Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2002 11:08:01 AM EDT
Can anybody out there tell me a little about the 5.56mm amo used in Vietnam. I've just started collecting ammo and I am curious about how ammo was distributed to the soldiers, did it come in boxes? Pre-loaded mags? Cloth belts? What did it look like? Like a typical .223 shell? Does anybody have pics or links to a site that discusses this topic
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#1]
you posted this 2 times.  i assume it came in big green boxes like in the WW2 movies.  and um i am guess the 5.56x 45mm NATO round looks exactly the same as it does today.  but what the hell do i know?
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, lots of info there Citabria.. Having a bad day???
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I have red tip tracer in the original box, headstamped WCC-68. Similar to todays 20 round box for most LC & WCC ammo. Have a bunch of M2 Ball boxes, shells dated/stamped LC-'65-'75. Most likely ammo went to Nam in ammo can with boxxed ammo inside, other than belted M80/M13 link and 50 cal on link in can.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I seem to remember wooden slated creats wire bound with two cans, 7 pocket bandoleers marked 5.56 MM, BALL M193, 10RD. CLIPS, LOT LC #-##, each had one spoon and 1 brass safety pin.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#5]
two stage I'm new to the board, so excuse.
You are right on the mark only the tracers came in brown cardboard boxs of 20. Also two stripper clips to each pocket inside a paper sleeve. also a lead seal on crate.

cops are citizens with more responsibility
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#6]
No excuse necessary 721, I try and not remember somethings, the rest is just a blur or a case of CRS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top