Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2002 1:46:11 AM EDT
I just bought a 03-A3 but it is not military,by that I don't mean sportsised by just cuting the stock ,.ect!

The one piece lower runs the whole lenght flush with the front sight,not the 1903,03-A3,or A4 wood runs this long!

And the barell is bobbed at the front sight,and it appears to be bedded!

Styer Aug says that after the war Montgomery Wards,Sears and mmany others made sporting rifles of the 03-A3.   Has any body else seen one of these rifles?

Pictures to be posted!

Thanks    Bob
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 2:09:12 AM EDT
[#1]
If you don't mind me asking, what's it worth?
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 3:57:07 AM EDT
[#2]
bobbyjack

My grandfather had one of these rifles, an 03.  It needed to be brought up to date so I sent it to Tacticalstocks to be worked on.  

I am having a new stock and barrel put on it.  This should make it an pleasent rifle to shot, and it will be nice to have a rifle that has been in my family for three generations.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you don't mind me asking, what's it worth?

I got your E-mail, yes if it were stock all but the wood would be a steal at that price,but like I posted the barrel has been chopped off just past the front site!

Looks exactly like a Mauser type M.

Has a frontiersman with long rifle medallion in stock,and gold diamond in front of front sling swivel.       The barrel is bedded into the one piece lowwer that runs the length of the barrel!

Strange duck,probably some gunsmiths Idea of how to make an 03-A3 into a Mauser type M!

Need to shoot it to see if its what I think I bought.      
  Bob  
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you’ve got a sporterized 03.

In addition to the “bubbarized” military rifles that we all know and cringe about, it was common during the early and mid 20th century for custom gunsmiths to make beautiful rifles based on military rifles.  The 03 was extremely popular for such conversions.

And, of course, some conversions were less fancy – and were often done on somebody’s kitchen table.  Since your rifle apparently has the original front sight and original finish, it doesn’t sound like a really good conversion (no offense!).

You seem to have what was referred to as a Mannilicher stock, which was somewhat popular back then (and Ruger still sells rifles stocked that way).  However, it generally was used on barrel lengths of no more than 20 inches or so.  Outfits such as Bishop, Fagen and Herter’s sold semi-inletted stocks like this for a variety of military rifles.

I can’t find a picture of a sporterized 03 with a Mannlicher stock.  However, below is a nice example of a converted 03:

Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:22:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve decided to go ahead and post these photos for bobbyjack since he seems to be having some technical problems.

Sort of a sad ending to a great rifle!  (I'm assuming this is not some rare, valuable, and highly sought after collector's item - and I doubt that it is.)

Link Posted: 11/6/2002 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#7]
It looks fine to me, I bet it still goes bang when you pull the trigger.  If the stock doesn't fit you well that could always be replaced, and with no guilt since it's already been modified.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#8]
The 1903 Board at www.jouster.com will have all your answers..the people who write the books on '03 contribute there knowledge here.

An example of a U-S Mil '03A3 it ain't.

An example of a sporterized 03a3 from an earlier era it definatly is.

If it shoots well..enjoy. Re-Converting back might be financially imprudent, considering U-S  Surplus CMP 03A3's should still be available for about $400 bucks.

Shoot it, enjoy it. :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top