Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2002 3:50:35 PM EDT
I ordered an 870 with the factory 2 shot mag extension.  Upon arrival, I began field stripping to install the Surefire Weaponlight.  I was able to get the mag extension and follower spring apart but the magazine cap will not budge.  I'm afraid to use force.  If this part does not come off, I could never disassemble the gun to properly clean.  Does anyone know if this is supposed to come off?  Please help.

Link Posted: 11/6/2002 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I got mine a little too tight one time and I had to use a rag and a pair of channel lock pliers to get it off.  You will then need the forend wrench to get the nut off of the action bar.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes it comes off. It may be real tight if factory installed. Like TACO said, you may need a rag and some pliars to help it off.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Tight, yes, but also the small detent on the barrel flange may be new and not have the edges worn yet to create a slight radius to allow detent to glide over the indents on the nut.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#4]
have you tried penetrating oil?  i used it once to get a buttstock off of my ar. spray, wait for an hour, then give it a try.

later
lojack
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Instead of a rag, try an old leather belt or scrap leather...wont slip as bad and if it does the jaws of the pliars or vise, won't cut through it and scar your new baby.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Instead of a rag, try an old leather belt or scrap leather...wont slip as bad and if it does the jaws of the pliars or vise, won't cut through it and scar your new baby.

Ditto!! Works every time!
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, it is supposed to come off. But like the others said, the detent sometimes "freezes" if not lubed, or if new. Keep trying; it lets loose and spins freely.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 1:33:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everbody, I'll give it a try tonight.  Been out of town and couldn't respond.

Thanks again.
Tim
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
some of the new remington's come with a warning something like "this weapon for civilian use only and will not accept law enforcement acessories."  make sure that forearm fits on there

i have gotten em off with rags and channel locks tho
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#10]

"this weapon for civilian use only and will not accept law enforcement acessories."

That means it won't accept a mag extension because of the dimple in the mag tube, which is fairly easily removed. Since T-blaster got a factory mag extension I don't think he has to worry about that.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#11]
The Armory of the department I work for told us once you put the magazine extension on, we are not allowed to try to take it apart because they torque the nut to "factory" specs.  So it will take a bit of force to get it off.  Make sure to get it back on tight.  The armory does it for a reason.  You dont want that baby coming loose.

The leather idea is right on.  Good luck.

BTW, where did you buy the weapon light?  I am interested in getting one, but have not found a good price yet.

AZTrooper
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

BTW, where did you buy the weapon light?  I am interested in getting one, but have not found a good price yet.

AZTrooper

AZTrooper
I got the Surefire light (618FA) from Donnie at Sable Co.  www.sableco.net/index_t.htm
He advertises it for $160 and it was in stock, plus he's a great guy to deal with.

BTW, I got it apart with the leather and channel locks.  Thanks again everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top