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought one two weekends ago at the funshow as a shooter.  Paid $69 for it.  I have a Yugo M48 with all matching unfired, serial #000007.  That one remains unfired, this is my have fun with the corrosive ammo 8mm fun gun!
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 4:52:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Here is what I charge, to give you an idea:

Rebarrel and cut chamber $85+ barrel cost

drill/tap 4 holes for weaver bases $35

forge/polish bolt handle for scope clearence $35

You picked one of the best actions to start from.  The VZ-24 is a good quality strong action.  I have built up rifles dozens of times on these actions.

I believe my next project will be a 22-250 Mauser, something to smoke coyotes.

Balming

What Balming says.

I have 2 M98's. 1 is NAZI proof marked, had it done in 30-06 w/ light weght barrel, set into a Bell-Carlson stock, Timney Sportsman trigger--my deer rifle.

The second is done in 22-250, Douglas fat barrel w/ 1x12 twist, set in a Ramline grey stock, Timney trigger. This is my groundhog gun.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 7:27:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Have it rechambered for 6.5x55mm.
Why? (a.) Ammo is relatively widely available and not terribly expensive. (b.) The 6.5x55mm has a larger case capacity than .260 Remington so if you decide to handload your ammo you can load them really hot especially since you have a large ring mauser. (c.) the 6.5mm caliber offers a very high sectional density and high ballistic coefficient with a mild recoil (compared to similarly loaded 30 caliber rounds).

Another good choice would be to have it rechambered in 7x57 mm.

Use a Barrel Twist rate of 1 in 8.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top