Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2002 3:50:41 AM EDT
I am going to get a "big-bore" upper for my AR, and I am trying to decide between the two. AFAIK the ballistic data is approximately the same, but does anyone know how compare in quality, reliability, ammo availability, etc?
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#1]
.50 Beo is newer, and probably rarer for now, but .458 SOCOM is going out of production AFAIK.

.50 Beo is just kicking up production.  As soon as brass is relatively available, I'd go that route.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 9:36:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
.458 SOCOM is going out of production AFAIK.

Uhhh..what?  No it isn't.  In fact, now that Tromix has reopened it's doors, there are TWO companies producing the .458...  Teppo Jutsu being the other.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#3]
im kinda stuck in the same boat. but after shooting a beowolf at the AZ shoot i think thats what im going to go with.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
.458 SOCOM is going out of production AFAIK.

Uhhh..what?  No it isn't.  In fact, now that Tromix has reopened it's doors, there are TWO companies producing the .458...  Teppo Jutsu being the other.

Oops, my mistake.  I read a thread about it a while back.  Guess I need to get caught up.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#5]
They're both pretty nifty for putting big holes in things. The .50 might be illegal soon depending on how the vote goes today; and I'm dead serious about that. I think the biggest advantage to the .458 is the variety of bullets. And you get a nice shoulder on your brass to headspace off of. I think the .50 is a bit cheaper. The commercial .50 ammo goes for about $1, whereas the .458 stuff goes for about $1.50. I doubt you'll be disappointed in either.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Just do what I did and get both.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I had another nice reply, but then the site went ka-blooie, so here's a quick retry (I better make it short before it konks out again)

www.teppojutsu.com/products.htm: Developer of the 458 SOCOM, and currently producing them.

www.tromix.com/Welcome.htm: Back in action, and producing 50AE, 440 CorBon Magnum, and 458 SOCOM uppers and rifles. Some other big bore options to think about.

www.alexanderarms.com/beowulf.html: And the infamous 50 Beowulf.

CorBon's Online Store: Your source for the single commercial 458 SOCOM load and the three 440 CorBon Magnum loads.

There are two 50 Beowulf commercial loads available through the dealers.

And 50AE seems to available anywhere in a multitude of loads and brands.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#8]
tag so i can read at home.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#9]
458 SOCOM!

From what I hear 4th hand BTW, is that the .50 Beowulf is having it's issues.  It may be too much for the DOT to handle but they rec'd 40 or so Beowulfs as a pilot and they returned them all to Alexander Arms.  I DO NOT KNOW THIS AS FACT.....

Longshot_Va and I have both shot the 440 Corbon uppers and 458 SOCOM uppers from Tromix and they are extremely accurate and pack a hell of a punch.

I have a 440 Sledgehammer rifle, a 458 A2 SOCOM upper, and a 458 SOCOM flattop upper (on order).  

The nice thing about the 458 SOCOM -- no need to modify mags.  AT ALL......I understand you may need to modify certain mags for the Beowulf.  They have not said which types, but my guess is it will be a crap shoot on mags.

Ed
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#10]
SHIVAN, how does the 440 handle? What sort of mags do you use? What kind of recoil?
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I havn't heard of ANY issues w/ the Beowulf... In fact everyone that I've spoken to has had zero probs... All the range reports, including magazine etc. have given the Beowulf  a thumbs up. As w/ any manufacturer there are a few lemons that get out. But no big deal.  I'm sure there are a few .458 SOCOM lemons as well. As far as I'm concerned it's Chevy vs. Ford.  People tend to defend their purchases and recommend what they bought, that's life. And w/ the group purchase of SOCOM's you'll probably end up hearing more about them.

However both are of high quality. Both guns appear to be reliable and even more so with hand loading. Both are bad ass and you wouldn't be sorry with either choice.

But for me it came down to price and the fact that I wanted a .50 due to proposed legislation. My Beowulf upper should be delivered tomorrow or the next day. I'm sure I'll post a range report at a later date.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
...As w/ any manufacturer there are a few lemons that get out. But no big deal.  I'm sure there are a few .458 SOCOM lemons as well. As far as I'm concerned it's Chevy vs. Ford.  People tend to defend their purchases and recommend what they bought, that's life. And w/ the group purchase of SOCOM's you'll probably end up hearing more about them....

sidearm:

Again, this was 4th hand pass me down type info, but it was 60 Beowulf rifles passed on to the Coast Guard and they sent them ALL back...not sure WHY, just heard they came back.  Could have been that the sissies couldn't handle the recoil, or it could have been the same bolt issues that plagued the Littner-Wise .499 rifles.

Yes, Chevy vs. Ford is a good analogy, but it appears Ford didn't show up for a $200 off sale for the members of AR15.com, Chevy did......

Got to LOVE a small company willing to help it's fellow gun lovers out.  I think the Tromix/Teppo uppers go for $865 in full retail.  The group buy was $675 IIRC.

Jetlag:

You have to buy $20 conversion for standard AR mags, it consists of a machined follower and a polyurethane spacer.  The kits are supposedly in stock at www.tromix.com.

Once I got it sighted in I put 3 shots inside of each other, and two within an inch.

Ed

Ed

Link Posted: 11/5/2002 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#13]
SHIVAN:

Hmmm... Coast Guard huh, is there any way of tracking that 4th hand info on the Beowulf? I would be interested in finding out the specifics. Thanks-
-sidearm
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I can ask MartyW at Teppo if he has heard anything, but the guys at Alexander Arms are a little more "close to the vest" as they are truly providing to some alphabet boys direct from their camp in the Radford Arsenal.

I doubt I will get it from them......

I'll email Marty tonight.

Ed
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 6:01:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I just saw the 10" upper on the tromix web site...that thing is super sweet!!!

anyone know how much velocity you loose with the loss of barrel length (I assume Cor-Bon's numbers are based ont eh 16" barrel)?  Also, if you handload with a faster powder can you overcome the velocity loss (while staying in safe CUP pressures)?  

Link Posted: 11/6/2002 7:29:00 AM EDT
[#16]
sidearm:

Some of my story is right, some is not.  Can't explain further, you'll have to hunt on your own.  Sorry.

That being said.....

Here's the benefit of Tromix and Teppo Jutsu:

You can order a custom this or that in any configuration you can legally own.  As a regular Joe.  If you want a cusotm from Alexander Arms, you will need to be LEO or Gov't Thug Agency to get "custom" uppers/rifles.

You should see some of the stuff MartyW @ Teppo is turning out for the average guy.  It is SWEEET!!!!!!

The price is good on the Beowulf's but you get one flavor.  I was the kid who mixed all the sodas at the soda fountain.....I like my stuff unique.

Ed
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#17]
i would go .458. both are unconventional, but thier something about that massive, but still necked down big bore that just mashes my knashers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top