Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2002 5:56:10 AM EDT
I am buying a Winchester Model 70 today in one of the above calibers.....does anyone have experience or info on which would be the best all-round cartridge?

The rifle would be used for everything from hunting varmints up to big game and possible tactical use.

Jarhead94
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 6:31:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't taken the plunge yet, but when I do I'm going for the .300WSM.

This helped me .300WSM
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#2]
There are probably slightly better quality bullets available for handloading in 7mm than .270. And a wider variety to choose from.

These are excellent cartridges, much more logical in design than the older belted-type magnums. But it seems to me the manufacturers are not doing their customers any favors by turning out so many near-identical variations. All these new rounds cannot survive in the market, and some folks will end up with orphaned rifles 10 years from now. Just looking at Winchester, how much practical difference can there really be between a .277" diameter .270 bullet and a .284" diameter 7mm bullet? Even worse, is there any difference at all in performance between the .300 WSM and the Remington .300 Short Action Ultra Magnum? It sounds to me like Winchester was first up with this idea; Remington should have just chambered for the competition's round like gun manufacturers have always done before, or at least come out with a .338 variant or something instead.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There are probably slightly better quality bullets available for handloading in 7mm than .270. And a wider variety to choose from.

These are excellent cartridges, much more logical in design than the older belted-type magnums. But it seems to me the manufacturers are not doing their customers any favors by turning out so many near-identical variations. All these new rounds cannot survive in the market, and some folks will end up with orphaned rifles 10 years from now. Just looking at Winchester, how much practical difference can there really be between a .277" diameter .270 bullet and a .284" diameter 7mm bullet? Even worse, is there any difference at all in performance between the .300 WSM and the Remington .300 Short Action Ultra Magnum? It sounds to me like Winchester was first up with this idea; Remington should have just chambered for the competition's round like gun manufacturers have always done before, or at least come out with a .338 variant or something instead.

The .300wsm is not a belted cartridge, and is a bit hotter than the .30-06 and .308.  Of course, it will kick a bit more than the .270 and 7mm...unless you put a brake on the barrel.  I'd pick the .300wsm because once you have the brass, there are tons of .30 caliber bullets on the market to play with for reloading.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks fellas....cinched the deal today on the .300WSM

I am not a reloader, so some points were mute, but well recieved.

Once I get my collection back up to par, I am gonna start learning to reload.

Jarhead94
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Winchester M70 in 300WSM but I have yet to fire it. Winchester is also about to release the .223 WSSM (Win super short mag) and .243 WSSM. THe .223 supposedly has a muzzle velocity of about 4400 fps.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Winchester is also about to release the .223 WSSM (Win super short mag) and .243 WSSM. THe .223 supposedly has a muzzle velocity of about 4400 fps.

And a barrel life of what...100 rounds?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top