Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2002 9:22:25 PM EDT
Does anyone if 45 Super can be fired in any of the 45ACP AR-15 uppers?
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 7:36:04 AM EDT
[#1]
im pretty sure u cant it may fit maynot but remember the rules of gun safety "use only ammunition in the firearm it is chambered in"

45 super in a 45 chamber doesnt sound like a good idea to me. i know u can shoot 45 acp in a super chamber but thats designed for both.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 8:23:21 AM EDT
[#2]
That's something I would avoid. I don't think it would chamber anyway. Better to err on the side of good judgement, and not try it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#3]
It's done all the time in pistols, with merely the change of a recoil spring.  I don't see why an AR-15 would be different (I may be wrong though).  It's external dimensions are the same as the .45 ACP.  I'm pretty sure I've read posts by people who have shot it out of ARs.  

Check out other gun boards and do a search, or give these manufacturers a shout...

www.texas-ammo.com/45super.htm
www.triton-ammo.com/

Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#4]
The 45 super has the same dimensions as the ACP.
The difference is the thickness of the case walls. Super is made thicker to withstand the added pressures of the load. I would not try it myself unless I knew that my upper could handle the added pressure. The other concern would be the amount of recoil. It may not cycle correctly.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That's something I would avoid. I don't think it would chamber anyway. Better to err on the side of good judgement, and not try it.

It would chamber just fine.

The only question is if the bolt/barrel/etc will handle the extra pressures.

I shoot .45 Super all the time in my stock USP .45
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#6]
The .45 Super case is thicker only arount the case head.  The reason for this is that 1911 barrels are unsupported.  I don't know, but I don't think that is the case with AR-15 uppers.  There is no difference in the strength or thickness of a 45 super bbl.  The reason I asked is that I have a bunch 45 super ammo and no longer have a 45 Super.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#7]
A friend inquired w/ OLY arms regarding this very point. They said, YES, our uppers can take the added pressure.

I would check w/ them first, before I believe the ramblings of a guy posting on AR15.com...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top